1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Pelton: Stardom no longer seems to be in the cards for Thomas Robinson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 24, 2013.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

CH may have an agenda, but I don't see how anybody could think Pelton's comments aren't spot on here. Obviously Robinson isn't gonna be a star.

The guy is 22 years old already and didn't look anything like a star in his rookie season. His feel for the game is rather limited. He's raw offensively. He can't shoot. He has below average size and thus struggles to finish around the rim.
    Some of those things can be improved upon, certainly, and Robinson very well could still turn out Kris Humphries with much good defense, which would be quite a useful player, actually, but there's zero chance Robinson turns out to be a "star" and anybody who thinks so is kidding themselves.

#61 HMMMHMM, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Pelton was likely judging Patterson (as he does other NBA players) based upon his accumulated performance stats. Given Patterson's 2nd year numbers (99 ORtg and .457 TS%), it is not surprising that Pelton would conclude that Patterson was not going to be helpful if he was to make a prediction "about a year or so ago."

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Yes. And because I didn't think Patterson's second year numbers were indicative of the kind of player he is, I disagreed with Pelton at the time, just to be clear.

EDIT: OK, found the link, though it turns out it actually wasn't Kevin Pelton, but rather David Locke -- on a podcast with Kevin Pelton -- talking about how not very useful a player Patterson appears to be (according to some [of his] numbers). Kevin Pelton more than anything appeared to be surprised by how bad Patterson's second year numbers were. My bad on that one.

http://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonja...sters-did-lockout-schedule-increase-injuries/

(Patterson name doesn't get mentioned until a minute or so later, but to get the context you probably should start listening at 18:34. Ends 21:57)

#63 HMMMHMM, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  4. liveguy

liveguy Member

I laughed.

Funny how PPat's name found a way to come up...but no way is there a motive. lol

People aren't questioning motive.....their simply laughing at your intent to *expose* some kind of...I don't know....bad move?

You think letting PPat go was mistake.....it wasn't.

Nobody cares anymore.

If TRob nets you Giannis Adetokoubo, then it really wasn't.

PPat is gone.
    PPat is marginal at best.

Move on, dude.

5. Carl Herrera

Patterson's name came up because other people mentioned him. I only posted what Pelton said about Robinson and some people brought up Patterson's name and I responded.

I have said many times that trading Patterson is not a mistake in itself if the team gets a useful talent in return-- the return of Thomas Robinson, however, is not a very good basketball player.

Who knows what Robinson nets and who the Rockets pick and whether that guy turns into a player or a bust, but those are not the topic of this thread. They are also not all that relevant as to whether the original deal is great not. The Lakers once traded Caron Butler for Kwame Brown. They also drafted Javaris Crittenton 19th overall. They were later able to trade both as a part of the Pau Gasol package. It still doesn't mean that these guys don't suck or that Caron for Kwame was a good trade.

6. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Ok, we get it, you hate Trob. You post any and every article on the internet saying that Trob sucks. We've read hundreds of posts of yours saying as much, isnt it enought? Just give it a damn rest.

7. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

trob sucks balls

8. Carl Herrera

If this is what you think. Then, no, you don't actually get it.

But feel free to read other discussions if Kevin Pelton's well-thought-out objective analysis does not interest you. Plenty of Jeremy Lin threads and Dwight-CP fantasy posts out there.

9. thekad

thekad Member

Neither Thomas Robinson or Patrick Bargnani will be Rockets soon, but this kid posts a obvious, offhand comment from a chat as a new thread hahah

I think it might be time for him to reevaluate his life.

10. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Hopefully Jeremy Lin is traded soon to him and trob are ball sucking buddies

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

oh come on man. i think Lin is overpayed, but ...moving Lin for no salary in return is much harder than trading T-Rob for a draft pick.

Pat has one more year left, and less upside than TRob, so why would someone give up a 1st round draft pick for him?

Pat's had 3 years to Robinson's 1; and he still couldn't crack the starting lineup on a bad Kings team.

12. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Pelton thinks Trob now has almost no chance of being a star...I don't know if this is a surprise to anyone. It seems there're many experts predicting a top weak draft this year, meaning most of the top picks this year are unlikely to become stars in their opinions.

BTW, nobody is even interested to mention Ppat's possibility of becoming a star...

13. mario_v

mario_v Member

It's time for Carl to be "humbled," DD style, if you know what Im saying...

1 person likes this.
  14. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

this is starting to be banworthy

1 person likes this.
  15. Carl Herrera

Too bad you are not a moderator.

All I did was post an objective take by a respected basketball writer (Morey writes the forward for Pelton's Basketball Prospectus) and some of you people spazzed out. If Clutch thinks that I am taking up too much space that should be reserved for Jeremy Lin discussions and random free agency fantasies, he probably would have silenced me long ago.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

...but he could turn out to be a Paul Milsap (not saying he WILL). If the contention is that he was drafted too high, that's a more than valid point; but i just think it's premature to make the case that he won't ever be a starting-caliber player, or even a really good player. The shortfalls in his game that can be improved upon are likely to be improved upon given the kid's track-record of hard work and dedication. The athleticism is going to continue to give him an advantage on both sides of the ball, and his floor is being an excellent rebounder. So ...my point is that while CH wants to write the guy off as garbage, it's far to early to make those kinds of outrageous claims, and just because Pelton says that he won't be a star, it doesn't mean that he won't end up being a good player.

Either way, we are likely to have a much easier time moving TRob for a pick than moving Pat for a pick.

17. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

carl herrera is to thomas robinson as tinman is to tmac

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

This fixation is a bit mind boggling. Carl, you are too smart and too good of a poster to keep doing this. Let. It. Go. Please.

I don't disagree with what Pelton is saying to this point in TRob's career. Still a ways to go, though.

19. pass_to_Hakeem

Who cares about any of them WE GOT T JONES!!!!
    I like him the best. PPat is gone and it looks like TRob is going to be gone soon. I love our PF we got now

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I have a feeling that anyone who has ever said these words has said them ironically.