1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale's candid comments about coaching this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I <a href="https://twitter.com/?#!/clutchfans/status/172526621515972608">tweeted about this</a> but there's a lot more I wanted to say about this than one could post in 140 characters.

McHale can be guarded in his comments -- he's tough and hard-nosed. That wasn't the case here... he was very open about how proud he is of the team and how far they've come since training camp.

Here's video of the post-game press conference:
    http://www.nba.com/rockets/video/2012/02/22/McHale022212MOV-2012782/index.html

"34 games this season in totality, the guys have come from where we came from that first 5-minute scrimmage on December 9th where it was actually frightening. I literally went home and almost cried myself to sleep. That was like the worst basketball I've ever seen in my life. I had 10 guys holding their shorts after a minute and a half and I thought, 'Oh my word, we may not win a game this year. I wonder what 0-66 would look like.'

Those guys have worked really hard and they've battled. I'm proud of them. (They're) buying in to the fact that they're just going to have to sometimes win ugly.
    We've got a long way to go yet but I'm proud of the guys. I'll be honest with you, they went from a group that was really, really, really hard for me to coach, to a group that I'm actually starting to enjoy a little bit, but I don't want to enjoy them too much. We'll lose our edge.
    I slept about an hour after the Minnesota game. I watched it like 5 times. I had myself so worked up at 3 o'clock in the morning I was calling people, then I knew I lost my mind. Nobody wants to talk to me at 3 o'clock in the morning. The worst thing is I tried to call people on the East coast so it was 4. I was so pissed. I [couldn't] sleep when I played poorly. That game bothered me so much. I wake up the next morning, I finally made a pot of coffee and said I'm just going to stew for 3 or 4 hours while I sit here. Then I honestly wondered, 'What am I doing? Why did I take this job? I've got to be out of my mind.' Then the guys battled back. We have a hellfight practice and it's a 2-hour film session, you jump knee-deep in them and they respond and you go, 'Ahh I love coaching!' I'm a nutjob when it comes to (that)... but I was like that as a player."

1 person likes this.
  2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I think all of the Mchale haters need to finally admit this guy is a legit coach.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

roller coaster of emotions
    good stuff

4. TheresTheDagger

That sounds like what I was doing after the TWolves game.

5. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I have definitely gained a lot of respect for Mchale as a coach. I like his old school style. It lights fires under guys asses

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He is gonna lose all of his hair and shrink to 5'6" like Jeff Van Gundy by the end of the season.

7. Yao11

Yao11 Member

His honesty really reminds me of how honest JVG can be sometimes. I love that in a coach.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

JVG is whom he reminds me of, a defensively oriented coach who demands everyone plays hard.

Love the bit about accountability, can not stand their lack of creativity on offense.

Our offense just is not pretty to watch, and I feel will be exposed big time in the playoffs just like JVG's always were.

Oh well, it tis, what tit tis.

DD

9. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

LOLOL

I can see him running onto the court to defend his players in a fight :)

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He's getting there ...

[​IMG]

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Gotta love the passion.

12. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

It's not just a job to him. So he feels for the team just like we feel for them.

I hope that Kyle Lowry has already realized how much alike McHale and he really are in terms of toughness and not being willing to lose. McHale may not have the X's and O's of the game all figured out yet but he's a bulldog when it comes to demanding defense and effort.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

we did not have an offensive minded bench at that time.
    If we could get it going off the bench... that would be perfect.

14. kharboosa

kharboosa Member

He has passion for the game, which I respect a great deal. The great ones always have passion, and more often than not they usually end up winning it all sooner or later.

I thought this hiring was a horrible mistake,especially after the first few games of the season. I was dead wrong. Once again, DMorey proving us all wrong again. Why I ever doubt this man is beyond me.

15. cod

cod Member

If he's warming up to the occasional use of Adelman's playbook. Maybe he can adopt Adelman's philosophy of never being too high, never too low. Then he'll be able to get more sleep.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Its a good philosophy for an experienced, veteran team. For a young team that's learning how to play with consistent effort, a little extra passion and exuberance from the head coach seems appropriate.

Not that Adelman can't be successful as a coach for a young squad. He's proving his excellence in Minnesota, once again.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

it's not our offense that will be exposed in the playoffs, heck the lakers and spurs offense are the most boring things going.

It's the lack of talent over a 7 game series that'll get exposed.

1 person likes this.
  18. zhen_hui88

zhen_hui88 Member

Preach it, brother!!!!

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I like that McHale is honest. I can't get the video to play right now but I am wondering if he illustrated at all what made them hard to coach? In a way, that statement rubs me the wrong way.

20. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I think it is possible with experience to get better at his job. I think thats what happened here with Kevin Mc Hale. I think he improved his coaching over time. We get the benifit of that right now as he has his experience showing up at this moment.