1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

In the same fashion, I repped you. Haha, people get so angry, right?

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You two crazy kids were meant for each other. I really think the bonding that could be done discussing the evils of McHale and his plot to hold Jeremy down could really lead to something special.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Angry...and wrong. What a combination.

4. Codman

I just got another rep. Says "annoying." Same guy?

Wish whomever it is would just admit it and have a discussion. I don't need rep. That's not what this is about.

3 people like this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I made the 2nd rep-- as a joke. Not the first, though. Also, you can't rep same person twice in a short time, must spread rep around etc.

6. Codman

Ah, gotcha. Cool Cool. :)

Some of the reps are just creepy...they're passive-aggressive and obviously from guys that don't like me. Many are from the (unmentioned player) fan club.

Plus, it's not like I have that much rep anyway. I probably have the least amount of guys that joined in 2001. Opinions don't change bc of green bars....

I mean, I like the guy like the rest of the Rockets, but do I have to pretend like anyone is perfect?

Anyway, I appreciate your humor. I have never seen the board like this. It can't be defined as "good" or "bad" but the addition of JL has made things weirder than I could ever fathom.

7. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

'Annoying' again. This time from me. I bet you never had more rep's in one thread than this one.

BTW you can only get one rep from one individual poster.

8. Codman

Thanks, I guess.

9. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Agreed. McHale probably evaluate forwards better than guards. I wonder how high McHale had thought of Dragic and Lowry. Especially Lowry.

10. Carl Herrera

http://www.sports790.com/media/podc...allilo/tuesday-february-11th-2014-1-24322626/

http://www.sports790.com/media/podc...allilo/tuesday-february-11th-2014-2-24322625/

McHale on during the end of the first hour and the start of the 2nd.

Mentions that he expects Daryl to be aggressive at the deadline but doesn't expect anything to happen since nobody is just giving away good players. He's be fine if there isn't a trade since the team is in a good place with guys getting back healthy but it's up to Morey and Les to decide.

He says Omer is in a good place and just wants to play basketball now.

Charlie asks about the team maybe needing a wing defender and shooter. McHale agrees and mentions that they can use maybe "a 6'7" guys who can guard 2s and 3s." But again says nobody is just giving these guys away.

11. clutz

clutz Member

He got pretty animated there talking about the ice fishing.

12. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

This guy is Wesly Johnson, I expect Morey to trade Cassip & 2005 second round pic to LAL for him

13. vladyx92

vladyx92 Member

McHale is much more willing to talk meaningful stuff on these podcasts. Some of the pressers he's doing at TC are absolutely full of meaningless BS (ball got sticky/we need more energy/we didn't play hard enough). Love to hear interesting thoughts from him.

I would be all in for Wesley Johnson. That guy is long, can jump, and finish alley-oops.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Kevin McHale on 790 a few minutes back. Here is a quick recap. Excuse me for grammar or spelling as I'm posting from my phone.

790: On slow start?
    KM: Surprised by it. We started off well at sac. Prepared well the morning. No fire coming out. They bum rushed us. Played one of our worst games in terms of decision making. Did not deserve to win

790: On 20 TO? Tough to beat good teams with that number
    KM: We got to be aggressive but making bad passes. Missing the easy pass going for the hockey assist

790: Better than clips on record. What's wrong with clips? Why do the give you trouble?
    They have great players at 1 and 4 spots.
    KM: You have 6 match ups each night - bench match up and want to win that and the 1-5 matchup. Hamilton played well off the bench so did Asik. Benches were a wash. Dwight had a good game but they won a few of the matchups. Our young 4's have a match up against them. Didn't do a good job of attacking DJ. Got sloppy made a lot of bad decisions. It was a game we have away more than anything watched tape this morning.

790: Doc Rivers pedigree. Defensive end how different are they? DJ leading league in rebounding, good shot blocking and FG%

KM: He came out early wasn't ready for NBA. Blake was a hard worker. Doc coming in and telling him I play you in 4th quarter and end of games. Where we did a poor job is our guards driving and finding the open man. Defenses sag into paint but then try to flush 3 pointers out

790: On PG's where can there be incremental improvement in Bev and Lin against elite west PG? How much better can they get?
    KM: Pb did good job on CP so did JL. We had him in control for te most part. For our guys making more plays earlier for others. Driving knowing who is going to get open. Driving knowing where to pass. Times when JL gets of his feet with nowhere to go. It comes and goes. He has improved on it. Bit they're both young guys and will get better

790: Guiding principle on weak side D? JH gets caught and sucked and flies out day late or collar short
    KM: He is in there trying to protect paint. Times they make good plays. Times when you get caught just lik everybody. Their bigs are good rollers and CP does a good job of taking time and sucking in players. Those plays happen in NBA

790: Ham got extensive run against sac in blowout and I think Cisco and Casspi just lost their rotations spots. Two games two productive performances don't want to go nuts over two games.
    KM: JH came in and I like what he did in practice. Big body played well. Rotations are relative and everybody got to be ready. Tomorrow practice will e good for him. He is good defensively rebounds well good hand

790: Sounds like DG going to Clippers. Did you have interest in him.? Caron butler? Fredette also available.
    KM: Greg Smith has surgery on his knee. I would like to get another big. If we get an injury to Omer or Dwigjt we down to 3 big guys. Need a big bulky 5. If
    Greg has the procedure they're talking about his done for the season

790: Detroit Saturday. All in all a bad team. 10 road wins and will test your size
    KM: They rebound really well. We've struggled there. Got to make them beat you with their first shot. Got to rebound well. They don't have lot f spread shooters. Got to keep them off boards and get our running game going

790: After Det, Heat Pacers at Chcicago . Best record since turn on the year. Focus on big picture?
    KM: Major focus just Detroit and improving. 2 or 3 areas we have to work on. Huge emphasis on rebounding. Taking care off the ball better. Playing downhill into the bigs.
    I talk big picture occasionally.

790: Why shot clock was set to 8 and not 4?
    KM:Shouldn't have been 4 even but they mumbled something of not having enough evidence. They did miss but that was Bizarre

4 people like this.
  15. YallMean

YallMean Member

^^^Thanks!

16. Carl Herrera

Thanks for the recap.

Sorry to hear about Greg Smith. Sounds like they may release him to clear space for a guy who can step in.

17. Exel

Exel Member

If they can get a disabled player exception for Smith, I don't think the Rockets need to cut a player.

18. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

<iframe width="670" height="377" scrolling="no" src="http://www.sports790.com/player/embed.html?autoStart=false&useFullScreen=true&mid=24406217&startButtonColor=0xA33335&share=http%3A//www.sports790.com/media/podcast-charlie-pallilos-podcasts-pallilo/thursday-february-27th-2013-2-24406217/&podcastFeed=pallilo.xml&programName=podcast" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" ></iframe>
    McHale segment starts around the 21 minute mark.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Smith will be free agent next season and Rockets aren't likely to re-sign him. Cutting him or getting exception basically have same result.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Probably going to cut him and sign Marcus Camby. I wish they would have signed Big Baby. Having a big body who could play the 4 or 5 would be helpful against these teams with big guys at both spots.