1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin McHale: I'd like to get a rotation of 9, maybe 10 guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 14, 2013.

1. dje243

dje243 Member

I think it'll go down like this:

Lin/Bev
    Harden/Garcia
    Parsons/Casspi
    D-Mo/Jones
    Dwight/Asik

Dwight will slide down to the 4 with Asik at the 5 depending on matchups. Brooks is insurance. GSmith is insurance at the 5 and may occasionally run with a smaller lineup at the 5. Brewer is insurance/utility player at the 2. D-Mo seems to me at least to be the better complementary player. He's a better passer, screener, and seems to understand spacing much better than Jones. He should start and Jones should come off the bench.
    There has also been a lot of talk about playing a lineup with Lin and Bev together, which has looked pretty good thus far. D-Mo has actually looked okay playing at the 5 in some different lineups so you could see that against teams who don't have giant centers (not to start obviously).

2. dje243

dje243 Member

Yeah not sure what games he was watching. D-Mo was consistently looking for his man and boxing out. He actually didn't look too bad one on one either. He still has to work on not fouling though.

3. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

This SPOT ON till further notice. lol. ( the unknown.)

4. dje243

dje243 Member

Nice find. I think once people decide what they think about a polarizing player (see: Jeremy Lin) it's hard to convince them otherwise. I'll admit that I think DMo is the better player over TJones... but I don't hate TJones and I think he has a place on this team and in the rotation. But I think most teams in the league would ask for DMo in a trade over TJones.

5. Naismith

Naismith Member

I'm glade he is our coach;)

6. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

I'm thinking we might keep Brewer, because we need more veterans on the roster. He looked really good in preseason, playing D, running the floor, and good court vision. Almost like a poor man's Igoudala.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Why not?

8. BlueJazz

BlueJazz Member

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Lin (26) / Bev (22)
    Harden (36) / Lin (6) / Garcia (6)
    Parsons (32) / Garcia (10) / Casspi (6)
    DMO (20) / Howard (10) / Casspi (18)
    Howard (22) / Asik (26)

Lin (32)
    Bev (22)
    Harden (36)
    Cisco (16)
    Parsons (32)
    Cassipi (24)
    DMO (20)
    Howard (32)
    Asik (26)

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Most likely, they will either both be in the rotation or one be in rotation and one kept on roster in case a big man gets hurt.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I can't wait to see how good of a coach McHale is when it comes to this team playing deeper in the playoffs.

12. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

We'll keep him, but he'll probably be the 11th man on the bench. Only gets minutes in special circumstances.

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lol so many people on this board is in love with DMo I hope he lives up to his talk.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

As many people seem to think, I think only one of Jones and Motie get into the rotation and the other will sit. But, being only sophomores and knowing how the Rockets behave, they probably would like the guy who sits to actually get some burn with the Vipers. You could keep in town, but either he'd be on IR, or someone like Smith or Camby would be. For using a guy in games, there's not much difference between IR and NBDL, so may as well use NBDL. And, even if he was active, there's plenty of guys who can cover the PF spot in the case of an in-game injury -- centers to play twin towers, other power forwards, and small forwards for smallball. I'd rather keep the special-teams-type guys on the bench (Brooks and Camby especially) to throw out a different look than a more mainstream role player like Jones and D-Mo. For longer replacement issues, you can always call him back from the Vipers.

The only reason I see to not send him down is that he wouldn't get the practice with, bond with, and learn with the active players. But we saw often enough last season they'd go long stretches with no time to practice and guys would be sent down to the Vipers only to be called back up when they foresaw some time to practice together again.

15. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

for 10, it is pretty obvious
    C - Howard, Asik
    PF - Jones, Motiejunas
    SF - Parsons, Casspi
    SG - Harden, Garcia
    PG - Lin, Beverley

i see 9 men rotation being more reasonable
    right now Motiejunas is beating Jones
    he show some flash on defense
    right now i'm starting Motiejunas

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Both guys have paid their dues in the dleague. They aren't learning anything there, except just getting some PT.

I've said it elsewhere. It's not good to keep two promising developing guys on the bench while we are in win-now mode. One of them would not get enough minutes and would suffer stunted growth and have diminished value. I think there's a good chance one will be dealt.

This is assuming that we will keep Asik, and the twin towers set works. If Asik is traded, they might want to keep Smith as the back up center rather than either DMo or Jones.

So the 9-man rotation would be:

Howard
    Asik/Smith
    Motiejunas/Jones
    Parsons
    Casspi
    Harden
    Garcia
    Lin
    Beverley

If they do keep Asik and DMo over Smith and Jones the depth chart would be:

Front court rotation: Howard, Asik, DMo (with Parsons or Casspi for small ball sets)
    Wing rotation: Parsons, Harden, Casspi Garcia (with Lin playing SG for small ball)
    PG rotation: Lin, Beverley

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What talk? I think most people in this thread are basing their expectations on preseason performance.

DMo has been doing very well in the three games. Will he keep up in real games? We'll see. But it's not about "his talk."

18. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Yea I bet jones is out of the rotation and brewer is the sometimes tenth guy in the rotation.

19. visible

visible Member

This reminder me that havard guy and 9 players joke.

20. grauser01

grauser01 Member

We begin (first 7 minutes) & end (last 7 mintues) with :

Lin, Harden, Parsons, D-Mo, Howard

Between this, we always have:

Lin + Beverly + Howard
    &
    Harden + Beverly + Asik + Parsons

Either
    Lin+Howard (when Harden has a break) or
    Harden+Parsons (when Howard has a break)
    all the time.

To be honest: I can't imagine to lose with so much power all the time. :cool:

And with either Asik or Howard or even both on the court all the time we will be a great defensive team, too :grin: