1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. opticon

opticon Member

I would Take Ariza over Kevin Martin right now. I think coach would reign him in offensively and not give the green light to take low percentage shots like Adelman did.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Every shot taken by Trevor Ariza is pretty much a lower percentage shot. His scoring attempts went significantly down in New Orleans vs. in Houston, but his efficiency did not improve.

That said, Ariza is a better defensive player. However, which player you'd take overall is not what the post I was responding to was talking about. I was merely correcting a bad comparison made between the two players offensive efficiency.

#62 Carl Herrera, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  3. opticon

opticon Member

lol that is true. He is a decent spot up shooter from three and he can finish on the break well

I like they way he brings it on D. It would have been nice to through him against Gordan last night.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I'd rather just stick with Parsons. Gordon had a hot shooting night, but I do not think Ariza is a better defender than Parsons is.

5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Uh, what? Ariza was a horrifically overrated defender - god knows how he overplayed so much. And he was a .333 3point shooter.

Seriously, Ariza is my least favorite Rocket in the last 5 years. I can't believe people are saying that him and Martin are comparable. The hate is ridiculous.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I just had an idea, and this thread helped cement it.

Let's trade very decent players away for picks and trash every time a random poster forgets about them because they are injured.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Ariza is one of the worst everyday basketball players in the NBA.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Boy are we in lock step agreement there.

DD

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Maybe not for trash, maybe for picks, maybe for an upgrade at some spot of need.

I would say to trade him if it nets us value, if simply because Morey isn't going to keep Kevin Martin after next season, anyway.

Also, it's tough to say: where did Kevin's pouting end and the injury begin? Injuries suck, I feel for him. Pouting sucks too. In any case, he doesn't seem a McHale favorite.

10. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

Another asset got depreciated.

11. DaDakota

I hear DM using the word "IF" he gets back, makes me begin to think they have told him to stay out, and they will deal him in the offseason.

DD

12. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

According to 82games, the team scores more points per 100 possessions when Martin's off the floor, and allows less points per 100 possessions when he's off the court. In short, they have been better both offensively and defensively when he's not playing, and have a better win percentage.

There's no reason to bring him back. This season hasnt been great for him, and keeping him out will likely help keep whatever trade value remains for him in the offseason.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There is nothing in the slightest to suggest that whatsoever.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

All this says is that an injured, pouty Kevin Martin under McHale's system performed worse than Courtney Lee. I don't think anyone who watched the Rockets this year need 82games to know that. The same 82games had KMart at a net +2.0/100possessions when backed up by the same Courtney Lee last year.

Unless you think Kevin Martin can no longer shoot the basketball, getting rid of a player while his value is an all-time low is pretty stupid.

15. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

Yeah no doubt!

16. DaDakota

Has anyone actually talked with Kevin Martin?

DD

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He just talks to someone within the org.
    I find it funny that people play the sympathy card regardless how that player performed one season and how injury prone that specific player is.

Kevin Martin was drafted around Aaron Brooks spot at the late 20s, more than lived up to his upside, but his upside limited......
    He has done his services.... Sacramento could have given him near max money around 15 million.... and that would be justified.... but thank God, they did not.

I just think he is a better fit on a contender with legit perennial allstars, where I can watch if he is really close to the level of a Ray Allen or Reggie Miller.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

At his age he should seek more job security... that is fair and square....because a freak accident like injury could derail his late career.... he is going to be 29... see Tmac and Yao.
    He won't get it here. Just thinking about him and what is best for the Rockets and himself.

19. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

Fortunately, Martin's status is day to day, as he could very well be the X Factor for the Rockets in the Playoffs...

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2394/kevin-martin

Apparently his performance so far this season was hampered because of a shoulder injury. Opportunely, Lee, Bud, along with the rest of the Rockets have Stepped Up Big Time.

If: there is any lingering and understandable disappointment and or frustration within Kmart, Dragon, and or the Ice Cream Man for almost being traded to the Lakers

Then: they would be WISE to funnel or associate any of those feelings/thoughts of disappointment and or frustration etc. with the Rox not making the playoffs two years in a row ! ! (From the western conference semi finals in 08'-09')

#79 djperm, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Our foreign guest players from South America and South Central Europe are taking being almost traded with relative dignity.