1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And seriously, don't fall in deep love with certain players... please.... that is not helping your case and the team.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I talk with someone in the organization and I know what thier thinking is with Martin. The crap you keep trying to post as fact is so far from reality its comical.

Welcome to my ignore list.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well if you are easily distracted by those little posts... then good luck
    Nobody is untouchable.... and if you are talking to someone that is good for you, you have your information source. But let me say something.
    Only Morey is making decisions...

4. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

He's better than Budinger.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would have to agree with that statement. The same goes with Martin, Bud, Scola. This is the problem the Rockets have. If these guys arent scoring.... they are COMPLETELY useless. Then you have the opposite side of the spectrum with guys like Dalembert, and Camby... If they need scoring, they are COMPLETELy useless.

6. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

I agree, 23.5 on 14 shots last season...the guy can fill it up as good as anyone when his game is on..guy almost lead the league in 3's and free throws made last season (something never done)...people are ready to give up on a proven talent too soon, give him a chance

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ok..... got your message....

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

At will? He's not even averaging 20 points this year.. he gets 20 because the refs babied him big time..

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I agree. The only reason they should give up that kind of talent going into the offseason is to either upgrade the team, or for financial reasons to upgrade the team in the future. Whether that means to resign Dragic to a big deal or not I dont know. Thats the front office's call on which player they value more.

Either way, people saying they should get rid of Martin just to get rid of him, dont know what they are talking about. You better have a good reason for moving him for nothing, OR (even worse), taking back bad salary to get him off the team which is probably the most likely scenario if you want to move him.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

No it doesn't take Martin 25 minutes to find his shot, it's more like his first 25 minutes is where he makes his shots and stops taking them in the fourth quarter.

And no he hasn't looked like shet all year either, he has been extremely up and down and inconsistent. He has had streaks crazy scoring games, and streaks of laying egg games.

I wonder people on this board even watch the Rockets play

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I think we could have used Kevin Martin in the second half after Kyle and Goran got us in the bonus. We needed more offense.

12. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

People can complain all they want about him but it would have been nice to have him as an option tonight.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This season yes... next season I am not so sure......
    Just try to get younger, more active on D and other parts at the SG spot.

14. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Trade Martin to the Wizards for Blatche and their unprotected 2013 first round draft pick.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

where do I sign

16. valorita

valorita Member

when our offense gets into a lull like it did in this game where we went minutes without getting a field goal, martin is sometimes the only one who can get us a basket.

i think he would be great instant offense off the bench if he can accept that role.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't talk with anyone in the organization, but what you said make sense. Unless Martin's shoulder is terminally screwed up, which reports say it is not, it makes every sense for them to keep him in their future plans, at least until certain things play out in the offseason.

Everyone is high on Lee and Dragic now, but these guys are FAs and there is no guarantee someone won't make a too-rich offer to pry at least one of them away. If so, it would be handy to have Martin around.

Also, the contract/cap/free agency situation is such that there aren't many likely scenarios where an immediate relief of Martin's salary would create any meaningful benefit to the team. In 2012, there is only 1 outside FA, Deron Williams, worth creating cap room for. He is a very low probability target. Failing getting Deron, they should likely just work on their own FAs for the most part and deal with the one year left on Martins contract by the ear. Dependinf on how much they pay Dragic, Lee, Cambyd or any other FA, there may very well not be any benefit to taking $12 mil off the payroll instead of having a $12 mil expiring contract.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

What's with people's fascination with trading players at their lowest value? The Rockets seem to always do the opposite. They traded Landry right when his career peaked. They traded Ariza after him starting and put up good stats, before he became a bad contract. They tried to trade Scola and Martin right after their career years. OTOH, the players the Rockets did not trade at peak value were because of injuries(Brooks, T-Mac) or they simply wished to keep(Battier).

If KMart comes back in the playoffs and perform well, I can see the Rockets trading him in the offseason for a Lowry/Dragic/Lee backcourt rotation. If KMart can't come back 100% this year, I can see the Rockets play him up and then trade him at the next trade deadline. But the last thing Morey will ever do is trade a player coming off an injury preceeded by a bad year. Not unless the other team is willing to "overpay" on KMart banking on his return to form. Possible if the other team is Minnesota, but hardly likely.

By the time your regular fans feel like a player is not worth retaining, that's when other GMs will low-ball you on the price tag of a trade. You know, like when Phoenix traded their underperforming back-up PG to the Rockets when even their fans think he sucked.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

FWIW .... Ariza put up decent numbers on horrible shooting....

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

FWIW:

Trevor Ariza's TS% in the last 3 years = 48.8, 48.7, 49.6.
    Trevor Ariza's Offense Rating = 99, 97, 100 (points produced per 100 possession)

Kevin Martin's TS% this year, after a big decline from last season = 55.4.
    Kevin Martin's Offense Rating this year =111.

When you account for 3s, FTs and Turnover rate, Kevin Martin is still much more efficient than Trevor Ariza, even though Ariza's FG% (which is a silly and not very useful number that combines 2pt and 3pt % and doesn't account for FTs) of 41.7% this year is actually slightly higher than Kevin Martin's FG% of 41.3%.