1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Martin Watch

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, Nov 4, 2012.

1. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

My money says if Harden was with the Thunder against Roseless Chicago yesterday, they would've blown that game wide open, and easily. Don't get me wrong, Martin can fill it up but its just something about his game that allows the other team to stay close or make a come back when he's on the hardwood. I noticed Chicago was exposing him last night by giving the rock to anyone and everyone who is guarded by him. Still, it's something about his game that I don't like for a contending team. It could be the flow of the game when he's in, spacing, offensive/defensive schemes changes, or it could be that Kevin Martin doesn't have a winner mentality and something just stinks about him. Just strictly IMHO, no jabs to anyone who thinks otherwise. I felt the same way when he was with the Rockets.

2. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

+/-
    +6 vs. Spurs
    +11 vs. Trailblazers
    -3 vs. Hawks
    +12 vs. Raptors
    +10 vs. Bulls

Clearly a detriment to the Thunder.

3. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

dude is 4-4 with 10 points currently. he's having a heck of a start to the season...

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Great role player. Shoots great when open. Not great at being then number 1 option. Will shop again. Great transaction.

5. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

No doubt.

6. Defy9

Defy9 Member

Trade def worked well for both teams. At the moment I still definitely think we got the upper hand however still have to wait and see how Jeremy Lamb turns out and how well they use our pick.

7. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

They did a live look-in on the OKC-Cleveland game, and I swear I saw Brooks borrowing from Adelman's old playbook when it came to Martin.

Martin kept coming off screens to take those long twos at the top of the key. We all know the ones.

8. split41

split41 Member

I think Martin is coming alive with OKC, best of luck to him. I think he's having a killer season.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've said all along that Martin was grossly underrated by this board. Some of you guys thought he was a throw-in in the Harden trade. I'd say he's an important part of OKC's price for Harden.

10. conquistador#11

You mean the way mctalky was using him, just standing around beyond the three was not an efficient way to use kmart? :p

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

When you factor in his expiring contract and that he can pick-up most of the scoring lost by Harden, then yes he was an important piece for them.

Having to rely on Thabo and Lamb would've put a serious dent in their hopes to get back to the Finals. Martin can't carry the offense like Harden did when KD and RW were on the bench, but I'd say there's not a better fit for him in the league right now than playing off of those two.

My guess is they'll push hard to re-sign him as long as nobody gives him more than $8-10 million.

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

He is what he is: a scoring role player. He just wasn't a good fit for this team.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Kevin Martin's Watch?

[​IMG]

Maybe a Corum watch?

14. lalala902102001

I hope Kevin the best as I do for most former Rockets. This is his FA year and he needs to play well to earn his next contract.

15. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

who said he was a throw in?

clearly Kevin was the centerpiece but no way the trade happens without Lamb and the draft picks to make it worthwhile for OKC.. Martin is a rental deal UNLESS Martin wants to take a discount and stay but they needed long term security with Lamb/picks..

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't have time to search for the quotes. But I swear there were posts that said what OKC really wanted was Lamb and the Toronto pick. Martin was there to balance the contract amounts and the Rockets had wanted to dump Martin anyway.

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

He's a good player, he'll score big time especially when the team is focused on other guys. Still feel we won the trade, but OKC did good too considering the circumstances of having a cheap owner. Best of luck to him, it'll be interesting to see if OKC re-signs him.

18. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

http://newsok.com/k-mart-is-no-blue-light-special-thunder-gets-nothing-but-quality-play-out-of-newcomer/article/3727884/?page=1#axzz2C2gGyaKe

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

KMart was one of my favorite players. He was never fully appreciated on Clutch Fans, but before Harden he was clearly the best player on the Rockets. As a pure shooter he can light it up and one of the few players in the league who can put up 40+ any given night. Many of the ex Rockets are doing well with their new teams.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Kevin Martin was brought to Houston to be a second fiddle. The guy is probably the best offensive role player in the NBA. In OKC, he is getting to do what his game is tailored for and he is flourishing.