1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Martin named Western player of Week

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MambaJoe, Feb 28, 2011.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Fool's gold doing his thing:p

2. BeARocketsFan

BeARocketsFan Member

I'm happy you are seeing Kevin at his best. As for "improving", maybe. But he's playing at the level he played at before he was injured in Sac. Finally, he's healthy. This is the real Kevin Martin.

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

When you think of star, you think of players you can build around.

Kevin Martin is a very very good player, but he is not someone you can build around.

You can build around Gasol, you can build around Westbrook, but Kevin Martin is not a guy you can build around and be successful. He is however, a vital piece and weapon for any star player.

I might even go on to say Martin is a better second option than some all-star second options, simply because he does not need the ball in his hands.

4. crocktees

crocktees Member

He's a star, just not a superstar. He just can't create his own shots like the best.
    But I didn't see Rip Hamilton create his own looks when Detroit won the Finals
    either. Not going to build my team around him, be nice if he finished games,
    but dude can put up 30 a game. Props where they are due.

5. NMS is the Best

Lets trade him for Carl Landry...;)

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Don't forget Ronny. Martin is so not conducive to winning! :rolleyes:

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I've never seen a guy catch so much flak for being by far the best player on NBA team in my life. The guy doesn't hog the ball, is coachable, and very consistent. And other situational guys are candidates to get their jersey retired. ONLY ON CLUTCHFANS! GEEZ!

8. BeARocketsFan

BeARocketsFan Member

Oh Puh-lease.

Of course he's someone you can build a team around. He's a top 10 scorer in the league, actually #1 scorer in 48 minutes. He plays adequate defense, and notice his rebounds, assists, and steals are up as well.

In fact, I'd guess Morey is doing just that.

9. BeARocketsFan

BeARocketsFan Member

LOL!

Those 23.3 points per game... we don't need them. We win everygame by more than 23.3 points. Yup, yup, yup...

10. BeARocketsFan

BeARocketsFan Member

Every star has their haters. They never really make any sense. Sometimes it's jealousy because so many other people like the guy. Sometimes it's people left over from an old trade, like a T-Mac fan who can't let it go. Sometimes it's just people who like to stir the pot to be annoying.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Congratulations KMart, you earned it.

DD

12. acjeitherocket

K-MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $$$$

13. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I'm wondering...

If, hypothetically, we traded Kevin Martin for Kobe Bryant, would the Lakers be a better team? It's hard to say, in my opinion.

On one hand, you'd still get Kobe-like scoring from at the two (more efficiently), which would allow Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, and Andrew Bynum to have a bigger role in the offense (with higher-percentage shots).

But on the other hand, the Lakers frontcourt would give up more points, and they would lose Kobe's court-vision, toughness and will. They would lose their leader. Another player would have to be the alpha-dog and keep the team in line.

The Lakers probably wouldn't be a better team, in comparison. However, when the Lakers have had problems this year, it seems as though its been because Bryant is taking too many shots outside of the offense.

Maybe if the Lakers win it this year and (and its a big and) both Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant retire, Rick Adelman and Kevin Martin could step in and keep the Lakers dynasty going. Of course, I don't want that to happen. I hate the Lakers. But, could anybody deny that the Lakers wouldn't be serious contenders for another championship with, all else equal, Rick Adelman and Kevin Martin instead of Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant?

(Flamesuit: On)

14. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Fixed

15. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

rockets can be a play-off team again if they surround martin with better talent.

16. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Morey didn't get Martin to build around him, he got Martin because he was building around Yao.

17. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

We could be building around him now I guess, but we were forced into it due to injury, no one builds around Martin voluntarily; not even the Kings.

18. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

I can see that. I agree with the Lakers having a balanced attack.

I think Gasol desperately needs more touches on that team. I think he should be their number one option. With Kevin Martin, Gasol could be the center piece of offensive touches and Martin can quietly get his 20pts like he usually does.

Very interesting thought.

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Ignore Ronny, he's too focused on his theories of racial superiority and social darwinism to actually watch the games.

20. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

The same BBS that was calling for Martin and Scola's heads during our losing streak now thinks Martin can replace Kobe.

Amazing.