1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Martin has been a real treat to watch.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Apr 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

edit
    edit
    edit

2. devilsdandruff

and 16-16 from the FT line against the Kings.

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

He's effectively made each game broadcast at least 10 minutes longer with all the penalty free throw stoppages.

4. vince

vince Member

That will pay huge dividend next season when Yao will be allowed extra time to rest during the game. ;)

5. junshao

junshao Contributing Member

me too, his shooting % is not very high for an "elite" offensive shooting guard though :confused:

6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I agree, the man never been a defensive stopper, and I don't he'll get better at it in the future.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I didn't really like how he decided not to show up against Charlotte and Phoenix. He seems to not want the ball in his hands at times; that's not good. He needs more of a Brooks mentality.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

His D will get better once we have a certain 7 foot 6 inch guy guarding the rim.

DD

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Agreed. Yao's presence will mask a lot of defensive liabilities. His presence alone will deter a lot of penetration in the lane.

Yao will make it easier for a lot of his teammates and I see more steals in Martin's future.

10. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Are you guys even watching the games? Martin's defence is slightly below average at worst. he is quick enough to stay in front of his man. He plays the passing lanes well. He has quick hands. His problem is with help defence/team defence. He is sometimes cought out of position on D, and he has a hard time sliding over to help his teamates.

Being out of position on D can be attributed to poor discipline on defence, and from playing the passing lanes. Playing on the King's team for 4 years after Adleman left, he wasn't asked to help on defence, and he wasn't held accountable on defense.

I see defensive effort from the guy and a willingness to rotate. He was not able to lift weights due to the fractured wrist according to Bill Worrell. In many of his interviews, he has stated that he wants to work on his defence.

All this "his defence sucks" comments need to be backed up with your observations. Care to elaborate?

11. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

He constantly gets caught out of position, I once saw him get burned for a 3 near the corner because he was damn near at the top of the key and it happened 3 times in a game. it was around the time he started getting affected by the shoulder injury.

Martin while an extremely efficient scorer, on the defensive end he makes me worried at times with his slow/lack of rotation and horrendous man to man defense.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The awful broadcast team for the Kings made a comment about Martin looking stronger and one said he'd asked him about it. Kevin reportedly replied that he "had put on a couple of pounds." I'm optimistic that we'll see a bit different looking Kevin Martin by the time training camp comes along.

13. anchel

anchel Member

I'm fine with him. But: he seems soft, very soft. Needs some pounds, strength, and more intensity, needs to play more though games (playoff games).

*What about his 3PT shooting in Houston? 30.9% with a career average of 38%. And don't talk about Yao, he's shooting easy shots every day.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I still can't believe he's a Rocket.

I've loved the guys game for years. I even traded T-mac for him and Noci on 2K9 last year.

We haven't even seen him get Red hot. Next season's gunna be awesome.

15. sefril

sefril Member

this. we need to reduce stress on Yao's foot, even in the game.. :)

16. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Lowry, Ariza and Shane say hello and once Yao returns they will be fine. Our defense has dropped bc of Yao, he was our anchor.

17. FariyadTheKing

Prince of Persia??? :confused:

18. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

LOL@ "beefing up." Dude, I tried for 10 years to beef up. Result: Nada. Take it from a guy with Martin's body type: there's a reason why we're this scrawny. It's in our genes. Good luck with the bulking-up program.

19. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I acknowledged that as one of his weaknessess in my post. He does get cought out of position on D. Wich can be attributed to playing the passing lanes too much and poor discipline on D. Those things can be corrected.

Things like being too slow to stay in front of your man, or not being able to read offences are a lot harder to correct. Fortunately, Martin can do both of those things.