1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Love suffers shoulder injury

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by T.Mcgrady, Apr 26, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Boom this dynamite. Olynik will get suspended by these photos,,,for sure

And this is a good full second of being held, if not longer.. He's got Love's arm for awhile

Are you saying Love had this coming. Clearly Olynik has a hold of his wrist, yanking it, and pushing down at the shoulder. You can see all that in the initial gif as well. Not seeing how people saying this happens all the time. If this happens all the time, is this supposed to be some fluke incident against one of the most prolific rebounders in the game today, who presumably gets his arm yanked like this all the time, while getting it pushed down at the same time, too.

This is a wrestler maneuver to make someone tap out. And Love clearly is tapping out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#101 heypartner, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. HTM

HTM Member

I dislocated my left shoulder March 13th.... it was out for four hours before a doctor reset it... worst pain i've ever been in.... took me about 5 weeks to feel confidant in it again and my doctor suggested light activities to me a few days ago to get back into things and see how it reacts...

Can't imagine trying to play in an NBA game with that level of physicality with a shoulder you're not confident in...

dislocating your shoulder is a big deal... and every time you do it the chances of it coming back out again are even greater..

3. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

He actually did a very good looking running arm lock. Perfect position and everything and tough to see from ref POV.

4. heypartner

Look at my photos. The arm lock included holding his wrist as well. Is that the definition of an "arm lock?" To both have the wrist with one hand and the upper arm locked with you other arm. Not sure...just asking if that has a name in wrestling?

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wow, I didn't see these pictures and missed the wrist holding. That's messed up. I changed my mind about the intentionality of the play. The hold with his left hand is the give away.

6. heypartner

You can see it in the OP video as well. Glad these photos came out to confirm the intentionality of "not a basketball play". He's pulling that arm out and pushing down at the same time.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I posted the link earlier. It was clearly a dirty play. Again, he should be suspended at least 10+ games for this incident.

8. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Kelly did it on purpose. He pulled his shoulder. Dirty af.

9. Normalus

Normalus Member

I agree with Shaq and the crew, this happens every game and even when I play I use this as an advantage to grab rebound against bigger and stronger guys. Just unfortunate for Love, but you must move on.
    [youtube]GM7fLlXw9vQ[/youtube]

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Obviously, an intentional foul. Looks like he was trying to do anything he could to keep Love away from the ball. But, I don't see proof that he was trying to injure Love. You could say it was reckless.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

[​IMG]

12. Vienna Calling

I totally disagree. It was a dirty play. i hope this punk gets a major suspension. Getting tangled/locked up is something completely different than intentionally pulling the opponent down for a couple of seconds. Maybe Olynyk didn't want to injure Love but his behavior was absolutely reckless and dangerous.

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

screw olynick. he grabbed and yanked Loves arm in an awkward as **** angle. In the NRL in Australia its not about intention, it was reckless and dirty play

14. heypartner

JuanValdez,

We could rephrase your statement to actually cite a rule:

"Intent to foul with reckless regard to bodily injury."

That's almost the exact wording of a flagrant two. Intent to injure is not actually part of the defintion of a suspension for flagrant two. Hitting a fastbreaker on the head for a flagrant two also could be said to be "wreckless." Those pictures above are a classic wrestling hold to injure an arm -- getting someone to tap out. You pull the arm at the wrist and apply pressure to the shoulder.

I'm fine you calling it "wreckless," I just don't get people saying that wrist pull and rolling the shoulder at the same time happens every game. Sounds like people who just want to talk about their days playing basketball and how hard it is to play against bigs.

#114 heypartner, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  15. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I was thinking that when it happened that if that were Lebron, Olynyk would be the one running back to the locker room holding his shoulder.

Personally don't think it was intentional, you see that all the time with 2 guys getting tangled up on a play.

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

yes you see it but you see it in a passive sense. There isn't the exaggerated yanking that Olinkik did in order to keep Love from the ball. It was dirty and reckless no question about it.

1 person likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Evan Turner comes to Kelly Olynyk's defense on Love injury. Says he can't box out anyone. <a href="http://t.co/Gse4KjNeey">pic.twitter.com/Gse4KjNeey</a></p>&mdash; Brian Robb (@CelticsHub) <a href="https://twitter.com/CelticsHub/status/592435897943105536">April 26, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It does happen every game. In fact, they noted that Love did it to Olynik first.

Of course, they threw in at the end of that comment, "and then he let go"...

The difference really is that let go. Love did a grab and let go. Olynik did a grab, hold, and pull down.

Now I don't think it was an intentionally dirty play, where Olynik is trying to hurt anyone, and certainly other players do the grab hold as well.

But you have to call a spade a spade. It unequivocally IS a dirty play. BUt dirty plays happen all the time. The Mavs do dirty flop after dirty flop and then complain about how they're getting hit. Someone just got pretty injured here.

NBA big boys have a fine line to walk between being overly physical and hurting people, and getting in foul trouble, playing dirty, grabbing rebounds, imposing their presence, etc.

19. heypartner

^

Pinning an arm with your armpit is what happens "all the time." Pinning an arm with one arm AND holding the wrist with the other hand and yanking down doesn't happen all the time, or we'd see many, many more shoulder injuries.

It's like saying, "Getting hit in the head on a fastbreak happens all the time." Well, OK then? But there is a flagrant two version of that and a simple foul version. It's a matter of degree.

The flagrant two versions of any "common type of foul" does not happen every game.

1 person likes this.
  20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Luis Scola's smiling...

[​IMG]