1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Love signs 4-year, $120M extension with Cleveland

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 24, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can't be traded until January 23rd(?) so no.

And he's hurt/might be shut down.

Personally, I'd pass.

Vivi likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

craguin and Vivi like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Love is putting his foot up.

craguin and Vivi like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Stein:

Kevin Love trade chatter is coming

There are only 15 days between Jan. 24, when Cleveland’s Kevin Love becomes trade-eligible in the wake of his July contract extension, and the Feb. 7 trade deadline.
    It is also not yet clear precisely when Love will make his return — scheduled for this month — from the early November toe surgery that has basically sidelined him all season.

But just watch. There will be plenty of time for the Cavaliers to engage in some meaningful Love trade discussions.

Although the Cavaliers have insisted for months that they want Love to be a cornerstone of a successful post-LeBron James existence — after their well-chronicled struggles to stay competitive following LeBron’s first foray into free agency in 2010 — Love continues to be regarded by some rival front offices as a difference-maker who is available for the proverbial right price.

Just one example:

Denver has maintained a longstanding fondness for Love, which makes you wonder if the Nuggets will be tempted to make a win-now play for the All-Star forward amid their wholly unexpected rise to the top of the West.

Can I guarantee a Love trade before the deadline? No. Can I promise you that we’ll wind up talking about Love as a trade candidate in a few weeks? I think I can.

BigShasta and Vivi like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

What's the trade market for a 30-year-old, five-time All-Star described by one Western Conference executive as a "dinosaur"? Challenging, to put it mildly, according to multiple executives around the league.

"It's a lot to ask someone to take on $144 million for a 30-year-old with an injury history," one of the execs told Bleacher Report. "You're dealing with a very small, narrow marketplace for him."

Love's extension, which kicks in next season, brought his five-year guaranteed salary to $144 million. He'll make $28.9 million next season, then the deal levels off at $31.3 million the next two years and goes back to $28.9 million in the final season, when Love will be 34.

Still, it's a hefty sum to swallow for multiple years.

One of the executives who spoke with B/R said Love's deal and John Wall's four-year, $170 million extension are "the two worst contracts in the league."

"How many teams are really looking for a dinosaur face-up 4-man, or a 5 who can't switch pick-and-roll?" the exec said.

"The problem is: You have a rookie GM (Koby Altman)—who's a really good guy and has done some really good things and is trying to prove himself. And you've got a delusional owner [Dan Gilbert]," a Western Conference executive said. "And they're going to think they're supposed to get something for the guy. You're not getting an asset for him under any circumstances."

So if something happens with Love this season, it's going to have to happen fast. And it's almost certainly going to have to involve a contending team that isn't afraid to take chances. Two teams that make sense on both fronts are Oklahoma City and Houston, one of the execs said.

The Thunder already have committed to being a tax team, and they have a defined window to get the most out of Russell Westbrook and Paul George. Adding to the intrigue, Westbrook and Love were teammates at UCLA. The Thunder also have a defensive-minded center, Steven Adams, which could make it easier to hide Love defensively at power forward. It doesn't hurt that GM Sam Presti essentially has lifetime job security, so even if acquiring Love didn't produce the desired result, he'd have plenty of time to figure out how to offload the contract or rework it some other way to minimize the damage down the road.

"He'll figure it out in three years when Russell and Paul are coming to the end of their run," the Western Conference GM told B/R.

Under GM Daryl Morey, the Rockets have been anything but risk-averse. Although the Carmelo Anthony experiment didn't work and Chris Paul is starting to break down physically, Houston came within one game of knocking off the Warriors in the Western Conference Finals just several months ago. Love is a rich man's Ryan Anderson, who was traded to Phoenix over the summer, and he would seem to be a nice fit for Mike D'Antoni's pace-and-space offense.

"They have their dive guy in [Clint] Capela," the Western Conference executive said. "And they're really missing a lot of perimeter shooting right now."

Also in the West, consider the Nuggets, who, as Stein pointed out, have long coveted Love and may view him as a way to double down on their surprisingly torrid start. Plus, Paul Millsap's $30 million contract can come off the books next summer, creating a slot for Love's salary. The Blazers could use another three-point shooter to create more space for Damian Lillard to operate—and to help emerge from a pack of six teams within three games of each other in the loss column.

In the East, consider Indiana, a playoff team that probably couldn't hope to attract a five-time All-Star via free agency.

"It's going to have to be a playoff team in a non-destination market," one of the execs said. "A team that has a couple of stars that isn't going to get anybody in free agency because they don't have the room or nobody's going to go play there."

Said another Western Conference exec: "It's most definitely going to have to be a good team that feels they're one player away. It's not going to be a team like Atlanta or Phoenix."

Once you've narrowed the field to the few who fit the above criteria, you still have to ask yourself: What could the return be in a trade for Love?

"If Kevin Love were a free agent this summer, how much would he get?" one of the execs said.

In all likelihood, nowhere close to the deal he got from the Cavs.

"We're living in a world where Brook Lopez had to take the bi-annual [exception]," the exec said, referring to the Bucks center and 2013 All-Star who could only score a one-year, $3.4 million deal this past summer despite becoming a legitimate three-point shooting threat over the past three seasons.

The best-case scenario for the Cavs is finding a contending team with a couple of bad contracts that is willing to swap those for four years of Love. What asset could the Cavs realistically hope to get back? Not much.

"The asset would be saving the last two, or maybe three years of the contract," one of the execs said.

But if you're a contending team considering making a deal for Love, you have to consider not only the onerous financial obligations, but also the basketball side. In a league where offense is taking over, where do you hide Love defensively? When he rose to prominence in Minnesota, the stretch 4 was all the rage. Now, it's almost obsolete, as even 5s are expected to shoot threes, or teams will just play smaller to field five shooters.

"He just can't defend," a Western Conference assistant coach said. "Guys like him and Ryan Anderson—even though they're stretch 4s—if they can't get it done defensively, those type of guys can't survive."

If teams are unwilling to take on multiple future years of salary in a trade, four years and $120 million are a huge liability, especially for an aging player who struggles defensively. Opposing players shot 5.3 percent above their season averages with Love defending them in 2017-18 and the Cavs' defensive rating fell by 1.4 points when he was on the floor, according the NBA Advanced Stats.

"When we need a bucket against Cleveland, that's who we attack," the assistant coach said. "Guys like him become hard to hide. There's always been a premium on pick-and-roll defense, but even more so now. Everybody is spreading the floor and driving and kicking and trying to generate something going downhill."

It wasn't so long ago when Love was the prototypical player who every team wanted. Then again, it also wasn't so long ago when the Cavaliers were playing in the Finals. The game evolves quickly. Some players adapt. Some go extinct.

Nook, saleem and Vivi like this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think someone will bite at some point but, yeah, i'm not one who would give up assets to get Love at this point, i've never been a great fan, i reconize he's a very good player, just not a great fit in today's nba...Vucevic is very good too, but pretty sure he'll end up like Kanter, Favors, Monroe, Z.Bo...starters in bad teams or forced to come off the bench.

My guess is he ends up in Indiana btw.

7. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lil' Kev has always been a popular name on here.

[​IMG]

I think @Carl Herrera even once proposed trading Harden for Love. ;)

Jump Ship likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No thanks. The extension was so stupid. At least if it were declining every season they would have had a chance. Who was competing with them to sign Love to that? Ridiculous.

11. izeroi

izeroi Member

Easy pass. Silly contract, injury prone, and can't defend.

12. Nook

Nook Member

What makes it so bad is that it is...... all of this year AND then 4 MORE years...... so basically 5 years and I believe his salary escalates each season.

People are complaining about Paul's deal, but it is a season shorter and Paul is still very very productive when he plays..... so the hope is that Paul is somewhat worth his deal the next two seasons, when it then becomes a massive expiring contract that will give Paul the payday he has earned, but also gives the Rockets options as well.

I personally think the Love deal is worse than the Wall deal.

roslolian, BHannes2BHonest and saleem like this.
  13. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Its amazing how Love failed to reach expectations in Cleveland (produced like an elite role player/borderline all-star, expected to be the second best player on the team), and how this contract cripples the Cavs for years to come, AND his career may be done by age 33, yet the Cavs STILL easily won that trade with Minnesota.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If not for his laughably ridiculous contract, he'd actually fit pretty well on the Rockets so long as he actually would be healthy, and he's never healthy.

I can't see why anyone would want this year plus 4 more years from him at what he's going to be paid.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

People think he used to just pad his stats in Minnesota. But dude could BALL.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah.... no one talks much about Wiggins but I would argue he was a worse draft pick that Anthony Bennett when the Cavs took him #1.

Indeed, Wiggins may be the absolute worse draft pick in NBA history because he teased enough to get a 5/150 extension. Bennett was just a bust, financially he cost his team zero and his team moved on, which is the case for almost ever major bust....... but Wiggins?? He gives you terribly inefficient offensive play, he is defensively unplayable in any defensive system because he is stupid AND he is an albatross, destroying his teams cap space for 5 whole seasons! Then on top of that, the owner has to drop $150,000,000 to watch Wiggins not make you better.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

THICC Kevin Love was the best Kevin Love.

Ziggy likes this.
  18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Anthony Bennett?!?!? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! MY EYES! It burns, it burns.... :confused:
    I still remember that draft. "And with the #1 pick, the Cleveland Cavaliers take.......uh, hold up." (turns to someone off stage behind him) "You gave me the wrong name. Yeah, right. Look, go check. Run!"

My wife liked THICC Kevin Love. "He's so beautiful."

When he lost weight: "He doesn't look as good. He's still beautiful, but not as much."

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yessss. He was just as athletic and explosive, if not more so. He used to block shots at UCLA. Now look at him. Yoga boy.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'm not saying you mean this. But yoga, especially hot yoga is damn hard. You will sweat more than you thought was possible. It's great along with weights, running (outside), and baskeball/soccer from time to time.

THEGLIDEc likes this.