1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Love sets double-double mark

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Mar 9, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kevin Love (16 points, 21 rebounds) records 52nd straight double-double in rout

[rquoter]MINNEAPOLIS -- The hardest part of what turned out to be a historic night for Kevin Love was deciding whether he was going to play at all.

With a bulky brace wrapped around his bruised and swollen left knee, the Minnesota Timberwolves star didn't decide to give it a go until about 20 minutes before tipoff. Once he did, he made extending the longest double-double streak in 37 years look too easy.

Love recorded his 52nd double-double in a row to surpass Moses Malone for the longest such streak since the ABA and NBA merged in 1976 in the Timberwolves' 101-75 over the free-falling Indiana Pacers on Wednesday night.

Love put up 16 points and 21 rebounds in just 27 minutes to help the Timberwolves win for just the 16th time this season. Love didn't waste any time extending the streak, reaching double figures in points and rebounds with just under seven minutes to play in the first half.

Only nine players in NBA history -- both before and after the merger -- have had at least 50 double-doubles in a row. All eight besides Love -- Malone, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Elgin Baylor, Walt Bellamy, Wilt Chamberlain, Elvin Hayes, Jerry Lucas and Bill Russell -- are in the Hall of Fame.

Next up on the list of longest streaks is Hayes with 55 in a row in 1973-74

"Why not go for Elvin then?" he said. "Why stop now?"[/rquoter]

Impressed or meh?

2. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

way more impressive than Tyreke's 20/5/5

3. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Geez, 21 rebounds in 27 minutes? Do his team mates all box out for him or something? :eek:

4. mig0s

mig0s Member

maybe it's a hoax... his teamates giving Love all the rebounds you know.

Lol seriously no hating here, Love has been more than impressive this year!

5. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I know his team sucks, but honestly who thought coming out of UCLA that this guy was gonna be this good?

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Only 175 more to go to beat Wilt's record!

7. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

even if it is true, that would still be impressive if he can do it for a season....

love is a beast, i hope we can snatch him in this offseason....

8. marcolus3

marcolus3 Member

^^
    THIS!

Although I think Michael Wilbon on PTI said his streak was over 400 games... Love is impressive, one of the best streaks ever, but compared to Wilt he's like David Anderson

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Love makes it look way way too easy.

I hope now he is trying to extend the record or even chase after Wilt's. The guy could easily finish the season with the streak alive.

I wonder if this locks him in the hall of fame.

10. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

this guys is a rebounding machine, most amazing guy since mose malone, not even Barkley and Rodman beasted like this

AMAN.....................

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Texas A&M had the most complete, physical frontline in basketball and he dominated them before turning pro. I got the feeling then that he could be special.

12. bloop

bloop Member

compared to wilt, you and I and the rest of the human race are monkeys. he was simply: superhuman

for a white dude to do this (or anything) in the NBA is amazing. dont know how many games you all have seen but he's a GREAT rebounder (the best since rodman) and good passer and passable scorer. his defense is a bit suspect but he's legit

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I read that Wilt's streak was 227. I think that's the number Kevin Love also cited.

Wilt boasted that he never had a game with less than 10 rebounds in his career. Does anyone know if its true?

Edit: Just looked it up. Found on a message board that Wilt had 467 consecutive double-digit rebounding games. The 227 number is for double-doubles.

14. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

LOL. snatch love? why would they give up love for us? for who?

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Man 227 gains is essentially 3 executive seasons. Wilt's numbers where definitely impressive, but washing his highlights I am pontifically reminded of a farther dominating his buoys that oar all 12 years old or younger.

On won hand it macks it more expressive, butt on the otter hang it makes it merely not fare

16. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

NBA's Facebook feed says Wilt's streak is 247, but doing some searching I also see 227. I wonder which number is right.

17. Landry92

Landry92 Member

Just curios other than Bill Russell which big stood out in that era to give Wilt a hard time keeping that streak alive ..

18. Steve_Francis_rules

Of course not. Look at that list of the other players who have done this. They're all known as all-time greats who had complete games and at least competed for championships. Love is having a great season, but he is still a young guy on a garbage team. He's got a long way to go before he's a lock for the hall of fame.

19. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

This guy's amazing. What makes me sad was this guy was definitely obtainable last year when he was struggling with playing time with Al J. We could've had him for sure with the right package.

20. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

the reason why wilt had like idk how many double doubles in a row was because he was like the freakn tallest in the nba and it was easy due to his height. Kevin love does it the hard way i like it ;)