1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Kolb for backup?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bag0b0y, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Because going 11/20 in a game where your RB goes for 150+, 2 TD and your defense forces 3 INTs including an INT return for a TD by your rookie DE trumps leading the league in passing, 2 Pro Bowls, and a Pro Bowl MVP, right?

Yates as a starter last year, 3-4 (2-3 regular season). Kolb as a starter this year, 3-2 (on a team that's gone 2-8 with someone else as the starter. And one of those other 2 wins was him leading a 4th quarter comeback against Seattle in relief of Skelton).

Again, I'm not saying Kolb is better than Yates (Schaub is though), but you guys are going overboard and making some stupid arguments. If you have a problem with Kolb as a starter, I get it. But as a backup, he's a solid #2 on most teams. I don't think he fits here either but that's no reason to undersell Kolb or oversell Yates.

2. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

What had Whizenhunt surrounded Kolb with? The league's worst OL and they decided to draft a WR in the first round to appease Fitzgerald. Oh wait, they also have a run game anchored by Beanie Wells.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I agree with the tough spots he's been in and you make valid points. However, what I look for from a backup quarterback is more of an aging vet who understands the game and can manage a dynamic (up until late season - us) team without screwing it up. Kolb just isn't that. He hasn't had enough starts to understand defenses and tendencies. Has struggled when he had the opportunity and is continually hurt.

Overall - it's still a moot point, whether is Kolb, Yates or name your run of the mill scrub backup. If you are playing your backup for an extended stretch, you're probably screwed.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm not. I think the Texans should spend a second or third on a QB in the upcoming draft. That way we will have a better back-up and a real successor to Schaub. Yates is not the answer long-term.