1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Johnson - Houston Texans' first round (#16 overall) pick in 2015 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, Apr 30, 2015.

?

Do you like this pick for the Texans?

1. YES

155 vote(s)
    81.6%
  2. NO

35 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I think that if...

Wait, what?

2. Airdough

Airdough Member

In today's NFL you need three good to elite cover guys because base packages are becoming nickel packages. If KJ was lining up to be put on the outside then top end speed could be a factor. If he is lining up inside, then his overall body control, technique, and footwork become more important.

Taking away the short to intermediate routes only leaves a QB with longer developing and lower percentage plays over the top. I am not seeing KJ as Joseph's replacement but just as another piece to building a complete defense. The Texans likely go after a corner with long speed early next year or later in this draft as a developmental project.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

One post. I've referenced his feet and short range quickness quite a bit. That 4.4 time statement was a long story short summary of an article that analyzed the historical performance from 2001 forward of cornerbacks. Becoming an elite cover CB is pretty difficult for a guy with a time over 4.44 and is almost unheard of for a guy at over 4.5. Sherman is the exception, one I mentioned in my initial analysis.

But don't misunderstand me to say "bad pick, bust of a player" just because I don't see "elite cover CB."

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just think the analysis is flawed in that there are very few "elite" corners in the league but 2 of them right now ran >4.5 40 times. 2 might sound like a small number, but when looking at only the elite CB's in the NFL, it makes up a significant sample.

5. justtxyank

Who are the 2 that you say are elite?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Richard Sherman and Joe Haden are widely considered elite QB's, neither ran faster than 4.5

7. justtxyank

Forgot Joe Haden.

I'd like to read the PFF articles on him, but assuming he is "elite" then there are two exceptions (both of whom by the way were noted in the article I linked to). There was a 3rd guy mentioned as the exception, but he excelled as a safety, not a CB.

8. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

And Haden actually has a similar frame to Kevin Johnson. Not saying that he will be Haden, but it is possible.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Let me ask you this...do you think Darrelle Revis still runs the 4.38 that he ran out of college? My guess is that he's no faster than a 4.5 currently.

Aqib Talib - 4.44
    Brent Grimes - 4.55
    Tramaine Brock - 4.54 avg of 3 runs
    Brandon Boykin - 4.44
    Alterraun Verner - 4.52
    Joe Haden - 4.57

These are probably 6 of the top 10 or so CBs in the game.

Joe Haden is a stud and he almost pushed 4.6 seconds.

There are plenty of examples of both fast and slow CBs...but technique, quickness, and feet/hips are the most important components to being successful as a lock down defender.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

2 exceptions in the tiny group of "elite" corners.....that's fairly significant, no?

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's obvious Texans pay absolutely no attention to mock drafts and the released draft boards. It's also obvious the media and other teams have no idea who the Texans are looking at drafting. Even the players that they do draft don't know that the Texans are looking at drafting them lol

12. justtxyank

2 exceptions in the current set is certainly significant. Those two exceptions were 2 of the 3 exceptions since 2001 that were noted though, not just currently in the league.

13. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I saw several mocks with Johnson to the Texans

14. justtxyank

There were at least 2, and John McClain had said on the radio as recently as Wednesday that Johnson or Erving could be the guy. (He ultimately went with Erving.)

He was pretty much a consensus top 18 pick. I don't think he's a reach at all.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

17. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Actually, justxyank did talk about Johnson's quickness and referenced his 20:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9729890&postcount=95

1 person likes this.
  19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I don't like the pick at 16.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Except Lance Z, apparently. He called it the night before.