1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Johnson - Houston Texans' first round (#16 overall) pick in 2015 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, Apr 30, 2015.

?

Do you like this pick for the Texans?

1. YES

155 vote(s)
    81.6%
  2. NO

35 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Tweet I found of Johnson:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Don't act like you never put peanut butter on your dick and let your dog lick it off</p>&mdash; Kevin Johnson (@KevJr9) <a href="https://twitter.com/KevJr9/status/64071342319878144">April 29, 2011</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. conquistador#11

oh no. =(
    keep him away from Dj's dog.

1 person likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Barwin has been in Philly for 2 seasons. Mercilus has been a starter for 2 years. He's been OK, but I don't think he's a great fit for us. And being in the last year of his contract, the general feeling is that the front office will let him walk like they did Brooks Reed. Even if they'd like him back, he's not a guy they're going to extend before next offseason. So it's not necessarily a bad idea to go ahead and plan for his replacement.

5. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

So who do you guys think we take today?

6. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

Twice last week.

7. justtxyank

I think Mercilus was like 60th in the league in hurries or something like that.

8. Cannonball

9. justtxyank

Interesting, thanks.

I don't NOT believe Rick Smith, but a general rule is that you can never know if a GM is telling the truth on draft day. They all say some variation of "top player on our board" "we got a good football player" "we were hoping he'd fall to us" "we've been targeting this kid" etc. No GM ever says "Well we were hoping for someone else, but he was the best of what was left. We're a little disappointed, but we still think we got a competent player that should at least give us some above average play on a rookie contract."

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

We may trade up to take a guy like we almost did yesterday; good to see us being aggressive.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> have two picks today: 51st overall in second round, 82nd in third. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFLDraft?src=hash">#NFLDraft</a> starts at 6 p.m.</p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/status/594134148656201728">May 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. Cannonball

I don't even really care. Only a few people had him going later and there are reports that a few had him higher. It's a wash to me. The general consensus was that he was the #2 CB in the draft and was expected to go roughly where we took him. A couple of guys at CBS had mocked him to us. Bucky Brooks had us taking him as did Peter King in his penultimate mock. I saw him going to KC at #18 in a lot of mocks. So I'm not really concerned that we reached on him.

12. Remix

Remix Member

I like it. Keeps it real.

No shame in his game :cool:

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While most of what I saw had Waynes as the first CB and first defensive back to be drafted.

That said, some teams may rate one player over another due to their own needs and how they measure players, so I have no issue with Smith preferring Johnson. Its clear they wanted a speed CB, and Johnson seems the fastest of the top tier CBs.

14. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I know some of you guys have mentioned that we have enough depth at CB and we don't need another one, but I would disagree.

If you would look at the teams that we always struggle against than you will see that those teams have superstar QB's that go Spread offense on our defense.
    This usually leaves slow safeties on quick receivers. By having 3 good cover corners we are essentially keeping up with all the receivers and allowing our D-line to make plays.

15. justtxyank

Again, wrong.

Trae Waynes and Byron Jones are both much faster.

Where Johnson excels is that he has quick feet and he accelerates quickly. His 20 yard time is much better. For example, Trae Waynes killed him in the 40, but Johnson beat him in the 20.

I'm thinking Johnson has a good shot at being a really good slot corner.

16. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Which is terrible you dont draft slot corners in the first round

17. justtxyank

Well I didn't say that's his ceiling. He could be better than that.

He just looks like a slot to me. Quick reflexes, good feet, turns easy, good short speed but not great downfield speed, not super physical...

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Sex with animals is not cool. Gross, super gross.

19. justtxyank

Hey man, if the dog is licking then consent is implied. Don't judge.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think that downfield speed is a bit overrated.

For example, what's the point in having a guy that has 4.3 speed, but doesnt have the hips and fluidity to turn and run? Someone with 4.7 speed, but with great fluidity will cover someone better than a guy with crazy high end speed, but average footwork/hips.

And really, when we are talking 4.3 speed or 4.5 speed, we're talking the difference of a yard, 40 yards downfield...if it was just about straight line speed. However, in an NFL game, CBs vs. WR are NEVER straight line contests unless the CB is lined up at the LOS side by side with a WR. Every single pass play will involve the CB facing the WR, then turning and running.

If Kevin Johnson has major strengths, it's his footwork, body control, hip movement, etc...all components that will absolutely help him keep up with the fasted receivers.

I wouldnt be worried about 4.5 speed with all the other tools this kid brings to the table.

1 person likes this.