1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by binvegas, Nov 18, 2006.

1. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

CRAZY GAME from Durant!

2. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Whooooo....what a game by Durant, 37 points and 23 rebounds. He completely took over the second half and led the Longhorns to a 76-64 win (UT trailed 38-42 at halftime).

3. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Wow, 37 and 23!

4. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Durant is literally the best prospect I've ever watched (yes, a better prospect than Vince). His attitude is so professional. The guy is gonna be a superstar, no doubt in my mind. I'm hoping Boston can snag him #1 in July and make them a force again. I'd take him over Oden without even thinking twice. He's another T-Mac at the very least.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Can someone youtube it please? I would really appreciate it.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Can someone torrent or Yousendit this game please? Obviously I was watching the Rockets but I'd like to see this sick game by Durant. 37 & 23, including 5/9 from long range prove this guy has no business in college and will be the best impact rookie since LeBron/Melo/Wade. I said a couple of weeks ago he's a better prospect than Oden.

7. haven

haven Member

Kevin Durant is somehow related to Vince Young. I'm conVinced.

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I just admire his skill set. Stealing balls from guards, hitting a three and then posting up later. He may be the most versatile player I've seen. Most dominant? I don't know about that.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Durant was insane tonight.

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Saw more of the Texas game than the Rockets. Durant is getting better day by day. Are there any guys in the NBA as big as him who can move and shoot as well? A combo of T-Mac and KG may not be far off. WOW!

11. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

As Bob Knight says, "The guy is good! Jesus! Its not like they rub stuff on his dick before the game!"

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Durant outscored the Red Raiders in the 2nd half alone!! This kid is unbelievable.

13. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Ok. Maybe I would take Durant instead of Oden in the draft. I hope he stays in college for another year. He's fun to watch. If he does decide to stay another year, UT might be the team to beat next year. DJ Augustin and Damion Jones look great. The Longhorns are just going to keep getting better as the season progresses. I can't believe how well they are playing starting 4 freshmen and 1 sophomore.

Quite a challenge tonight trying to go back and forth between the Rockets game and Longhorns game. Good thing I recorded both.

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Kevin f'n Durant.

He has a bad game at nebraska and puts up 26 and 15. We are blessed to have him at Texas, thanks to the age requirement.

But, I want to give some love to our other stud freshman, DJ Augustin. Dude is a baller. He may be short in size/stature but 3-4 years from now you'll see him in the pros too.

15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

This might be the youngest team in NCAA history.

There are no players other than connor atchley with more than two years in the program(and that's only do to him redshirting).

Damion James finally showed his athleticism tonight on a couple nice plays running the floor, and a good pick and roll dunk.

16. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

GREG WHO?! KEVIN DURANT FOR PLAYER OF THE YEAR.

17. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

I can't wait for the game on Saturday against Kansas, it'll be my third time seeing him in action. I hope he goes off :D !

18. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

I know Greg Oden is more of your traditional post player, but could we be seeing another Sam Bowie/MJ draft? I just think Durant is money in the bank. I'm not even sure Oden comes out after this year.

19. kingkow

kingkow Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=270312641

Longhorns ride Durant's 37 points, 23 boards past Tech

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Kevin Durant had a game like no other in the history of Texas basketball.

The Texas freshman scored 37 points and grabbed 23 rebounds to become the first Longhorn and second player in the history of the Big 12 to have a 30-20 game in Texas' 76-64 win over Texas Tech on Wednesday night.

He even impressed Texas Tech coach Bob Knight.

"He's really good," he said. "The guy is 6-9, he is mobile, he's quick, he's fast. I mean what more does he have to do. There's no secret thing that he drinks before the game."

Durant got 24 of his points in the second half and outscored Texas Tech by two points after halftime.

"Who me? Oh, I didn't even know I did that," Durant said. "I really wasn't worried about my stats or my rebounds or points. I just wanted to win."

The only other player in Big 12 history to accomplish the feat was Oklahoma State's Mario Boggan, who had 37 points and 20 rebounds against Texas on Jan. 16. He needed three OTs to do it.

Texas (No. 23 ESPN/USA Today, No. 22 AP) steadily pulled away from the Red Raiders, in part by pounding the ball inside for 30 points. The Longhorns went up 72-58 with 3:37 remaining and Tech couldn't mount a comeback.

The loss was only Tech's second at home this season and prevented the Red Raiders (15-7, 4-3 Big 12) from getting their third-straight win over a Top 25 team in Lubbock.

Jay Jackson scored 27 points and Jon Plefka added 14 to lead Tech.

Durant, who hit on 15-of-29 from the field, got his fifth 30-point game in last eight and now has 13 double-doubles for the season, tying him for the most ever in the Big 12.

And he did most of it on a turned ankle he suffered while going for a rebound, Texas coach Rick Barnes said.

"I was going to take him out of the game and I think he was ready to come out of the game but he said, 'No, let me try again," Barnes said. "And he did a great job, and we went zone for that reason to try and give him a chance to not move as much."

Texas (16-5, 6-1 Big 12) handed Knight his 11th loss to the Longhorns since he arrived in 2001. He's only beaten Texas twice.

The Longhorns used a 29-6 run midway through the second half to put the game away. Tech helped their cause, hitting on only 8-of-32 field goals after halftime. And Durant warmed up, getting 24 points after the break.

Knight said Texas showed it's mettle in the final nine minutes.

"From that moment on, there was one really good team," he said. "They dominated the game, took it away from us. That's what a really good team does."

Durant's other 37-point games came against Colorado and Oklahoma State, the latter in a triple-overtime loss to the Cowboys. His 23 rebounds is Texas freshman record and one off the overall Texas mark.

"He was just tremendous," Barnes said. "He's a once in a lifetime guy. Teammates did a great job of trying to get him open. He's special, and we're lucky that we have him."

It was much closer in the first half. Tech used a 14-7 run, started and capped by 3-pointers by Jay Jackson, to go up 40-34 with 2:07 remaining in the first half. The Red Raiders capitalized on mistakes by Texas, getting 13 points off the Longhorns six turnovers.

Durant had his 13th double-double of the season by halftime, though Tech led 42-38 at the break.

Durant dunked a rebound off a miss by Justin Mason at the buzzer but officials ruled it came late.

Before the game, Bob Knight took to the microphone and thanked Rick Barnes for his tribute to the Tech coach after he got his 880th win to sit atop the men's Division I all-time win list Jan. 1.

"I think everybody who was here appreciates what you did and what you said, most of all the coaches and myself," Knight told the crowd.

Knight gave Barnes a plaque with two note cards affixed to it. Knight makes two cards out before each game, one each for what he wants his team to do on offense and defense in a game. The note cards were from the New Mexico win that gave Knight the record.

Barnes choked up as he talked about Knight's gift.

"I'm just overwhelmed by it," he said. "When it comes from a man that is the best coach in what we do, it just means the world to me."

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Some of the ESPN talking heads were discussing this a couple of days ago. If you are running the Sixers, and have tanked to get to this point, do you pick Oden over Durant? Both have a ton of potential, both are likely going to be really, really good. But Oden's closest comparison is Patrick Ewing, while Durant's is Kevin Garnett (even though we've never seen anyone quite like Durant). Even though great centers are hard to find, Durant may be so special that you pass up a great center.