1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant tells Pelicans F Anthony Davis he's an 'MVP-caliber player'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Jul 29, 2014.

1. baubo

baubo Member

The only thing that can derail his career is health. Otherwise, the guy has Kevin Garnett written all over him.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Hopefully he will become a more selfish offensive player. Garnett was too unselfish in his prime offensively.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This.

4. Remii

Remii Member

I thought there was always a kinda "soft" label with KG when he was in Minnesota... Because when he was young it seemed he avoided posting up in the paint. Davis doesn't seem to have that problem, plus he has mush better handles than KG had. Davis is a big man that grew up as a guard.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Good points about Davis. I am a bit surprised that he hasn't made any effort to get physically stronger. I think this will hurt his progress, which is a great pity.

6. CertifiedTroll

I feel after viewing this, I am growing and regressing at the same time.

7. VBG

VBG Member

Eh, Garnett used to bring the ball up sometimes. His prime was insane.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yfVQwMl2NDI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  8. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I think Kevin Garnett is a terrible example. At 20 his stats are as good as 21 year old Tim Duncan or 22 year old Akeem Olajuwon. Not saying he will be as good as those two but he is way better then Garnett at 20.

9. Classic

Classic Member

10. Remii

Remii Member

Davis is still the better ball handler and is better at this stage of his career than what KG was. By the end of next season I wouldn't be surprised if he's considered the best big man in the league...

11. Salvy

Salvy Member

PS4 Graphics

12. Dr Dunkenstein

Why all the unabashed love for this guy? Is it the unibrow?

He is young and athletic. I will give you that. I am still waiting for him to play a dominant role on a dangerous team. Heck, TJones dogged him a couple of times last year.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Unabashed? Watch Davis highlights on Youtube. Know that he averaged like, a double double along with 3 blocks a game, last season.

He and Blake Griffin are pretty similar, in that both haven't learned how to truly play basketball yet. Griffin is almost there, though.

Davis is going to be a monster. He's not quite a dominant man-to-man defender, but he's already better than Ibaka at playing weakside / help defense.

14. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Must be made into meme!
    He's a great big man though and I'm happy to see more bigs if they're good.

15. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Good post. Wow that video made me think man that was the TWolves year/chance. Man that team had a very weird ending too it.

I can see some of that type of dominance especially on D in the years to come.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Didn't DD or someone tell Van Wafer the same thing a few years back?

17. spysta

spysta Member

^^This

N.O. has a bunch of overrated hyped wing players with little value, they need to find a dumb team that will take Gordon and Evans and get some sharpshooters and solid role players in there. Asik + Davis + Anderson is quite a dynamic frontcourt combination. Davis is better than blake, love, aldridge and bosh imo.

18. dback816

dback816 Member

I hope you're not talking about Lebron's first stint as a Cav.....there was nothing right about that supporting cast.

19. MadMirror

MadMirror Member

Having Asik next to him should help quite a bit, but he should really focus on improving his defense this year. The blocks are nice, though a fair amount of them come from having to make up for the ton of defensive mistakes he makes otherwise.

It's kind of a headscratcher that both him and TJones are such poor big man defenders. I guess they just had so much athleticism on that Kentucky team that fundamentals and footwork were ignored on defense.

20. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I think he gained 25 lbs this off season