1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant Pondering Teams After Contract

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by cyntil8ing, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If there's one thing we know about Morey, it's that he's not afraid of rejection. You have to give it a shot.

2. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Nice idea but we need to solidify the team next summer or this season with a trade.

Go after rondo dragic milsap thad young or someone like that next summer and well have a ton of depth.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

#83 J.R., Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

KD is someone worth waiting for, I'd rather wait till 2016 and recruit him then blow it all on some dude like Rondo and end up missing out, in 2016 the team would have massive capspace anyway so even if we strike out on KD we can go on plan B and sign quality guys for depth instead.

I know this is just a conspiracy theory of mine but when Harden first got here reporters asked him if he was doing recruiting and he said "Yeah, I've made some calls". But the thing is we never hear of Harden directly reaching out to the Rox FA targets, I don't think I've read of a story of Harden hitting up DH, Melo, Bosh etc. to convince them to go to the team at all. So I think Harden was chatting up KD all this time, obv KD would be stupid to commit considering it's still 2016 but if the Rox get to 2016 with a clear capspace who know, maybe Harden can work his magic and get his good buddy on the Rox. Resign DH, sign KD, retain DMO via RFA and we got ourselves a dynasty.

5. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

Resigning Dwight would be the last thing to consider unless he would be willing to take a vet minimum... I much rather see how Capela has come along(hopefully to NBA level) to get him in their, than maybe consider Dwight, but if I had to pick Dwight would not be here after his current contract and I would sign a better offensive/defensive Big. My main priority would be to resign Harden if his contract isn't alreay extended by the end of this current year. 2- I would do everything in my power to get Durant to Houston and yes even if that meant Dwight getting the boot. 3- I would plug in some core pieces with those two guys being the focus of the team. I would sign Brewer since his energy is flawless!! with two playmakers you wouldn't have to worry to much on a PG or another playmaker. My lineup prediction would be

PG- Canaan
    SG- Harden
    SF- Durant
    PF- DMo
    C- Capela or through the Draft unless Dwight signs for the vet minimum

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Nice and subtle. Dallas tried to recruit Dwight already and moved on to quality guys like Rondo. Nice try though.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Harden did reach out to Rockets FA targets.

8. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Let me start by saying I was NOT crazy about Howard coming to us in the beginning. I knew he was not an offensively skilled low post scorer that we are used to seeing in H-Town, Moses, The Dream, Yao. However I knew he could do a few things at an elite level. Rebound and defense. He can still rebound and play elite defense. He is good with lobs and pick n roll. He can even post up certain types of defenders fairly effectively if healthy.

If he is healthy come contract time he will get his money here. He is going to give Houston a reasonable discount because he does want to win the championship. There is no way he takes the vet min. He is currently the best paint defender in the league. On the broadcast the other night they said opponents are shooting worse against him in the paint than any other player in the league. Howard is not getting the credit from some people like you.

Clint looks great in the D-League. He might be special. But it will take time to know if he can do it against NBA level players for 30+ every night. Lots of guys look great at a lower level but can't make the jump.

I know your main point is to get KD and I agree, get KD IF he is willing to come here. If KD will sign with us, Harden would resign and so would Howard. But don't even say you are offering the best defensive center in the game the vet min. It sounds really stupid at this point.

9. MONON

MONON Member

Less than what he makes now... maybe, but vet min aint gonna happen! Why should DH take vet min, when the cap'll skyrocket.

10. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

If okc doesn't improve the roster around KD or they don't win then I think he is leaving. If they let Reggie walk like they did harden and don't get anybody in return then I think that shows KD that okc is to scared to pay the money to help KD win.

I've been telling people KD is going to houston in 2016 since last year. I hope he does just so I can laugh at them(especially my roommate who is a huge thunder/KD fan)

11. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

How I imagine hardens and KDs conversations go

Harden: "bro just come to houston"

Durant: "I know but I ain't trying to deal with all the media **** and Russell will get butthurt about. Just come back to okc"

Harden: "I ain't trying to deal with the media. You know Russell cost is the finals that year because of all the dumb shots he takes. Just come to houston"

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Durant was asked tonight if he's ever thought about playing for the Wizards: <a href="http://t.co/dKmnUzUYuO">pic.twitter.com/dKmnUzUYuO</a></p>&mdash; Royce Young (@royceyoung) <a href="https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/558054861078798336">January 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Sometimes the fans and media need a reminder that players have real lives and not all of them want to just pack up their entire family and move to a different city/state just because everyone thinks it would be cool if he played there.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]Kevin Durant said to have eye on Knicks

The countdown to Kevin Durant’s free agency has already begun in places like New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, Washington and especially Oklahoma City, where the next 18 months will fly by faster than Russell Westbrook on the break.

Phil Jackson and the Knicks have until July 1, 2016 to get their house in order and here’s something Jackson and the legions of long-suffering Knicks fans — are there any other kind? — can latch onto: The Knicks are in play.

“No question about it,” says a person close to Durant. “Kevin loves Carmelo (Anthony). It could work in New York. But never rule out the Thunder.”

OKC is under the gun to return to the NBA Finals for the first time in three years and give Durant every reason to re-sign with the club long-term. GM Sam Presti is a pro-active executive, which is his greatest strength and weakness. Remember James Harden?

Presti already made one significant trade this month by acquiring Dion Waiters from the Cavs. And according to a source, Presti nearly traded Reggie Jackson to Denver this week, but the deal fell apart.

The Knicks have expressed interest in Jackson, but for what it’s worth, the word coming out of the Thunder locker room is that Durant is not a big fan of the free-agent-to-be guard. And depending on whom you talk to, there are also whispers that Durant is growing increasingly frustrated with Westbrook, one of the league’s most dynamic players and whose style is shoot first, ask questions later.

The question for Presti and coach Scott Brooks will eventually be: continue to build around Durant and Westbrook, or trade Westbrook for a point guard more to Durant’s liking.

The criticism of Westbrook can be a little over the top. When OKC reached the NBA Finals three years ago, Westbrook was the team’s best player. The following season, Westbrook suffered a season-ending knee injury in the first game of the playoffs and the Thunder was history.

Last year, and with Westbrook and Durant both healthy, the Thunder reached the Western Conference finals but played without Serge Ibaka in Games 1 and 2 against San Antonio. Ibaka and the Thunder had dominated the Spurs during the regular season, but OKC never recovered from dropping the first two games with Ibaka sidelined with an ankle injury.

“Not having Serge was huge,” said Brooks, the former Knick who was on the floor during that memorable playoff fight with the Miami Heat in 1997. Now, Brooks is fighting to keep his team together.

Durant, who is expected to play against the Grizzlies, spent part of Wednesday’s pregame chatting with Anthony on the court. He is close to Derek Fisher, his former teammate, and admires Knicks executives Steve Mills and Allan Houston.

Is that enough to get Durant to New York? The Lakers will have cap space, Dallas is a perennial contender and Washington is home.

But at least the Knicks are in the game, which is more than we can say about the current team on most nights.[/rQUOTEr]

[rQUOTEr]Still, the Knicks will have to compete with Oklahoma City, the Lakers and Washington, Durant’s hometown, among others.

“[The Knicks have as much chance] as [him] staying in OKC or going to Washington, the Lakers, the Clippers, Brooklyn, etc.,” one NBA GM told SNY.tv and The Knicks Blog. “What have the Knicks done in the last 10 years to indicate they are a destination for premiere free agents?”

Added an NBA scout, “I do not see [Durant going to the Knicks]. Better chance in L.A.”

http://theknicksblog.com/knicks/report-says-durant-is-eyeing-knicks-others-not-so-confident/[/rQUOTEr]

15. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

The only problem about Durant in NY is that both Melo and Durant are SF. I don't see Durant playing in LA but i do see him playing for Washington.

16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

How can Durant be frustrated with Westbrook and want to play with Anthony? Doesn't make any sense.

Both WB and Anthony are offensive-minded, but WB is a much better overall player.

OKC is the best situation for Durant. You can't find another top 5 player like WB, who is only getting better.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Over the next 18 months, I'm willing to bet we'll get pieces about how almost EVERY major market team in the NBA is getting eyed by Durant. It's pointless to speculate about these things.....especially since he's probably already made up his mind about where he'll play (much like LeBron).

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No performance-related arguments make any sense when big free agents get mentioned as possible targets for the Lakers and Knicks. These two teams have completely flawed rosters and with today's technology you don't need to be in LA or NY to be a big player.

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

he aint a dumbass, come 2 houston