1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keto-Diet advice.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, May 9, 2020.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

2. Exiled

Exiled Member

whenever I drove from Sarnia,Ontario to Detroit ,or from Abbotsford, British Columbia to Seattle, soon you cross the boarders you will notice the desparity in averege sizes , maybe a little attributed to lifestyle, but most lMHO lays in food production ( hormones/genetic engineering modifciation chemical etc) which can be near impossible to avoid

3. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Intermittent Fasting.

The most popular seems to be an 8 hour eating window with a 16 hour fast. If you currently have irregular eating habits (various timeframes and inconsistent caloric intake) making a dietary change can be difficult. I'd recommend trying a 10/14 eating/fasting window to begin with and then work in to something more restrictive. I personally liked a 6/18 IF due to scheduling but it was challenging some days to stay within those hours.

Trying to drop 30 lbs over the summer (now-August?) is pretty aggressive but achievable. The most important thing is to set realistic goals, keep at it daily, and if you go beyond the limits (calories or otherwise) get back to it tomorrow.

BamBam, Hakeemtheking and jiggyfly like this.
  4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The is my second time to use Keto. The first time went great and lost 25 lbs in a few months. This time I using it with Intermittent Fasting of 15/9. I don't eat between 8pm and 11am. It has me in really good shape right now along with doing German Volume Training workouts in my home gym. I have maintained about 195 lbs even with the increased muscle from the workouts after initially dropping about 15 lbs in Feb/ March. I will probably try to get down to 185 by July by decreasing my overall intake a bit. I eat quite often during those 9 hours. I feel like this is the best shape I have been in in about 10 years although I have always maintained a quite active lifestyle.

My staples are
    Bacon
    Sausage
    Ranch Dressing (confirm carb count on label)
    Salads with a bunch of meat
    Eggs
    Chicken Wings
    Sliced Pepperoni for snacks
    Fatty Nuts
    Olives
    Mushrooms
    Fattier cuts of Pork
    FIsh

Hakeemtheking and jiggyfly like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Good ****.

Thanks for the info, I can definitely do IF.

I don't really have a timetable to lose the weight but I can do 10 pounds a month.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've tried every diet in the world and they always work but after a while, I hit a plateau and end up gaining back everything I've lost.

Last August, I got an email from work saying they would pay for weight watchers 100% as part of our benefit package, so since I was about to turn 50 and heading directly into a midlife crisis, I decided to give it a try. Been doing it since Sept 2019 and I've now lost 50 pounds. I'm under 200 for the first time since my senior year of high school 32 years ago.

Can't recommend WW enough, even though I usually don't tell people when they ask how I did it. Seems to be a stigma that only fat housewives who watch Oprah do WW. But it is SO easy. And more importantly, it's sustainable. I can eat whatever/whenever I want....just less and more healthy. I can still drink wine, beer, etc. I can still eat out (back when we used to eat out). Literally nothing is off limits.

It's super expensive if you don't have someone else paying for it though. But there are free apps out there that use the same point system that are probably just as good as the real one.

Hakeemtheking and arkoe like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah this is the reason I have not tried.

I tried another company which was cheaper but the food was straight up nasty and I had to send it back.

Since I am home all the time I can prepare meals ahead of time.

We seem to be in the same boat I have been yo yoing as well.

Can you give me a name for an app?

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, I don't use any of them since I have the real thing, but if you search "food point calculator" several pop up and the reviews are all good. Look for one that mentions WW and you should be good.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I got in a bad car accident and broke my leg which really put me in bad shape weight / exercise wise. I have always been a big eater, but was extremely active to offset it. The car accident made me balloon up quick.

Been doing Keto + IF (1pm-9pm eat window, 5 days on, 2 off) since November, with about 4 week hiatus. Dropped 45 lbs.

I eat a ton of green olives, macadamia nuts, pepperonis, cheese, BBQ, bacon, asparagus. My usual lunch is a salad with bacon, olives, cheese, ranch and chicken. Its pretty dang delicious to be honest. I really love the Atkins edulge line of treats, specifically the caramel square and peanut butter cups. It definitely doesn't feel like I am dieting, and I don't have cravings anymore.

To kick off the diet, I bought like 200 bucks worth of supplements. Chlorella, MCT oil, magnesium, fish oil, curcumin, collagen, k2. My "things never going to waste" personality quirk helps keep me on the diet, since I would feel stupid buying all these pills and then not using them. I try and watch a Keto youtube video every other day ( Thomas DeLeur) which helps keep me focused.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Thanks.

This is very handy, my big issue is snack cravings, I will check out the Atkins stuff.

Pork Rinds was my go to snack food.