1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kerry on The Daily Show

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by outlaw, Aug 24, 2004.

1. outlaw

outlaw Member

starts in 1 minute...

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

This ought to be good. Is he going to play the sax?

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The makeup on the botox looks great!

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

He's doing a great job of evading the flip-flop label.

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

And I like the yellow braclet. Good for the young vote. Makes him look hip.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Johnny boy, don't forget you VOTED FOR THE WAR!!

Amazing how he is now chiding Bush for making the same decision he did.

Oh goody, now here comes the class warfare! The rich are getting tax breaks! The common man is getting screwed!!

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

He has "a better plan". Only he won't detail what it is.

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Going into the first commercial I'm still not swayed to change my vote.

He better say something good soon.

9. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c.../08/24/politics1851EDT0711.DTL&type=printable

MARY DALRYMPLE, Associated Press Writer
    Tuesday, August 24, 2004

(08-24) 16:45 PDT NEW YORK (AP) --

After weeks of charge and countercharge in the presidential campaign, comedian Jon Stewart tried Tuesday to get to the bottom of the debate over Democrat John Kerry's military service in Vietnam.

"I watch a lot of the cable news shows, so I understand that you were never in Vietnam," asked Stewart, host of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show."

"That's what I understand, too, but I'm trying to find out what happened," Kerry joked.

A group of Vietnam veterans has accused Kerry, in public statements and in television commercials, of exaggerating his actions during the war, where he served on a Navy swift boat and earned five medals.

As Kerry launched into one of his lengthy monologues about why President Bush avoids talking about issues like the economy, jobs and the environment, the comedian interrupted.

"I'm sorry," Stewart said. "Were you or were you not in Cambodia?"

Stewart and Kerry then lean in and stare each other down over the comedian's desk before Stewart asks about some of the other things Kerry's opponents are saying about him.

"Are you the number one most liberal senator in the Senate?" he asked, joking about claims that Kerry is "more liberal than Karl Marx, apparently."

"No," Kerry answered.

"Are you or have you ever flip-flopped?" Stewart asked.

"I've flip-flopped, flap-flipped," Kerry said, poking fun at the GOP's label.

Stewart also sought answers to another hard-hitting question: "Is it true that every time I use ketchup, your wife gets a nickel?" The candidate's wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, is heir to the Heinz food fortune.

"Would that it were," Kerry said.

When the conversation turned serious, Stewart asked Kerry how he would counter Bush's ability in debates to turn issues into a choice between his position and the opposition.

Kerry said the debates would be a challenge. "The president has won every debate he's ever had," Kerry said. "He beat Ann Richards. He beat Al Gore. So, he's a good debater."

Many presidential candidates appeared on late-night comedy shows this year. John Edwards, now Kerry's running mate, even announced on "The Daily Show" that he was a candidate for president -- which Kerry said he watched.

"I think that's why he lost," Stewart said.

"No, he won," Kerry insisted, then jokingly offered to hold their inauguration on the show.

Kerry offered an interesting observation on life as a presidential candidate.

"You'd be amazed at the number of people who want to introduce themselves to you in the men's room," he said. "It's the most bizarre part of this entire thing."

10. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

This thread is two people talking to eachother.

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I guess nobody else watched.

In all seriousness, it was the most human Kerry I've seen.

That said, I ain't voting for him.

12. outlaw

outlaw Member

honestly, is there absolutely anything he could say that could make you change your mind? somehow i doubt it.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I didn't get to see it. Do they rerun it late at night? Anyone know? HBO does that sort of thing, or repeats them on different nights. This is a show I keep meaning to watch more of, but haven't gotten into the habit. :(

14. outlaw

outlaw Member

Comedy Central will re run it at midnight and at 6:00pm CST tomorrow night

15. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

10pm -> midnight -> 9am -> 6pm. That's the repeat cycle.

Usually the most popular show from the previous week appears on Monday rerun time slots. You can bet this will the one for next Monday.

Wow, I'm really glad some of you expected to get hard-hitting questions and answers from a fake news show. This isn't Meet the Press, you know. It was funny, Kerry hit his talking points, Stewart got in his jabs at the lack of media quality, and that was that.

I actually thought the interview went briskly (which is good on The Daily Show). Kerry did a good job of being short with his answers.

Now what about that story about the gas station owner who got shut down for selling his gas cheap? There must be more to that story, right?

16. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

That's probably the Armstrong Foundation bracelet. Mock it if you want, but that's not very cool.

I have a friend who was at a restaurant and saw his waitress wearing a yellow bracelet. He made a comment about how "it's cool, supporting Lance, eh?" Her response was, "No - my mother has cancer." Apparently, the yellow bracelet has become a support symbol for those who know people battling cancer.

Kerry may be playing it to be hip, but in this instance I think it's fair to just leave it alone.

Focus on the issues, please.

17. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

But he was wearing a yellow bracelet!

18. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Here's an issue:

He mentioned about the need for gas alternative cars.

How long as this been going on? I can remember hearing about solor cars when I was a little kid (around the same time they tried to teach us the metric system for some damn reason).

So, as president, he's going to have us all driving hybrids? If people wanted them they would buy them. Apparently they don't. (Although my wife drives a Prius that gets 44 mpg.)

What am saying is he seems to have a lot of "plans". Plans he doesn't explain.

That would be like me running for president and saying I'd like to cure baldness or diabetes...it ain't going to happen.

19. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

I thought it was funny, but i wonder if he will be back on the show once he is president.

20. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

It's nice to have a plan, isn't it?