1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kent Bazemore meeting with Rockets as we speak (UPDATE: Signs with Hawks)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jun 30, 2016.

1. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

If Atlanta do the swap, sure it is no brainer. But they are going to want first round pick and maybe more.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

First round picks for this team mean basically nothing for the next 3-4 years. If tacking on a first rounder allows you to get out from under Ryno's contract while also adding a very viable rotation piece, you do it.

Deuce, htown7829, ryano2009 and 2 others like this.
  3. JW86

JW86 Member

The first rounder is not a problem, they want a prospect which we cannot offer.

4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Late first round pick can turn into a good player too. Look at Capela.

5. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Am I the only one worried about our PF spot?
    Hasn't Melo said he doesn't want to play PF? And does that mean we run with Tucker as our starting PF?
    I LOVE Tucker, don't get me wrong.. I just can't see him playing 82 games. And behind him we'll have.. mayyyybe Melo.. has Ennis clocked any time at the 4? And.. Hartenstein?

6. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The point is that we don't have time for them to develop. Everyone on the roster needs to be able to contribute now. If it takes a 1st to swap Ryno for a 3D who makes the team better this year and next, who cares?

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't want to burn a first round pick for another albatross contract. Would rather let Ryan's value appreciate by the end of this season.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Tucker has been the starting 4 for the longest time here once ryno went to the bench. That's the ideal spot for PJ on this team and a huge reason why the defense went up another level after

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't mind it for this deal... but I can at least see the other side, if the other sides position is (i) he fills a need that the Rockets don't really have at a crowded position on this squad, (ii) he's also overpaid, (iii) maybe there is a better option down the road, and (iv) in a worst case scenario maybe Ryan finds his shot again and you still have a late first which INDEED can turn into something special, be it down the road (Capela) or immediately (Onunoby, Kuzma, Hart, Brogdon, etc.). Or in short, hopefully DM is ascribing some value to picks - they shouldn't just be throw-ins.

10. JW86

JW86 Member

Ryan is unplayable, he quit last year.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  11. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Remember we did trade away our first round pick in the past 3 years. You need to be careful what to trade. I believe most is asking more than just Anderson+one future 1st

Edit: Actually last 4 years. Traded 2015 to get rip of Lin's contract. 2016 for Ty Lawson. 2017 for Lou Williams. 2018 for CP3.

#1111 MaxRider, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  12. anchel

anchel Member

Of course Houston would do it for their single 2019 1st round pick, but Atlanta is likely asking for more. Like Melton? Qi? Another 1st round? ...

13. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Rumor last year price was two first round picks.

14. Progs

Progs Member

And Bazemore would help us alot more than Anderson who most likely will ride the pine.

15. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with all of that. I think the reason Anderson hasn't been traded is because Morey is trying every possible way not to trade a pick.

In this scenario, I would do it. But, if he values the pick enough not to pull the trigger, I fully trust his judgment.

I am basically looking at this team as Ryan Anderson not being part of it. And as constructed we are not good enough, imo. This might get me torched, but if Morey were to sit tight adding only Melo before the season, and Anderson gets back to form, I think we actually would be good enough. We keep our pick and Morey looks like a genius... again.

We are definitely a better team swapping a part-time gun-shy Anderson for Bazemore. But I think our ceiling is higher if we could get Anderson to start firing up shots every time he touches the ball.

ksny15 likes this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

problem is just as likely as ryno turning it on and becoming productive (start of last season) is the scenario where he just gets injured again (end of last season)

17. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

He got hurt, was in and out the lineup most of the year, we turned into a complete Iso-team which completely eradicated his role with the squad

18. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Pelicans is also interesting in Bazemore.

19. mathor

mathor Member

A really interesting option could be to try to grab Dedmon too.
    What can Atlanta ask for a Dedmon - Baze combo?

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah... this is the angle I'm coming from to.

Which is I like Bazemore, but he doesn't remotely play a position of need. I mean the Rockets resigned Gerald Green, and while I'd rate Bazemore above Green right now, they're at least somewhat similar.

If DM really thinks Bazemore can fill in at SF more than he ever historically has, then ok. But guard wise the Rockets have CP3, Harden, Gordon to get the bulk of the minutes and if one of those guys gets injured its game over anyway (well, maybe not EG, but he's pretty important once you get to the WCF...) and MCW, Green.

If Anderson is moved, they need more forwards.

They hopefully know how Anderson is feeling and performing the summer at least. But absolutely, as you note, even as a horrible defensive liability, a Ryan Anderson that can come in and give you upper 30% on threes from the PF position off the bench is something that would also be a nice value add.

But maybe he's done...

hakeem94 likes this.