1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Thomas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BobFinn*, Jun 1, 2000.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Journal

Rockets forward Kenny Thomas talks about his rookie season, Charles Barkley, and the WWF in his first journal for AthleteNow

Hey, how's everyone doing? Welcome to my site. I'm at home again in New Mexico now that my first year is over. It could have gone better for us as a team, no question. I think we built some things that will help us down the road though. With our coach, Rudy T., we play loose and free. He's starting to grow into a younger style because of all the injuries we had to some of our older players this year like Charles Barkley and Hakeem Olajuwon.

Coming in this year, there weren't a lot of expectations on me, at least not as many as were on Steve Francis. All the pressure was on Steve, I just played. I started feeling comfortable this season when I started to score. That's the thing about this league when you come in, until you score, you're confidence isn't quite the same. At least for me it wasn't. Once I started getting some shots, my confidence went up. There were a lot of people in New Mexico, where I went to school, who didn't expect much from me this year. All kinds of things get said when a player's going to the NBA. Trouble is, you think about everything everyone says. Even the stuff that doesn't make any sense. It's hard to block it out.

One thing about the Rockets was we were all pretty cool with each other. If we went out, the whole team went out together. The guy on the team I'm closest to is Shandon Anderson. I used to ask Shandon questions throughout the game and he helped me a lot. Anytime I was down, or needed help he'd always try to help me. Cuttino Mobley helped me out a lot even though it was only his second year.

Playing on the same team with Charles Barkley and Hakeem Olajuwon was amazing. Charles is awesome. Having seen him on TV for all those years and then playing behind him was something that was pretty incredible. Charles is real funny. He's got a million little jokes that he thinks are just hilarious. They're funny, but they're not that funny. He talks continuously sometimes. Some days he's quiet, but when he talks, he talks.

I was a military kid growing up. I lived in Germany, El Paso, Georgia and then I wound up in Albuquerque. It was hard leaving my friends when I was young. I wound up not getting too close to anybody because I knew I'd end up leaving.

I have a son of my own now - Matthew Kenneth. He's seven-months old. Already, he's crawling, laughing and beating me up.

I'm a pretty laid-back guy so I don't have a lot planned for the summer aside from working out and spending time with my family. I might take a vacation somewhere. I'll probably do some golfing and play video games, as usual. I love video games. NBA Live is my favorite. When I take the Rockets, Steve usually goes off for about 30 or 40. I usually try to take Vince Carter or Allen Iverson or Shaq and Kobe.

It's kind of funny, Shaq was my NBA hero growing up. I had to guard him once this year at L.A. for about six or seven minutes. I said, "Shaq, don't hurt me." He said, "I won't Kenny." The biggest high was I hit one or two 3's on him and he had to come out on me. Next time I went up on him I shot an airball because I thought he was going to toss it.

One other thing I love to do is watch the WWF every Monday and Thursday. If I miss it, I have a heart attack. My favorite would be Too Cool, the Hardy Boys, and, of course, The Rock. Everybody loves The Rock. I actually met some of those guys in Houston. The first time I went to a show was in Houston with Kelvin Cato and Carlos Rogers and The Big Show and Kane fought in front of us. They came right over the ropes and wound up right there. I'm a big guy, but I'm not that big. They're coming to New Mexico on June 10th at The Pit. I have second-row seats. That's as close as I can get. If I had it any other way, I'd be in the ring.

How's this - I'll tell you what went on next time I check in. Until then, take it easy.

Kenny

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

thanks for that Mr AltheteNow

6 out of 10 for that post
    [​IMG]

------------------
    CUT Tino
    Isn't it amazing how quickly everyone did a Cat Backflip!!!!!

3. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

What's up with all the talk about trading Kenny? He boards, hustles, and has a low post game. I like him a lot and i think he has a lot of potential. He's laid back, plays video games, and watches the WWF. My kinda guy. Give him some time before trying to trade him.

------------------
    Hakeem, Hasaw, Haconquered.

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I sorta wish that he talked more about bulking up and getting ready for next season, but that might be nitpicking. Everyone talks about Cato needing to work his butt off this summer, but I think KT has as much room for improvement as a starter on this team.

------------------

[This message has been edited by oakdogg (edited June 02, 2000).]

5. D.R.E.A.M

D.R.E.A.M Member

Read my lips.....

DON'T.....TRADE.....KENNY.....THOMAS!!!!!!!!

------------------
    Dream's Team!

6. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

All kinds of things get said when a player's going to the NBA. Trouble is, you think about everything everyone says. Even the stuff that doesn't make any sense. It's hard to block it out.

Not that it's a big deal right now, but once Kenny makes it to the playoffs, you hope he's grown out of it. As transparent as guys like Phil Jackson are, you hope Kenny will learn to let those things slide.

------------------

7. TraJ

TraJ Member

Kenny did talk about working out this summer. That's certainly a good thing. I hope the Rockets keep him, unless it's for a player you give up almost anything to get. I think the Rockets would regret it otherwise.

------------------

[This message has been edited by TraJ (edited June 02, 2000).]

8. alaskansnowman

I really like Kenny Thomas also, but if the right deal comes along, then we have to trade him(LIKE THAT PROPOSED CLIPPERS TRADE [​IMG])

But I do really like him and his game. I think that keepKenny was right when he said that Kenny boards, hustles, and has a low post game. I'll also add that he has a decent outside shot, but he's gotta stay away from those 3's(unless he develops that 3 point shot) and stick to the midrange jumpers. He's got the footwork, and the potential to become a really good player in this league. Give him some time, he might break out next year like Cuttino did this season.

BTW, I also wish he had wrote more about his summer training, but just cause he didnt write much doesnt mean that he isnt working. Who knows? Maybe he's working harder than Cato is right now. Maybe he didnt wanna bore anybody with his workout routine?

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

9. BornRocketRed

BornRocketRed Member

KT is a great fit on the team as he can run with the backcourt but provides a good change of pace with his low post scoring. How many young guys in the NBA have his post skills?

He's only going to get better. I would trade him only for a guarantee at getting Kenyon Martin or Stromile Swift, but nothing else.

------------------
    screw Bud Adams