1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Thomas is a liability on the court. And I mean that.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JBIIRockets, Nov 16, 2002.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Man I am sick of this guy's play.

Sure he is effective at times, but he is mostly effective against the Golden states and Memphiss of the world. But if you put him on the road against good solid teams like the Suns, Sonics, Spurs...and etc...he amounts to crap.

He cannot not shoot a lick. For every one 20 footer he makes, he misses 4. he can't make FTs. 2 of the FTs he made tonight bounced on the rim 5 times. He cannot make that slashing spin moving layup shot as often on the road against the bigger guys that guard him.

KT is a role player, who should NEVER be in the starting lineup with all the depth the Rockets have now.

MO T is healthy and looks good. And he is a better shooter than KT. Give Mo KT's minutes. Did you see those Hook shots by Mo T in the 4th qtr tonight. they were awesome. what a go to guy. Then MO balanced that out by hitting the outside jumper. That jumper is something the opposing defender would invite KT to take, because Kenny can't make it. Geez. Man i am pissed.

So KT is a good hustler, and he keeps in shape. So what. It doesn't matter if he is ineffective on the court. It amazes me that he gets sooooo much love on this BBS, when his shortcomings are so obvious

The Rockets did 2 good things over the summer by getting rid of crap like Walt Williams and Kevin Willis. And they will be better because of that. When KT is finally off their hands they will be even better.

I know why KT isn't passing the ball either this year. His is playing for a contract. And him playing this selfishly is hurting the Rockets.

hereis what the Rockets starting lineup should be.

Cato (Yao is getting closer and closer)
    Taylor
    Griffin
    Mobley
    Francis

2. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

Applause.

Can't shoot....can't pass....can't hit free throws.....has 1 post move.....screams every damn time he misses.....stealing time away from eddie and mo......please go kenny....go now.....

I was very happy to hear we didn't pick up his option.

3. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

The one thing that I don't like about Kenny is that he slows down our offense. Whenever he is guarded tightly and has no where to go, he waits a few seconds, and either puts up a bad shot or passes, instead of swinging the rock. He is a good player, but he has a lot to learn.

4. Timing

Timing Member

A couple of things. KT tied for the team lead in assists tonight. He's passing the ball as much as anyone else. KT's assists this year are up over last year so far in less playing time and they'll go up again tonight because of his 5 assists. Coming into tonight's game KT was shooting .471 as opposed to .478 for all of last year. It's only 4 games worth but he's doing about what he did last year despite learning the small forward position which MoT and EG cannot play. You're just frustrated that he had a bad night. Steve had a similarly bad night.

5. Miggidy Markell

KT is handling the ball more then ever this year IMO, why wouldn't his assists go up?

6. declan32001

declan32001 Member

KT had a bad game, so did Steve and Cat. The Rockets have some bad habits that were on display at their worst tonight. I wonder about everything after seeing a really bad game like this one. The only reason we were in the game was because of an abnormally high 3 pt. percentage. Ironic that we had to settle for a 3 pt. shot down by only 1. Unbelievable that some here say you have to be able to drain an open 3 pt. shot when 50% is excellence.
    I do believe Rudy's going to have to get a firmer hold on everybody than he's comfortable with, and KT is one of the players heavily under the microscope this year. But I think Rudy's going to have to enact a tough stance with Kenny; he took way too many shots into the teeth of the defense without a thought of passing it out. But I think Steve and Cat should have been benched tonight at various times. I even thought Hawkins had a sloppy game.
    The wheels just came off tonight. I'm not sure KT's the reason. Tonight we just played like a bad team. I didn't even think we should win this game game coming in, but the Suns looked bad, and we looked worse.

7. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I disagree about Eddie not being able to play the 3 position. He has a 3's body frame even though he is 6'10" 6'11". Plus he can shoot the 3 pointer. Right now Eddie is more of a 3 than a power forward. Of cousre he is only 20 years old so hopefully he will continue to bulk up to a point where he can post up all the time. If he posted up all the time this season, he would not last the season.

As for being frustrated. heck yeah I am. But if you have read my Rockets posts through my time here, you would know I have not been a fan of Kenny Thomas since 2000-2001. Kenny really P.O'd me with his play tonight, and should not be part of the future of the Houston Rockets.

8. johnny33

johnny33 Member

Kenny Thomas
    Mo Taylor
    Eddie Griffin
    Bostjan Nachbar

4 young forwards with a lot of potential

something's got to give.. and all 4 are pretty soft in terms of D and rebounding

trading for a Jerome Williams / Bo Outlaw / Ben Wallace type player would be a start, I think... There's enough scoring in the backcourt, and when Yao is ready to go, he'll get most of the touches inside.. so I don't see why the Rockets need a Kenny Thomas or Mo Taylor inside.. they need a role player to clean up the boards and get garbage points

9. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I think it's unfair to describe KT's defence as soft...

10. johnny33

johnny33 Member

i dunno, he seemed to be a lot more aggressive defensively BEFORE he lost all that weight

and that comment was directed at all 4 as a whole, of course KT would be the best defender of the 4.. griffin is good but only in terms of shot blocking.. he's too skinny to defend the post

#10 johnny33, Nov 16, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2002
  11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Get kt out of there... we really don't need him... i honestly think we're playing him as trade bait. i want griffin and mo on the floor .... let's send kt to one of those memphis's or goldenstates ... we can get a better back up for him and maybe get us a 3 while we're at it. Call me nuts but I really like the sound of having odom as our 3.

12. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I think Kenny has a ton of talent, but just doesn't fit into what the Rockets as a team want to do. He is an aggressive rebounder and defender, but the Rockets are an offensive team. Kenny's offense lacks a good shot, and the ability to finish when he drives to the basket. I'm gonna kill myself if I see Kenny drive in for a layup and shoot it off the glass as hard as he can one more time.
    I was very impressed with Mo. His shot still looks beautiful, and he seems to have a lot more post moves than Kt. Kenny would be much more effective coming off the bench, so that Mo could start the games and provide instant offense. Rice also looked really good. He had some nice three pointers, rebounds, and saves towards the end of the game. Mo and Rice need to start soon for the Rockets to do anything substantial.

Codman

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

To me the problem with KT is the only way he can score is by facing up and initiating offense. He seems completely unable to thrive when others are initiating the offense. Either the ball starts in his hands, or he's pretty much useless. This could work if he would post up other 3s, but he rarely does -- he always just tries to beat guys off the dribble, ends up in traffic, and has trouble finishing. Since his shot is so poor it seems this is all he can do.

It would seem he would be more effective as a small forward by switching his focus to defense and rebounding, while posting up smaller 3-men. He pretty much has to play small forward though, which doesn't help the situation.

14. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Kenny plays the Small Forward position, Mo isn't quick enough to gaurd the other 3's in the league and having Eddie gaurd them takes him out of the post and limits his shot blocking which is his greatest asset. So everybody's idea is to either put somebody too slow out there or take our shot blocker out of the post on defense?

And what is this BS about he doesn't pass because it's his contract year? In the games he started he's avereraging over 5 assists a game. How do you get 5 assists without passing the ball? I really want to know so I can try it sometime.

The Rockets have options at their forward positions and KT is one of those options. Mo can hit the outside shot, but isn't as good on defense and won't rebound, Eddie is a good defender and rebounder but his offense hasn't reached it's full potential yet,and KT hustles, is quick and is a good rebounder and defender. He's always working on his game and his outside shot will improve as he works on it more. I would say he's doing a very good job learning a new position and if he needs to post up more then Rudy should call plays to have him post up. Right now our offense is moving from ISO to motion, as the motion is used more you will see Kenny ISO less and get his points in the flow of the game.

That being said Mo was hot in the fourth quater last night and Kenny was having an off game, Mo probably should have been left in. I can only assume that Rudy had a reason to take him out, maybe he hasn't gotten his wind back yet and was too tired to keep going up and down the court.

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

dr ludicrous. It is rare that I see a post with multiple points where I agree with every point. I certainly do with yours.

16. payaso

payaso Member

his PT time is most certainly a showcasing opportunity... prior to the '99 draft Cotton Fitzsimmons LOVED KT's talent, even though his head was suspect at the time. It's not too hard to believe that the Suns would still be interested in his services, and since Amare Stoudamire has shown such freakish tools in the frontcourt it could be easy to see Bo Outlaw coming here, provided the numbers work. (Rotisserie geeks can drop their input here)

17. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Trust me. It's just a matter of time.

18. IVFL

IVFL Member

People please, think

The Rockets need Kenny to win. plain and simple. He does all the little things that average fans would not notice. Last night he set up steves three point play in the third quarter because he was battling for a rebound. He is a good passer and plays agressive D. We need guys like Kenny to be a good team.

I dont know if he should start, I have not watched enough games, but the guy should get good minutes

19. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

We don't need KT at all, I long for the day when he is gone. I wish we could trade him. Trade him for anyone, I wish we could get Andrei Kirilenko now that is a player. Just think of the Rockets with Kirilenko playing the SF position! I have never been a fan of Kenny, the guy makes stupid mistakes all the time and there is just something about him that makes me not like him. Maybe it is his shots that never fall or his stupid spin move.

20. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Im not, Im not pleased with his play at all, My Dad and I both yell when he has the ball, "Dont You Dare Worry, Kenny WILL take that shot!" and it doesnt matter if he dont have it or not, He ALWAYS takes the shot!

Im not happy with him at all this Year, he will have to do ALOT to reimpress me!