1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Smith Discussing GM Job With Sacramento Kings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mr. 13 in 33, Jun 10, 2013.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ha, Woj. slamming the idea.

I can't even take it seriously. ... This is a publicity stunt. I can't believe they'll take it seriously.

I don't even know if Kenny knows what the salary cap is or where to go in Europe. To think he's going to grind...when you're doing skits on your show and yet you're talking about being a qualified GM, it's a farce.

2. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I guess he's the sacrificial lamb before they give Phil Jackson the job. :rolleyes:

3. Big Red Machine

My thoughts exactly.

The whole thing is a joke. He isn't even a good basketball analyst.

4. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Kenny should be a therapist. An analyst and therapist and the worlds first analrapist

5. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I think this is serious since Steve Kerr did it once and got back his TNT job. So, if Kenny fails, he knows TNT would welcome him back, I think ESPN would have an interest on him if he decides to abandon ship and be heard again. Actually if Barkley was available, ESPN would jump on him.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

LOL this is a slap in the face to Charles.

Tbh I don't know what team would be crazy enough to hire him. He has some good insight but the guy makes too many emotional decisions. Morey is a bit too analytical, but Charles
    is on the other end of the spectrum.

7. Big Red Machine

Tobias Funke was the world's first analrapist.

1 person likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I see no reason to think Smith is remotely qualified. I don't know, he might be great at it; he might have a natural talent out the wazoo for this sort of work. But, there's nothing in his resume that should make anyone think he's likely to be successful as a GM. Maybe as a coach.

9. SSP365

SSP365 Member

he would be better as a coach than a GM.

i seriously dont understand this move.

most GM players are disasters except for a few brilliant minds like bird and west.

Kenny would be better as a head coach.

GMs require a different skill set.

10. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

If he's just to be a spokesperson or 'figure head' it could work out...but I mean given the competitiveness of NBA GMs, their use of advanced metrics, scouting, etc I'm not sure what qualifies Kenny Smith to do that. He might have an 'eye' for players but the Kings would probably be stuck in the old way of doing things, and that would not put them on a level playing field today.

Seems even weird to float that as a possibility. Why would a franchise put an inexperienced guy in probably the most important front office position? I thought new ownership would get the Kings out of mediocrity...as a business person, you always want to hire the best to run your company. Why not start him out as Ass. GM and see how he does before handing him the keys to the Ferrari. On the plus side, it gives Morey another GM to take advantage of...if the rumors turn out to be true.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Kenny's a cool guy. But if you want a "figure head" there who also has a little GM ability, and its between Kenny and LARRY BIRD, I wouldnt consider Kenny a frontrunner. Kenny maaaaaybe could be in the top 10 of prospect figurehead GMs. But that'd still leave him well enough of contention for league gm jobs.

He did say he's looking into coaching and other job prospects. So right now he's possibly interviewing aiming high and campaigning for his own cause just to get in somewhere. But it has to be something enough to move him out the studio

(He probably couldnt be worse than Isiah Thomas at least)