1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Smith Discussing GM Job With Sacramento Kings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mr. 13 in 33, Jun 10, 2013.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I wouldn't want to see him leave TNT. But if he did, I'd try to hire Jerry Stackhouse as his replacement.

2. MONON

MONON Member

I'm all for Kenny Smith as the Kings gm. He deserves it. Then maybe he'd do a Royce White for Demarcus Cousins straight up trade for old times sake. :grin:

Seriously though, I think he'd be better as a coach than a gm. My personal opinion of that group, except for Ernie, is that they are former players that follow scripts written by real basketball analysts. Hopefully I'm wrong.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Cavs? Bucks?? So basically, you're 14 years old, and just started watching the NBA 3 years ago. Some of the NBA's greatest players of all time played with those 2 franchises.

Also, Vivek Ranadive is a brilliant man. He's going to have the Kings franchise heading in the right direction within 3 years. The first step is getting the right people in charge of the front office. Just because Kenny Smith is getting an interview does not mean he's going to get the job. It's called doing your due diligence, and that's what Ranadive is doing here. If Kenny gets the job, it's because he has some great ideas on how to run an organization.

4. prs325

prs325 Member

Barkley Faints...

5. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

dont break up the tnt crew!

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Long as Ernie Johnson works for turner it's all good. He's the ship that keeps the show going.

7. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Yes, my bad I forgot to put the Clippers.

8. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

Morey's reign of terror on the Kings shall continue.

1 person likes this.
  9. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Actually, I started watching the NBA since 97. The Cavs been awful since I've been watching them. Lebron was great, but he left them. Yes I know the Bucks reached the eastern finals back in 2001 LMAO, and last time they won a title was back in 1971 LMAO.
    But does that make them a successful franchise? NO. Jabbar left them for the Lakers, maybe if he stayed there and retire there i'll consider them a great franchise. But they have a pile hole. And again I forgot to add the Clippers as another crap franchise.

10. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

Analysis is one thing. But being in somewhat control over an organization & making business decisions is whole new ball game.

11. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

The biggest issue I have with this list is you listing the Bucks. They actually have a better W-L% then the Rockets do. In the 70s, they won a title with the great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Oscar Robinson. Moncrief and Cummings headlined the teams in the 80s, who were very competitive. And in the early 2000s, they were successful with Ray Allen and Glenn Robinson and George Karl at the helm.

The five worst franchises are:
    1. Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets
    2. Los Angeles Clippers
    3. Memphis Grizzlies (Past couple years can't make-up for the all the poor ones)
    4. Minnesota Timberwolves
    5. Toronto Raptors

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I just don't think he is a GM material.

But then again its the Kings, so it doesn't really matter.

13. Big Red Machine

Surprised to see so many people think this is a good idea for the Kings...

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

While I love Morey...sometimes the ex-athlete can make a great GM. See Danny Ainge or Joe Dumars for a time.

It's because they understand how these players work a lot more than Morey ever will, and sometimes they just have a 'eye' for a guy and don't need numbers to know a guy has potential to be special.

With all that. F the Kings if they take Kenny away from TNT. I guess...Webber would replace him? That may not be so bad.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That would be awesome if Kenny hires Mario Elie or Sam Cassell as coach
    or both.

also Kenny needs to change the King's uni's they are whack.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Webber is very smart and i think he has much better insights then Kenny.

Kenny Smith often times rambles and you can tell he is trying too hard to impress people.

17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Damn, I can't believe I forgot the Timberwolves and Grizzlies too!!
    I agree with your list. I started watching the NBA in the late 90's and that was like the last time the Bucks were good. After that they were terrible and is the reason why I thought they were a bad franchise, though I did knew about Jabbar I didn't knew the were successful in the 80's. I take it back from all the bad things I said about them.

18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Good for kenny... Wish him the best...

19. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Absolutely cannot stand Kenny Smith. I can't decide if I want him to not get the job or get it and then fail

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

Interesting. I haven't thought about that.

However if it's true... then Shack is one dumb mafaka.