1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Smith: before and after winning NBA championships

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lemonte, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have good memories of Kenny as a Rocket (despite his defense, or lack there of), and I think he does a solid job with his TV gig. Where he ticks me off is when Charles says some incredibly stupid thing slamming the Rockets, and when Kenny's lips start to move to possibly disagree, nothing comes out. I've seen him do that many times. Smith needs to come out with some stronger opinions at other times, too. I get the feeling that he's careful not to rock the boat. Meanwhile, that's all Barkley seems to do. Take off the self-imposed straight jacket, Kenny!

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

How did Kenny know what size they wore? I imagine this giveaway to be the same as the t-shirts at Rockets games: hey, you guys want a pair of size 16's? Take the shoes either way.

3. DreamRoxCoogFan

Important question- do NBA players still hoop at Fonde? Every summer I get confused about it

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who was the last rockets point guard to start 455 games?

5. SemisolidSnake

Rejecting free shoes? Dissing a pro player when you're just a couple of nobodies at Fonde? Kenny Smith has two rings, and those two are probably up for parole soon.

I was young during those years (8ish-12ish), so everything's kind of a blur. (I really wish I had a source to watch old Rockets games from that era and before.) Regardless, I recall having plenty of respect for Kenny Smith the whole time. Even then I understood that he was a key role player on Team Olajuwon, just like every else, and they did their jobs well enough to net two championships. Fine with me.

Regardless of how he treats us on air, I've always been impressed by his quick transition to successful commentator as well. I'm happy for him.

6. elrond

elrond Member

Obviously he wasn't perfect, but I was always much more comfortable with him getting the ball and shooting the 3 compared to Maxwell or some of the other guys on the team. He was incredible in Game 1 of the Orlando series.

I do remember the Seattle series mentioned in the first post though, I remember it went 7 games with each team winning games at home. The last game went into OT I think, but unfortunately we lost. At that time I remember the joke being, if Gary Payton is the glove, then Kenny Smith is the hand that fit :grin:

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

He also lead the entire NBA in eFG% the year before the first championship! (a scorching 43.8% from 3 :eek:)

Give us a PG like Kenny right now, and we're in the NBA finals. Who was the last PG to shoot 40% from downtown as a Rocket (ie, on his Rocket career).

8. tinman

Supporting Member

He also didn't turn the ball over. Fundamentally strong point guard.

9. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

Dang no wonder why he hates houston so much

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The average NBAer (or any pro athlete) would school 95% of the competition at any pick-up game in their sport.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cQmfVyd_ykQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

Kenny Smith has two rings now. Then, he was almost as anonymous as the starting five for the Rice Owls, or even the present day UH Cougars.

13. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

I have told a story about Kenny Smith a couple of times. This was about 1993 or 1994 and around the time NBA jam had come out. Me and a friend were playing another two guys and I had just hit a game-winning three-pointer with Kenny Smith as my player. About 10 minutes later Kenny walks in and I was telling him the story about how I just won the game with him on NBA jam. He seemed amused but just kind of chuckled.

Cool story, bro.

14. Homey the Clown

sounds like a bunch of butthurt homers in here lol

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Rockets would be in the Finals now and Harden would be averaging 15 assists per game.

16. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Every now and then someone posts a video from back then and it's amazing watching Kenny perfectly pass to the post for Dream and re-post. Obviously, a lot of that is Dream, but it's clear the Rockets were a well oiled machine in that respect.

Then watch Bev try to post Howard and turn the ball over.