1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Smith and Barkley say Rockets are not better without TMac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Angkor Wat, Feb 27, 2009.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Rockets were better without McGrady last yr? Tracy, who was injured himself and took antiinflammatories, took a team without yao, an injured battier, and an injured rafer who was out for 2 games to 6 games v. a physical, confident utah jazz team.

u think yao could have done that last yr if tracy was out, rafer was out for 2 games, and battier was injured?

we're talking about an injured, frustrated, lack of confidence tracy this year. so if you're referring to that, yes we're better without that guy.

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

If I'm not mistaken Magic Johnson said something along those lines last season.

3. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

My take is that you become much easier to defend if they know you are going 1 on 5 (see LeBron last night). Even "The King" didn't get the calls in a regular season game.

I don't argue that McGrady should have drove to the cup more, no doubt about it. At the same time, he did do it some, and so often he'd put up a horrible shot (foul or not) and you'd hear the sheep sound and then see him mad dogging the official for the no call.

McGrady over a course of a game would make plays. Draw doubles, drive, kick to open shooters and such. But as the game would enter critical times, it seemed as he trusted no one else to make the play(s) or shot(s). A team is too easy to defend there. He made plays during some of the games, but ultimately, I think over a 7 game series, he had to trust more in the secondary role players to either make plays/shots, or even create for him.

4. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

That first statement is just plain false. It looks like I need to run another bunch of statistics. Sigh.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Angkor Wat, if you want a thread to be taken seriously you should try to remove some of your bias in original post. Your shot at Tinman and your entire second paragraph make you look immature and unable to form a reasonable argument.

Regarding this team and Tracy McGrady; yes, the team is better without the McGrady we saw this season. Would the team be better if had last season's McGrady? Maybe. Would the team be better if it had 2004-2005 McGrady? Highly likely.

The problem is that McGrady is broken down physically, mentally shattered AND he just had serious knee surgery. I don't really see why people are still discussing him anymore as being relevant. He isn't close to being the player he was when he came to Houston from Orlando and he never will be again. You might as well ask if this team would be better with 92-93 Hakeem or 77-78 Calvin Murphy.

All anyone has to do is look at the Rockets record this season with and without McGrady and they have the answer to the original question.

6. A13

A13 Member

Never Believed their Bosh, never. Go to the Hell...

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Its just the internet. I don't care if you took me serious or not. Kill me for trying to have fun, tinman style. Who are you? Tindaddy? All I did was post what Kenny and Chuck said about the situation. If you take that as being biased, go ahead. Its hard for me to form a reasonable argument when I didn't even make an arguement. Either way, I'm not going to bicker back and forth with you so just leave it at that.

8. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

Would the Rockets be better off with a superstar calibure scorer who could create his own shot? Of course. Will the rockets potentially have trouble come play-off time because they don't have that guy anymore? Likely. This season was T-Mac that guy. No.

9. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I cant say that I dont agree with Barkley on this one. He said if we win the 1st round w/o Tracy that would be a great accomplishment, and I agree. We're playing great right now, but in the post season, you need a finisher. Until we can get someone to rely on in the last 5 minutes of the 4th, we'll struggle.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They also said YAO MING has to be the best player on the Rockets.

What are you talking about not a positive view on Tmac?

I mean he's finally letting the Rockets use his Adidas philosophy

"It takes 5"

and

"You were fooled"

Thanks Tmac! Great advice for the guys!
    :D

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What good is Tmac if he can't even guard Kenny Smith in this picture?

12. leonking

leonking Rookie

What'a joke, did you watch the first 12 games during the 22 win streak? You think they are WORSE than the last 10 wins without Yao?

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n_QXL4z5hcM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n_QXL4z5hcM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:D :D

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

lol i don't think Skip or Penny himself could have guarded that jumper either.

15. conquistador#11

let's say that there are 2 people inside a car...onne is driving and the other is just there as the passenger, when suddenly they need to pullover to get gas. The passanger believes that getting out and pouring the gas is just as important as the driving...

sincerely,
    Kenn-y S.

16. lewzhy

lewzhy Member

yeah,rockets are better with 100% healthy tmac
    the one in great shape,runing up and down the court
    play defense.

wake up,you guys
    that's not tmac,that is MJ!

tmac never changed his game,he will never change.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

That's it in a nutshell. I think with him out and the guessing is out, everyone can just settle and play ball. Its no different than last yr without yao except this team has more talent than the one last year minus Yao. I didn't think and still don't think they can win a title unless the miss La. I didn't think they could beat La when healthy anyway. I don't think Tracy will play again in houston so it makes sense for the team to just move forward.

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

They're both idiots, and many of the things they said are stupid... BUT, it's true that we are not better off without a *healthy* T-Mac.

19. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

thats Penny Hardaway man. Kenny smith was retired before t-mac was even in orlando in the 2000-2001 season.

20. ibm

ibm Member

damn dream's d was terrible. :p