1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kendrick Perkins Inks Extension With Thunder

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Turpis, Mar 1, 2011.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Also dont forget that the #1 reason why Morey couldn't land the 2011 free agent/traded Stars is because those two players were conference rivals. The fact that most of the budding superstars are all in the West too wont help Morey's cause.

2. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

great move by the thunders.
    i was expecting perkins play for us net year.

3. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Just checked hoopshype on Camby -
    10/11 $8,453,250
    11/12 $9,256,500

Compare the contract to Haywood in Dallas - turns 32 this year.
    10/11 $6,900,000
    11/12 $7,624,500
    12/13 $8,349,000
    13/14 $9,073,500
    14/15 $9,798,000
    15/16 $10,522,500 (team option on this year)

Perkins turns 27 this year. Most important thing about this extension? Perkins is willing to play in Oklahoma City. (Whether his body holds up is another matter.)

4. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

Sarcasm?

5. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

He played 30 minutes his rookie season. 547 minutes his second season. :rolleyes:

6. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Repped for the bad memory. :grin:

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I tend to agree with you. I wanted Morey to go after Perkins at the deadline but assumed it wouldn't happen because the Celtics would want him for the playoff run. Apparently not. But, they did get a good player back. Maybe it works, maybe not. Definitely a ballsy move considering what's at stake. They may get crucified for this trade later.

8. eman

eman Contributing Member

Yeah, I was shocked they let Perkins go. Seemed like they loved him up there. Either they didn't want to spend so much to keep him, or his knee's worse than the Thunder think, or there's something else going on we don't know about.

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah Durant falling into Presti's lap was a franchise changer. The Perkins deal was pure Gold IMO, drafting Westbrook and so on.

I'm not as big a Derozan guy as most, going with Harden over Steph was questionable. This said, there were questions on whether Curry could play point, he's small for the two, so I see why they drafted Harden.

Most GM's miss on guys, but I wouldn't say it was a colossal mistake not drafting Curry.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The profuse, exaggerated and universal praise about this signing for OKC means that it won't work out well.

11. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

Whoah, Perkins got PAID for a dude that's never averaged more than 10 points or 8 rebounds in his career. He's short for a center too...

We will see how effective his defense is not playing next to KG anymore.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree Morey is good, and Presti has been lucky, but Presti also extends his better players and keeps them happy, unlike Morey.

I think that is 100% the better way to go.

DD

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Agreed, if Chuck Hayes were on the Celtics he would get the Kendrick Perkins treatment. I'm not convinced on this guy at all.

14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Acquiring Perkins wasnt Presti's "genius" move, it was a good move/trade/gamble to rectify his horrible mistake of not acquiring Marcus Camby last year to anchor their frontline for the playoffs. And unlike Perkins, who came at the cost of Jeff Green and an LA clippers 1st rounder, Marcus Camby was available for basically nothing but expiring contracts (steve blake and outlaw). He was the perfect fit for the Thunders, with his size, defense AND shooting/spacing, something which Perkins and his limited offensive game is without. Camby would have allowed the Thunders to play Ibaka more at pf with Camby at C to better match up against the Lakers. With his ability to shoot mid range jumpers, he would have allowed spacing for Durant and Westbrook. His ability to block shots and rebound Camby would have been the anchor to the Thunders already formidable defense.

While I do think Camby might have been a better fit, getting perkins was a great move for the thunder. They desperately needed some size and defensive toughness. Perkins isnt half the player Camby is offensively, but in toughness/defense and intensity hes got the edge. And either is a better fit than Green. I agree with those who think the extension isnt a great bargain or but rather a bit optimistic. Despite a limited offensive game, Perkins should merit the salary based on his defensive play, however Perkins is susceptible to injury, doesn't have much chance of overplaying his contract, due to limited offensive growth and may not be as effective defensively in a new system with new teammate. In short, as long as he can stay on the court, doesn't regress (which is more likely than him improving) he'll be worth the contract. In other words, the Thunder better hope he doesnt pull a Brendan Haywood.

15. StanleyHartwell

Perkins is the anti-Camby (or anti-Love). He plays great defense, boxing out, and can defend Dwight Howard (last year's version) one-on-one, while the other two get their rebounds, but nothing else.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm quite sure DM tried to acquire Perkins. Boston were interested in Shane,but probably didn't think he was good enough in exchange for Kendrick. They went with a younger player in Green instead.

17. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Horrible mistake, huh?

I think most agree that the Thunder weren't experienced enough to be real contenders last year. Marcus Camby is ancient and can't have that much gas left so I would think that having more flexibility while waiting for a younger center was why Thunder didn't make a bid for him.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

The difference between Morey and Presti is not Kevin Durant. It's

1. Kevin Durant on rookie contract
    2. Jeff Green on rookie contract
    3. #4 pick in the draft and subsequently rookie contract
    4. #3 pick in the draft the year after and subsequently rookie contract
    5. No bad contracts
    6. Ridiculous amount of room under the cap

vs.

1. Injured Yao on max deal
    2. Injured Pouty T-Mac on even bigger max deal
    3. No young players worth a damn
    4. No legit cap room since becoming the GM.
    5. Have to try to win due to having legit stars

Morey's biggest mistake is that he signed up with the Rockets. And he inherited a team that no one can truly recover from in the short term.

19. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

Not sure if you've ever watched Camby play to say such a thing. Or if you're completely discrediting his DPOY or all-defensive team awards...Camby was an excellent defender and prolific shot blocker...and is still no slouch. I'd take a prime Camby over Perkins any day of the week. Kevin Love is a terrible defender, no doubt.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

As an on-ball post defender, Perkins blows Camby away. Camby is a better help defender, rebounder and shot-blocker.

This season, Camby is a superior player but he doesn't fit the Sam Presti mold of being a long-term piece in OKC.