1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kendrick Perkins Inks Extension With Thunder

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Turpis, Mar 1, 2011.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Like mikol13 said, it's a lot easier to build a title contender when Kevin Durant falls in your lap.

That said, it's tough to argue that anyone is doing a better job as GM in the NBA right now than Sam Presti. Between the Nick Collison extension, the Kendrick Perkins trade and now the Perkins extension, he's easily the Executive of the Year this season.

But before fans start complaining about Morey not being on Presti's level, just realize that the biggest difference between Morey and Presti is luck. Presti is a genius GM who has had a lot of things go his way. Morey is a genius GM who has been saddled with injured stars on huge, cap-clogging contracts that are only now coming off the books when the league enters the unknown of a new CBA and with a less-than-stellar free agent class.

You know the saying, "It's better to be lucky than good."

Morey is one of those things (good . . . VERY good, actually).

Presti is both.

1 person likes this.
  2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think the big question though is did they just cost THIS year's squad a chance at the championship?? Isn't winning another trophy worth the risk of Perkins leaving for nothing in the summer? I bet any Boston fan would be willing to let Kendrick walk away for free if it means another (and most likely LAST) trip to the Finals for this current group. I agree with the principle of what Ainge did, but I don't think the timing was right. If his team was a middle-of-the-pack playoff team in the East, then I would totally understand trying to get better for the future, but his team is poised to make a serious title run, and they might have just traded their way out of it by giving up all their size. I don't know though, it's a conundrum.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'd say Presti was able to tip the "Did he or didn't he overpay?" scale in his favor ever so slightly on this one. It was close, though.

But hey, they got their guy. Perkins can give them the type of toughness any contender needs upfront to deal with the NBA's elite bigs that will likely stand in their way. Good for them.

On a side note: watching teams like the Thunder adding potential over-the-top pieces really puts things into perspective from a Rockets standpoint. We have a lot of work to do.

4. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I really hope this trade works out for both teams long term. I think its ominous for the Thunder that they get Perk and he's injured.

Also the Rockets know what its like to lose your center against the Lakers in the playoffs to disastrous consequences.

5. lionaire

lionaire Member

I don't even...

6. VBG

VBG Member

I think its hard to completely judge Kendrick Perkins defense as he has been part of an amazing Celtics team defense.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I guess I'm the only one who has reservations about this contract.

This might be a big mistake by Presti. I've mentioned my feelings about Perkins in another thread. But I must admit the Thunder may be a great fit for him just like the Celts were. Gotta see him on the court. If Perk just gets the Thunder to play tenacious defense once again, it may be worth the drag he is on their offense.

8. devilsdandruff

so Celtics offered him 4 yr/22m?
    what a dic k.

9. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Presti the genius? That roster would be **** soup without Durant. Plus I think the trade was a mistake and the extension just compounded that mistake.

10. Steve_Francis_rules

How was the trade a mistake? They gave up a guy who was playing out of position and didn't really fit well with the team for a big man who can fill one of their biggest needs. Without the extension, they could have let things play out this year to see how Perkins fits with the team and let him walk if it doesn't work out.

I can see why you might think the extension was a mistake, but not the trade.

In addition to Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka were two other good draft picks by Presti. James Harden may have been a bad pick, but who should they have taken instead, taking into account chemistry and how the players fit together?

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This. Also, like with Collison, the Perkins extension was structured using some of OKC's available cap room in order to give Perkins a sizeable signing bonus (not sure exactly how much, though). In exchange for the up-front money (in advance of a protracted lockout), it is likely that Perkins yielded somewhat in his contract demands from an annual salary standpoint.

12. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I was thinking that too but then again, Perkins is coming back from injury, and who knows if he'd be at full strength by playoff time. They would rather trade Perkins for some young talent then let him walk away in the offseason.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He got owned by Howard recently.

Plus, isn't he missing another 2-3 weeks bc of that same knee? Perkins is easily worth 8 pre-injury. The jury is still out on his play post-injury.

14. spysta

spysta Member

In all fairness, imo Perkins was the key to that defense, sure garnett was barking like the chihuahua but without perkins the celts defense will experience a significant drop off.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah if I came off saying that Presti is a genius only because of Durant, I don't believe that for one minute. "Presto" has made some amazing moves, it seems as though he doesn't make mistakes. For my money, easily the best GM in the business.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Idk about that. Durant fell to them but drafting Westbrook and Ibaka were definitely great moves. Drafting Harden over Curry and Derozan was a terrible pick.

Plus, he hasn't really done anything in free agency which makes sense bc he has to save money for Westbrook but naming him the best in the business is premature. Morey has been more impressive imo when you consider what he has had to work with.

17. lalala902102001

A good starting center in the NBA gets 8-10 mil dollars a year. That's just the market price.

18. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Didnt Camby just get 10 for 2 years.. last year?

19. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

especially after several surgeries/procedures/serious injuries

20. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

I think it's safe to say we'll be seeing the Thunder in the finals sometime in the next few years.