1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ken Rosenthal]Astros in Hot Pursuit of Tejada

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TMac#1, Jul 28, 2006.

1. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5825796

Several teams make tempting offers for Tejada
    Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 2 hours ago

The Astros, Angels and Rangers are offering significant major-league talent for Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada, FOXSports.com has learned.

Orioles owner Peter Angelos, who said last month that the team would not trade Tejada, could reconsider his position due to the quality of the proposals.
    The Angels are offering right-hander Ervin Santana and Class AAA shortstop Erick Aybar, according to multiple major-league sources.

The Astros are offering "prime major-league pieces," a major-league source says, topping the proposal they made for Tejada last off-season – closer Brad Lidge, shortstop Adam Everett and an outfielder, either Jason Lane or Willy Taveras.

The Rangers' package is centered around third baseman Hank Blalock, though the team is believed to be more intent on improving their pitching after parting with setup man Francisco Cordero in their trade for Brewers left fielder Carlos Lee.

The Tigers and Dodgers also have shown interest in Tejada, who has emerged as a hot trade commodity in part because he is signed through 2009 at an average salary of nearly $13 million per season.

Angelos, however, is a slow, painstaking negotiator who might not be prepared to move Tejada before Monday's non-waiver deadline, if he is willing to move him at all.

The Angels, pushing hard to add an impact hitter, also are among the teams pursuing Nationals left fielder Alfonso Soriano, who is a free agent at the end of the season.

But considering the Nationals' steep asking price for two months of Soriano, the Angels might prefer three-plus years of Tejada, whom they likely would move to third base. Tejada also would play third for the Rangers, who have lots of the young pitching that the Orioles desire.

The Astros, who have become increasingly aggressive in their search for another slugger, would play Tejada at shortstop and send their current shortstop, Everett, to the Orioles.

Everett also was part of the Tejada discussions last off-season. The talks died after Tejada rescinded his request to be traded.

Lidge, who is struggling this season, likely would not be included in the Astros' revised package; the Orioles are happy with their young closer, right-hander Chris Ray.

The Angels, sources say, made the second-best offers for the Brewers' Lee, who went to the Rangers on Friday, and Indians first baseman Ben Broussard, who went to the Mariners on Wednesday.

Aybar, who is batting .314 with a .361 on-base percentage and a .480 slugging percentage at Class AAA Salt Lake, was the centerpiece of the Angels' offer for Lee, and the player that the Indians wanted for Broussard.

Ken Rosenthal is FOXSports.com's senior baseball writer.

2. ak47

ak47 Member

I hope we can get Tejada without giving up Jason Hirsh.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I would do that in a hearbeat but why would the Orioles?

4. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

Rangers will get Tejada I bet.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Hard to believe we wouldn't be giving up Pence, Hirsh, Nieve, or another prospect.

Everett is a given as a replacement, and Lane is a non-factor. Taveras is slightly better than Lane, and Lidge is a question mark.

6. htownballa23

htownballa23 Contributing Member

Who knows...just make it happen.

7. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

Sad fact is, both Tejada and Soriano will be traded mid-day on Monday....

8. AggieRocketFan96

Rangers? Damn, they are definently trying to stack their team!

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I'd laugh if they took Jason Lane over Willy T

10. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Orioles Trade:
    Miguel Tejada

Orioles Receive:
    Everett
    Qualls
    Pence

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I wouldn't. I'd much rather give Taveras than Lane. Although I consider both generally worthless.

12. htownballa23

htownballa23 Contributing Member

Not looking too good. Jose Ortiz from the Chronicle is talking on Fox Sports right now. Says he would be surprised if we traded for someone significant, and those Tejada rumors are false.

Also mentioned the Orioles dont belive that Lidge has the mental toughness or capability, so they are not too sure if they even want him or not.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

probably not the last time i say this: i'll be shocked if the orioles trade tejada anywhere.

14. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Tejada they come.. Tejada they fall son.

15. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I would sing zippity do-dah at my office, if we landed Tejada.

Even then, I still have some doubts that this is just not our season. :(

16. MadMax

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.ostrade29jul29,0,1300364.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

Trade talk getting louder for Tejada as deadline nears
    By Dan Connolly
    Sun Reporter
    Originally published July 29, 2006
    The Orioles still contend that they aren't shopping Miguel Tejada , but they are listening to offers and one club source acknowledged that the front office received calls from "multiple teams" yesterday about the star shortstop.

Among those who continue to show interest are the Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Dodgers, Houston Astros, Detroit Tigers and Texas Rangers, the source confirmed. The Chicago White Sox, who were at Camden Yards last night, and the Minnesota Twins have not recently discussed acquiring Tejada, the source said.

The Angels, who are a half game ahead of the Oakland Athletics in the American League West, are still considered favorites in the potential Tejada sweepstakes because of their wealth of prospects.

However, a potential deal with Los Angeles may be complicated because of injuries to the Angels' rotation and the Orioles' insistence on receiving a top-tier starter in return.

In fact, one club source said the team's demands for a quality major league pitcher and two other above-average players or prospects have not changed and will not change.

"[An offer] would have to be really extraordinary," the source said, for the Orioles to part with Tejada, who leads the team in home runs, RBIs and batting average.

It is more likely, the source said, that Tejada would be dealt in this or perhaps the next offseason, but even then the trade demands wouldn't change. After signing a six-year, $72 million deal in December 2003, he is committed to the Orioles through 2009.

With the Milwaukee Brewers trading Carlos Lee to the Rangers yesterday, Tejada, the Washington Nationals' Alfonso Soriano and Philadelphia Phillies' Bobby Abreu are the highest-profile sluggers potentially available before Monday's non-waiver trade deadline. Of the three, only Soriano is a free agent at season's end.

Because of their stocked farm system, the Angels have been the most-discussed landing spot for Tejada. In return, the Orioles reportedly want either shortstop prospect Brandon Wood or rookie second baseman Howie Kendrick and a major league pitcher - likely 23-year-old right-hander Ervin Santana - and possibly another player.

But it's unlikely the Angels would deal Santana, (11-4, 4.25 ERA) especially with their rotation in flux. Reigning American League Cy Young Award winner Bartolo Colon left his last start with elbow pain and could be headed back to the disabled list, and Kelvim Escobar is pitching in pain.

However, Foxsports.com has reported that the Angels offered Santana and Triple-A shortstop Erick Aybar for Tejada and one Angels source would not confirm nor deny the report according to the Los Angeles Times.

The front office also had discussions with various teams yesterday about first baseman Jeff Conine , starter Rodrigo Lopez and reliever LaTroy Hawkins . Hawkins and Conine are both free agents; Lopez has one year left in arbitration. There continues to be no interest in catcher Javy Lopez , who also is a free agent.

The St. Louis Cardinals, Atlanta Braves and Cincinnati Reds have been rumored to be potential suitors for Conine, and another possible fit are the New York Yankees, who reportedly are looking for a right-handed first baseman.

No deals are imminent, but the source added that the front office is still hopeful it can find matches by 4 p.m. Monday.

17. wood

wood Member

For our sake (Astros fans) I hope we get one of them. If we do not aquire a big bat by the deadline, we do not make the playoffs.
    With that said, Clemens deserves better. Send him to Boston for prospects. The Astros owe him that much......
    WE NEED TEJADA!!!

18. MadMax

please, everyone stop with the pity for poor Mr. Clemens. the man is making a fortune pitching half a season. he didn't do us any favors...we're paying him a very fair rate for him to sleep in his own bed every night and not go on road trips when he doesn't have to pitch. i'm guessing roger clemens doesn't want to be traded anywhere. otherwise he would have actually seriously engaged other teams like boston when he could have.

19. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Is one bat really gonna make that much of a difference?

20. MadMax

i think a significant bat could make a difference.

but i'm not sure it's going to be enough to make the playoffs. the starting pitching isn't nearly as strong this year as it was last year.