1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ken Berger] Rockets trying to acquire another 1st-round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jun 22, 2015.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is what he does when he sees low first rounders instead of high 2nd rounders

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Nice post and likely the correct strategy. Morey said this reminds him of the 2012 draft which had a number of solid players. Morey had 3 first rounders that year - we might see Morey play the odds again. He missed on Ezili and Green last time...

3. basketballholic

Hopefully we can get that pick and move up and draft Richaun Holmes and lock him up for 4 years.

4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I heard the nuggets brought in Tyus Jones for a workout this mounrning. Could be they have a deal in place with houston for 18(Tyus Jones), tj/dmo and kpap for Lawson? We all know they are not taking Tyus at 7 so that only leaves one other option and it sounds like the houston option too me.

Maybe houston is trying to get another 1st rounder to sweeten the deal, Lawson on this team would do wonders. I don't think people really grasp it but Ty is a special player and playing in a good situation like Houston he could look better than dragic and lowery for cheaper price with less years on the contract not to mention younger.

5. Chamillionaire

I read somewhere on here they're concerned about Lawson's character issues.

6. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

IT rains a lot in Portland?..... It's happening!

7. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Rain emoji can literally mean any team in the NBA except for LA or Phoenix. Think about it, if it turns out it's Orlando, he was right. If it turns out it was New Orleans, he was right. Boston? Minnesota? Miami?

8. Patricker

Patricker Rookie

1.Kpap+N.Johnson+future 1st round pick <==> Jeff Green(MEM)+#25 pick

2.T.Jones+#18 pick+Jeff Green+#25 pick<==>C.Frye(ORL)+#5

3.DMO+C.Frye+C.Brewer+#5+future 1st round pick<==>L.Aldridge

9. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Miami is looking to dump Chalmers and Anderson. KPap, Prigioni and #32 and a future first for #10 might work.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nice. That's a lot of moving around.

11. Asian Sensation

TJ flies back home to rainy Portland and yes we're trying to move up in the draft to pick a PF.

12. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

DMO, TJONES, Brewer, Kpapa, Nick Johnson, and a first round pick for LaMarcus?

This just might be crazy enough to work

13. hvic

hvic Member

There is no reason that Memphis would trade away Jeff Green for that

14. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Late first round pick for T Jones.

15. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Doc rockets riddles are the worst. Anyway....I need more rumors!

16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

If that's the case I'm hoping they move up for Myles Turner.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

For all the "we are trading Jones" for a 1st crowd, if the Rockets are contacting teams about acquiring their 1st rounder, more than likely they aren't introduced as a Seller (meaning: "Hey do you want to buy this pretty new car"). They are calling as a buyer (meaning: "Hey I'm looking to buy your car, how much do you want for it?").

What I want to know is coming in with that strategy, do any of you think that Jones will actually be the name that the Sellers actually go for?

Yes, the list to pull from is pretty limited given that no team is going to say "Sure, the pick is available for Harden and Howard together", but they will be looking at this list. Who do you think is going to get asked for first, second, and third?

-Ariza
    -Papanikolaou
    -Prigioni
    -Motiejunas
    -Jones
    -Capela
    -Johnson

IMO, I think you probably get Motiejunas, Capela, and even Ariza offers before you get Jones interest.

So keep that in mind folks. This report is saying the Rockets are obviously scouring the market like buyers. They don't seem to be selling Terrence Jones. If they were the report would look much more like this one.

This also kind of makes me think its highly unlikely they acquire a pick with a straight up player for pick swap. What would seem to be more likely would be a Dalembert draft night type of trade where the Rockets do some contract maneuvering to help a team with creating cap. Keep in mind the Rockets want to operate over the cap this upcoming season and just need to stay under the luxury tax realistically so they can keep their MLE level. Could see come cap maneuvering from other teams impacting the Rockets moving around the draft board as they've done several times before.

#77 dobro1229, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  18. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

Exactly what I formulated from Doc

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I would give up either TJ or DMO to get Turner IMO. I think he's going to be that good.

20. Sanity2disChaos

Its never good to selling players...Lowers their value. But we all know Jones is being shopped and you got to be crazy if you think Dmo, Capela are even safe if the right guy is available.