1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelvin Sampson discusses the Rockets' growth on offense, the Jeremy Lin-James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mr. 13 in 33, Nov 13, 2012.

1. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

TD played really well when he was in, and umm yaaa Lin is a liability at times on some match ups
    -actually Sampson almost coached us to a tough win, I thought the leaving PP in, and Asik out was a mistake, but I like him so far....he's no long term piece, although I would trust him over Finch, right now

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yet at the same time he mentioned all the times that Harden created shots doing the very same thing, which is what it seems a lot of you are forgetting.

Sampson that time said with one minute left they have to get better shots than Harden Iso and everyone knows that. That's on the coach in such crucial situations.

3. jaedenky

jaedenky Member

LOL, compare the first page of this thread to the "Lin's a joke!!!" thread, in that one the first five pages were people agreeing with the op saying ya he sucks, scrub, fluke. Now in this threads first page people replying trying to defend Sampson and calling the OP a r****d. Double standard??

4. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

So what is so different from my comment to the OP from what your comment is to me? The opinion I expressed was undoubtedly going to be expressed by someone and it does not clutter the BBS like a thread would.

I do not know what you are trying to accomplish here with your comment, but I don't see how your criticism is any more or any less productive than my own.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I got an idea, any thread that has less than 3 stars after 10 posts automatically gets deleted :cool:

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You have to admit, they are hilarious.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I had no idea McHale had an account here?

8. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I do agree that Lin is a leader. Almost every young leader in the NBA has a few losing seasons before they help lead their team to victories.

With that being said, we are not a complete team and no player on our team will ever be on the same level as Durant or Lebron; however, Harden has potential to be on Wade's level and Lin has potential to be an upper 2nd tier PG. Do I think they will reach it? Yes, in the next three years.

9. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Sometimes people rate the thread poorly based on the content of an article (maybe a writer says bad things about the Rockets).

10. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

I think Lin can be a leader, but not on this team, at least not with these coaches. I hope the next team he is traded to actually want to play him as a PG. Or the rockets get a new coach who sees his value as a player and doesn't rate him as below TD.

11. bongman

bongman Member

You just said it, anything is possible. Why can't we wait till we have had 20 games until we come up with conclusions? This team is in discovery mode and trying to figure out the best way to be successful. I can only suggest that we exercise a little more patience.

12. seyton

seyton Member

Man these boards are taking a real unnecessary negative tone with everything.

13. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

I suspect we have little choice BUT to exercise patience.

There are some positives from Sampson for the team. He wants to create more plays, he acknoweldges the error on Asik and recognises that there needs to be more ball movement.

But where Lin is concerned there hasn't been anything positive from him and I don't think there will be. He made up his mind before Lin got here that he had no value as a player and that's how he's treated him thus far. I don't see any reason for that to change unless Lin suddenly becomes Ray Allen.

14. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

A lot more things will change in the next two years than just the coach. Morey is the hardest working GM in the league and I promise you that he is making lots of moves to get this team back to contention. In my opinion, he basically sped up the rebuilding process 2-3 years just this off season.

15. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

I hope so, but the way things are right now, I don't see a future for Lin on this team.

And even though I'm a Lin fan, I want the rockets to succeed. And I think if Lin was utilised properly they'll do a lot better. They're completely failing to make use of his talent/potential because of the coaching staff's blind bias against him.

16. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

It's called being real, as in realistic.

Sampson has a pretty good coaching record and seems to know what he's doing. Lin has not played well. Maybe the Rockets could use him better -- there's certainly an argument to be made there.
    If I'm not mistaken Sampson more than anything is responsible for the defense, not the offense. He probably has some input in the offense, but that's not why he was hired.
    He's obviously not going to change much of the offense in his time as the intern HC either.

Look, the Rockets should find a way to use Lin (and Harden) better, but those things will take some time and this roster isn't exactly designed to Lin and Harden to excel.

You don't really know who runs the offense to begin with, so why bother blaming certain coaches? For all we know the Rockets FO may want to have the coaches run a certain system of offense.
    Again, it will take time for the Rockets to self-assess their roster and their offense and make adjustments accordingly.

LOFs deflecting any blame off Lin and making excuses just to make whatever argument is getting old fast and the quality off the GARM has dropped significantly over the past few weeks/months, because of it.

17. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Perfectly said. The best case scenarioa (or what I hope) is the coaches want to develop both Harden and Lin as Combo Guards so they are interchangeable to match up the opponents. If so, hope it would be successful.

18. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

If Lin as actually allowed to play as PG and sucking at it then you could say that people are deflecting any blame.

So far, anytime he's actually allowed to run the point he's done a good job of it.

Saying that you can't expect Lin to play as a spot up shooter when he isn't one isn't deflecting blame, it's stating the obvious. I'd say that quality of GARM is affected much more by people looking for every opportunity to **** on Lin, whether it's justified or not.

19. bongman

bongman Member

In addition to patience, maybe we can give them a little bit of trust that they will be able to mold these young players to reach or maybe exceed their potential. I can't think of any coach who doesn't want ALL their players to succeed because that usually equates to more wins.

20. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Also... excuses for what? Out of 50 starting PGs in the League Lin as a usage rate better than only 3 other players? Tony Douglas has a higher ball usage rate.

Are you going to seriously tell me that his PG play in the first 7 games is enough to prove that he deserves to be rated that low and used that less?

In his second game he had 21/10/7. Then they stopped using him as a point guard and put him in the corner. He is taking less than 10 shots a game. He is spending the majority of the time not handling the ball.

You can call it deflecting blame, but I don't see how any fair minded person can expect him to produce under these kind of circumstances?

That airball in the last game is a perfect example. He barely gets to touch the ball the entire quarter, and then is expect to just light it up from 3? He is not Novak.