1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelvin Cato Anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by poprocks, Mar 18, 2008.

1. poprocks

poprocks Member

Cato when he was here last was a better rebounder than Yao. He's absolutely better than Curry. He freed up Yao's game when we played them together. The two of them played well together.

Cato's stats last time he was a Rocket. He'd be good for rebounding and defense which is all we need for a few minutes to relieve Mutumbo and give us the needed size defensively.

Kelvin Cato (6.6 ppg, 11.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 28.0 minutes

If he's in any kind of basketball shape, would he be worth a look? He's 34 year old. I'd check out that shoulder condition first but maybe he's ok in limited minutes.

Kelvin Cato
    Currently Free Agent

Cato was an obscure player averaging six points and six rebounds at the University of South Alabama in 1992-93. At that time, he struck up a relationship with then University of New Orleans coach Tim Floyd, who recognized Cato's potential. In 1994, Floyd took over as head coach at Iowa State University and convinced Cato to transfer to Iowa State. Cato averaged 11 points, eight rebounds and four blocks per game for an Iowa State team that reached the Sweet Sixteen of the 1997 NCAA Basketball Tournament.

NBA career
    Drafted 15th overall in the 1997 NBA Draft by the Dallas Mavericks, Cato's draft rights were immediately traded to the Portland Trail Blazers for the draft rights to Chris Anstey and cash considerations. Cato averaged 3.8 and 3.5 points per game in his two seasons in Portland before being bundled in a six-for-one deal with the Houston Rockets that sent Scottie Pippen to the Blazers.

He spent five years in Houston, averaging a career-high 8.7 points per game in 1999-2000, and started all but two of the games he played in both the 2001-02 and 2003-04 seasons. On October 28, 1999, Cato signed a six-year, $42,000,000 contract extension that increased in controversy as his playing statistics cooled. On June 29, 2004, the Rockets traded Cato in a seven-player deal that sent Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, and Cato to the Orlando Magic for Tracy McGrady, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue, and Reece Gaines. While he started 50 games in the 2004-05 season for the Magic, his playing minutes went down significantly the following season as he battled shoulder injuries.

On February 15, 2006, Cato, along with the Magic's first-round pick in the 2007 NBA Draft, was traded to the Detroit Pistons for center Darko Miličić and point guard Carlos Arroyo. Cato finished out the season with the Pistons, but signed with the New York Knicks just before the start of the 2006-07 season.

2. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

You know a team is desperate when we look for Kelvin Cato to save the team.

It's better to just roll with what we have, continue building team work, get some playoff experience, and plan for next year. You'd be foolish to think there's any **1** guy out there we can get that'll help us to have a shot this year at the title, which is the whole point.

3. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Cato is a guaranteed 1 alley oop a game

4. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I know we got beat by size against the Celtics, but let's not go overboard here.

5. dafranchise0309

I am sorry to say it but...Dikembe...is not working...

6. lustdog

lustdog Member

NBA is no place for football players.
    Well, not a team going for the title at least.

7. GAY4WHO???

GAY4WHO??? Member

we need immediate size for the playoffs...I think the kandi man might be a better option since I dont think hes as far removed from the league....but yeah, we need a big...that our biggest problem is the other team can dominate the glass

8. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

Bring em in here, we cant just hesitate bringing a big forever, anyone decent with size please

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The streak is over so Olowokandi can't be blamed for jinxing the team or anything. Can he adapt to a defensive philosophy though?

He'd be the most talented and freshest of all the options named. Cato...I wouldnt be too mad at that. Again its the negative vibes type thing with him

10. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

there's nobody out there who can help us more than what's on our roster. we're gonna have to hope landry comes back soon and we continue getting great teamwork from everybody.

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You need to check your facts.

11 Rpg??? Cato's career best is 7.0 rpg in '01-'02
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?statsId=3185

Additionally, you'll find that in their years together, Cato never averaged more reb/game than Yao and in only one season did he average more reb/minute.

14. poprocks

poprocks Member

That stat is from Wikipedia during Cato's first go around with Yao and the Rockets.

15. poprocks

poprocks Member

16. Water Boy

Water Boy Member

I knew we should've never traded Malick Badiane... ;) ;) ;) ;)

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So have you ever seen "foaming dog/snot bubble" play?

18. tmackills

tmackills Member

Sounds good. While we're at it, we should see if Kevin Willis is available.

19. poprocks

poprocks Member

dagnabit, I check all my browser history and I can't find that stat anywhere. I thought it was from the original article from Wiki. Ok scratch that then.

Still he used to be a decent rebounding force. Here's an old article from clutchfans about Cato.

http://www.makingpages.org/hoops/kelvin.cato.html

Typical are comments on the Clutch BBS such as "He can't even handle a simple pass" and "I think you might be forgetting all the 0 point, 2 rebound, 4 fouls performances that Cato puts up on a nightly basis."

I looked at Cato's 2001-02 stats on the web and did some analysis. (I put all those stats from the web into an Excel spreadsheet for analysis which you can download if you like.)

I found no 0 point, 2 rebound, 4 fouls performances at all for Cato. And lest you think I am being picky, Cato had 13 zero point games all year, and 7 of those were DNP. In his six nonscoring games, he averaged 14.8 minutes and 4.7 rebounds, which is not very good — but also not typical.

Cato played 75 games, averaging 26 minutes, and fouled out only 5 times. He averaged 2.8 fouls per game, which was an area he had been asked to improve on. He averaged 6.6 points and 7 boards (13.1 per 48, which is not too bad) and blocked 1.3 (2.9 per 48, which was disappointing but not terrible).

As for all those turnovers, I guess the scorekeeper missed them all. He averaged 0.7 TO (including 39 games where he had none at all), 0.5 steals, and 0.4 assists, for a "good hands" average of 1.30 (assists+steals/TO). Pretty fair.

Value to the team? The Rockets were 28-54 (.341) overall. In the seven games without Cato, they were only 2-5 (.286). When Cato played 30 minutes or more, they were 9-15 (.375) and when he played 40 or more, they were 4-1 (.800). It really doesn't sound like he hurt the team all that much. In fact, it sounds like the more Cato played, the better the Rockets did!

He had 11 double doubles and the Rockets were 6-5 in those games. He had double figure rebounds 24 times. Wasn't rebounding the other main area he was asked to improve in?

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Where is that Motivation Poster with Cato with all the Money?

Rocket River