1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly Iko: Could Houston acquire Andre Iguodala? Trade for Kevin Love? Upgrade in any way?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 29, 2019.

1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

While I do agree to an extent I assume their philosophy is similar to last year which failed in the early part of the season. Once they realized none of the 5 players that were competing for minutes on min deals sucked, Morey was able to find House and Rivers.

Granted, I would rather we just get rotation worthy players from the start but it would be nice if 1 of the 4 or 5 guys that will compete in camp can win over some minutes. We already have 8 rotation worthy players if you include House and Chandler (this is assuming House can contribute similar to how he performed early in the season). Ideally, we would expand that rotation to 9 or even 10 on some nights especially with Chandler getting some games off. I can see one or 2 of Gerald Green, Gary Clark, Anthony Bennett, Ben McLemore, Terrence Jones being useful for 15 minutes a game. At least these players all of talent AND appear to be good fits for our system unlike last season. Defensively, yes Clark is the only one that has any defensive potential and was a zero on offense most of the season. However, I do like the idea of adding an athletic big like Tjones that can finish pretty well around the rim playing a small ball 5 running with Westbrook on the break. He could be a good fit and produce similar to Faried last season.

It would be dumb for Morey, etc. to count on these guys stepping up but it may make sense to see what they got first since we at least have 8 rotation worthy players this go around and we can let the chips fall where they may as the season progresses. I do hope we have 10 rotation worthy players by the time playoffs roll around though and not sure our roster is setup for that yet. Definitely could use a 3/4 or 4/5 with above average defense and average offense (in the mold of Iggy) so we can good chemistry and settle on a 9 man rotation before the playoffs.

8 rotation worthy players
    Harden
    Westbrook
    Tucker
    Gordon
    Capela
    Rivers
    House (fingers crossed he fits in like he did last year during that good stretch of games) Could play some 4 especially with Westbrook on the court.
    Chandler (hopefully good for 10-15 minutes and 50-60 games in the regular season, healthy for the playoffs)

Trying to earn minutes (ideally need 2 of them to be rotation worthy/capable if no more moves are made)
    Gerald Green - G/F
    Ben McLemore - G/F (I hope he can take Green's place in the pecking order as Green just can not cover anyone)
    Gary Clark - F (the only consistent defender)
    Anthony Bennett - F/C (If he can hit the 3 ball with consistency and finish at the rim, could be perfect backup 4/5 for this team)
    Terrence Jones - F/C
    Hartenstein - C (the forgotten man, could be a + coming off the bench with his energy/hustle for 10-15 min a night especially when TC sits)

Obviously a lot of "fingers crossed" but I am hoping Morey has a good idea of who will be a good fit and be able to earn minutes/coach's trust as the season progresses.

saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  2. Remlap

Remlap Member

Clint for LOVE?
    You'd better be talking about a romance here

[​IMG]

IBTL, Reeko, Manos and 2 others like this.
  3. riko

riko Member

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Is Kelly Iko Morey's nephew, or is there seriously an NBA writer who doesn't hate the Houston Rockets as a hobby?

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

BigBum suggesting that we trade Capela. What a shocker. :rolleyes:

D-rock likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rather have Faried over Terrence Jones.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

They must be really seeing something nice during practice sessions. I honestly wouldn't mind picking up Jerebko, Sefolosha, or Amir Johnson personally.

MrSabotage likes this.
  8. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Yes, agreed. Sounds like bridge has burned on that already.

D-rock likes this.
  9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I for one have never liked JJ and AJ? Stick a fork in him, he is toast. Was a good player, rotation contributor (and the one I always compared TJ to as having that upside). Sefo I just dunno.

But, folks, are we the gullible fan-public to believe every word sprouted from 'inside TheToyShop'??? I mean, c'mon.

IMO - - the good folks in the most hallowed of halls inside TheToyShop are waiting to pounce on some 'unexpected' (at least by we the gullible fan-public) fruit on an unknown branch (far, far away in another...).

BTW - - whatever happened to the Int'l player supposedly to have been airmailed to TheToyShop (from latter spring IIRC)???

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Never say never.

Faried is not only better than TJones but he is insurance if either Clint or Tyson need rest for whatever reason.

Cannot rely on Bennett yet, still needs to make the team first.

kevtse likes this.
  11. chenjy9

Supporting Member

• Jonas Jerebko is a legit big if he can come back from injury
    • You said Amir Johnson is a "good player, rotation contributor"... isn't that exactly what we are looking for?!?
    • Thabo Sefolosha is a player with a nice 3pt shot that can switch on D, which again what we want

MrSabotage and ilias like this.
  12. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Faried would be nice, but it doesn't look like he wants to come back. Sounded like him and MDA didn't see eye to eye and it wasn't due to the height difference.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree.

But Rockets' system is perfect offensively for Faried and MDA is still one of the most positive and well liked coaches. If Mike and Melo could mend fences, then fixing things with Manimal is a cinch.

And Morey can sell ice to Eskimos.

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting perspective. Sounds like things could really be heating up.

Williamson likes this.
  15. rockets13champs

Morey is a bargain buyer. He likes buying things under value and selling things over value. If u don’t know by now u ain’t with the program.

J Sizzle likes this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Very puzzling.

Anthony Bennett, Gerald Green, Gary Clark, Ben McLemore and Terrence Jones...
    Of those FIVE players it's probably an against the odds bet to think DAntoni is comfortable playing ONE of them full rotation minutes in the playoffs.

Tyson Chandler I like, but odds are not in his favor to be healthy the full season.

Danuel House is a total wildcard.

I'm pretty surprised at their satisfaction level.

17. Nook

Nook Member

What else is Daryl going to say? "Well I only have permission to add players that make the minimum and these are the best I could get."

The Rockets manipulating local media is nothing new.... from EVERYONE was immediately on board to get Westbrook and we WON this awesome bidding war, to the idea that the Rockets will go into the tax....... for the right player.

Actions speak loudest for the Rockets ownership and front office.

Gray_Jay, GermanRoxFan, Deuce and 6 others like this.
  18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For consumption... to help leverage a deal.

19. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

luckyman76, vick and J Sizzle like this.
  20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You really think this is what we're gonna roll with?