1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keep schools closed until a Vaccine is ready!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaDakota, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They are for working with a mask. Typically you don't filter your exhale because for OSHA reasons it doesn't matter.

I don't think N95 masks are at a shortage or a real issue anymore.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

About 50 years ago, I had a few classes outdoors on campus when the weather was mild, but they were small graduate level classes on subjects like urban history. More discussion with a notepad than anything else. @FranchiseBlade’s reply to you gave some excellent reasons why it would be very difficult to do, @tinman, certainly for 4-5 months out of the year in Texas simply because of the weather.

Colleges and universities are being very hard hit by this virus and the necessary response. I was reading today that some of the smaller public and private institutions may not survive this if the virus isn’t largely defeated soon with a vaccine. Education at all levels is really up against it and some creative minds are going to have to keep things going somehow until the pandemic is beaten down. That hasn’t happened yet. Instead, it has gotten worse due to poor leadership at the highest levels of state and federal government.

I have to say that I enjoyed those outdoor classes, however. One of my profs was very liberal, more liberal than the university would allow, had they known. We dated the same girl for a while and the three of us enjoyed leaning up against an old oak tree from time to time away from the buildings, lighting up one of those cigarettes you roll yourself. Not during his class, of course. It was an interesting time.

Try to forgive some reminiscing. It’s a battle against cabin fever and boredom!

Nook and tinman like this.
  3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

corona is also not raging out of control in europe.

Nook, malakas and mdrowe00 like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Given tomorrow can be worse than yesterday, one person is basically arguing that. Trump demanding school must open up or he defund the school is making no exception for what the fall looks like.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe in Texas but not after mid October in Minnesota. Also what do you do when it rains?

I know the University of Minnesota is looking at a model for starting with in person classes and then switching to online at Thanksgiving with the flexibility of switching to online if things get bad anytime during the semester. I'm wondering if this could be a model for primary schools.

tinman likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nobody has to sit 4 hours on a laptop zoom and I am a actual teacher myself.

How do you know January will be any better?

There are ways to do in person and zoom.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I know I defend Trump on some things so I understand people thinking I am arguing from a Trump perspective but I have not defended Trump on his virus response

That being said I think some people have been overly cautious in their expectations

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How much idiotic stuff can one person post in a single thread.

School is a very controlled environment, since when?

9. Nook

Nook Member

This is the model they are working on in Illinois...... the desire is to make a quick and clean transition.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Controlled as opposed to a shopping mall or bar

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah there is a badge battle everyday in every classroom and Kids will love arguing about the need to wear a mask even if there parents are anti mask because kids just like to argue.

I can't imagine how disruptive that will be on a daily basis, what do we do with kids who refuse to wear mask.

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

N95s are still short and all of PPE is getting scarce again because of the rapid increase of cases.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You can't even get kids to wear badges at all times or get to class on time or stay in their seats, it's clear that you have no dea of what actually happens in school.

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

saying something is more controlled than a bar is pretty low hanging fruit. people running around drunk with no masks or social distancing as if they are like CHILDREN.

teachers have difficulty controlling their classes in the best of times. throwing together a half-assed plan in a few weeks is going to end up as a disaster just like every other measure the US has taken to combat the virus.

everything the US has tried to do is too little, too late with finger pointing and shock when it doesn't work

if one kid gets it they are going to need to quarantine whole classes and sanitize everywhere. this is not sustainable. eventually the whole school will be quarantined.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Controlled as in rules. If the kids don't don't want to wear masks have security kick them out.

If there is an expense to increase, let it it be security. Hopefully their parents will be able to help after getting tired of them being sent home

@jiggyfly

For the both of you the reason I said bars in particular is because the recent surge followed opening bars

16. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

while you might not support trumps approach on some things, you communicate like him in that you frequently make assertions that have no basis in fact, reason or reality....and then get irritated when people point it out, much like trump himself

Reeko likes this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What did say not based in fact?
    All I said was masks and six feet and Europe

Here is a fact. You apparently need a life trying to create something with me to argue about

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What happens to the kids that are kicked out?

They still have to be taught and it's usually on another campus.

It's becoming very clear that you have no idea of how schools actually work its not so simple to just kick kids out of school especially if they are SPED.

I don't even want to talk about parents "helping out":rolleyes:

fallenphoenix likes this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

20. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

well Fort Bend ISD just made OP's dream come true