1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keep schools closed until a Vaccine is ready!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaDakota, Jul 13, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I understand it's not a all in one . I'm not really arguing about Trump

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This should be interesting.

What are you arguing?

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That kids have to start back at school. That it's worked other places.
    Exactly what I said. You started on Trump

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who is saying that kids should not start back school and you were the saying we could do social distancing in schools.

Which made no sense.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

One question for y'all that are well read.

At what point does time erase all safe guards? I mean, if I am in a classroom with an infected person for up to 7 hours a day, does it matter that I am always six feet away from that person with a mask on?

pgabriel likes this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This isn't Germany, this isn't Europe. We are at the peak of our crisis today and will be tomorrow, and the day after, and the week after.

We aren't locking down, our cases are exponentially growing. This is the equivalent for cheering on Italy to open its schools during the heat of its pandemic.

arkoe likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Which isn't what I was recommending. But unfortunately, I think there will be some time between what is happening now and the point in time when a vaccine will be widely available. Most likely cannot keep children locked up at home for that long.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  8. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

If you would like to submit a proposal to our school district with ways to make that happen without adding staff or having to build new facilities then by all means please do. If there is no vaccine, you can't social distance 30 students in a classroom. You can keep repeating your point but it doesn't make it factual or any more realistic.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Start with the older kids using all the campuses of the primary kids

10. JumpMan

It's going to be interesting to see the amount of parents that keep their students home. I'm not sure at what point it will make an appreciable difference to the amount of space opened up to better social distance. I would think anywhere from 30 to 50 percent of students would have to stay home in order for all class sizes to be around 15.

Corrosion likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I agree it's a terrible situation but it's exactly what we get for handling this the way we did. We choose to act like idiots and now we have to debate sending our kids to school during the peak of our crisis. We 100% could be in the same boat as the EU right now if we would have handled this virus the same, but since we didn't we can't compare their progress of re-opening to ours.

jiggyfly, arkoe, BmwM3 and 1 other person like this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have no idea how much space is available. Also where are the schools going to get the budgets to hire the extra staff needed fo that? The govt. Won't even pay for regular testing. How are the schools going to be able to hire certified teachers based their budgets?

13. JumpMan

It's all going to depend on the amount of students that stay home.

From conversations I've had and heard about, more than half of parents are saying they're planning on keeping them home. We'll see if they actually go through with it when it comes time to make that decision. From what I have heard, those decisions have to be final cause districts don't want to have to adjust if parents change their mind. It's going to be a mess. Oof.

jiggyfly and pgabriel like this.
  14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There are ways to get around space. You can stagger school times. It doesn't have to be five days. However some of these kids need to be in front of teachers

15. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

No, that's not a realistic option. You need to have your elementary, intermediate and high school students all in school 5 days a week according to TEA. One of 2 things can happen. The CDC can compromise safety, give into political pressure, and lower the social distancing standards for schools, thus eliminating the 6 foot rule. Or you implement a hybrid model (The Common Sense Model) that allows students on campus twice a week while logging into their classes virtually the other 3 days. My district bought every student from elementary to high school their own ipad and is providing hot spots to any students that need it.

And staggered school times do not work when you have 80% of your students being transported on buses. I'm on a committee that has looked into all these options. It's not feasible. Sorry

jiggyfly, BmwM3, Andre0087 and 2 others like this.
  16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

They are not in the middle of geometric growth in cases and have the situation much more under control.

DaDakota and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Which is difficult since students aren't getting equal education and access to materials and opportunities.

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

That doesn't address the the need for staff to also spread out and teach the distant kids. Also the distancing needed at lunch, restroom breaks, etc

19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Actually you would need to do the opposite. Based on the data the younger kids have a much smaller chance of getting the virus and passing it on than the older kids.

From what I have read, the other countries started with elementary kids when they opened schools. They kept the older ones at home.

pgabriel likes this.
  20. JumpMan

True.

Parents who decide to keep their children home will sacrifice learning - and paychecks - for safety. I believe the distance learning will be a lot better this time.

FranchiseBlade likes this.