1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keep schools closed until a Vaccine is ready!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaDakota, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It is a tough nut to crack. My experience is with high school level, but I can see how it is even more difficult for younger students.

So, are the districts running the online classes and the in-person classes totally separately? Like the students who are at home won't be expect to join the class via Zoom with the in person students?

2. Carl Herrera

This would make more sense to me. One of the logistics issues is what if a (typically smaller) school has only one teacher for a specific subject (like AP Stats).

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

oh
    What about this school?

@Os Trigonum @Ziggy @Reeko @RayRay10

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Opening schools safely as soon as practicable was and is a good idea

Until ****ing idiot Trump and Devos got involved. Then it became as popular as a bag of Coronavirus mixed with Ebola.

Not only are they both so toxic they undermined popular support, they're both so incompetent it became clear after 1 second they had no ****ing plan at all to do this other than Twitter all caps and some awful terrible Sunday morning interviews.

And these ****ers will go back to their mansions in January and millions of kids and parents will permanently pay the price for the rest of their lives.

**** them and **** people like Post Trigbasspn who voted for them and continue bro support them. You should be ashamed of yourselves. This was not the lesser of two evils, this is malignancy.

jiggyfly and DaDakota like this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

#205 pgabriel, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tinman likes this.
  7. Carl Herrera

I read that there was a literal 20% shift in poll #s against school opening right after Trump gets involved. Partly it is because Trump is unpopular, partly it is because his "plan" is so stupid and it makes people doubt how safe schools would be.

SamFisher likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

It’s sort of an elementary school for older kids

9. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I’m now wondering if Trumps preemptive insistence that schools open for in person learning was an attempt to avoid the backlash for the inevitable announcements that in person wasn’t possible where covid is raging. If so, I don’t see it working. I know a lot of Houston area parents who are furious about HISD and FBISB starting late and on line. The anger is not directed at the school district, because the sentiment is that this is the right decision. The anger is we are here, months into Covid, and it’s raging so bad we cannot open up schools for in person learning.

I’d like to know if anyone here is pissed at HISD or FBISD for making this decision.

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

If only the kids in K-5 could behave like that.:)

11. SamFisher

I read the same but then I saw that Barre Vice resigned along with Dru Hillman College and immediately - I lost the thread.

12. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

I think many of us is missing 1 critical aspect of education....Teachers.

How many teachers do we have to go through to make sure students can get proper education.

If a teacher gets sick, then he/she would need to stay home for 14 days, then they need another teacher to fill that class. What happens if this is a re-occurring issue with the teacher or worse yet the teacher passes away because (age, health, etc).

This doesn't even account for Teachers who may not want to teach.

Parents should realize 1 teacher, has 20x more chance of getting the virus because each kid has 2 parents, who both work, who both may interact with 100's of people a day.

It's not like we have unlimited teachers standing by...

13. SamFisher

The Penultimate Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, succeeded for 2016 by John King, prior to the abolition of the office by Acting Secretary Elizabeth Dee Prince-DeVos

Even then, there’s still the matter of testing capacity. If you’re looking at a district that’s trying to be as open as possible, what would you consider to be an adequate testing plan?

Well, one, it’s not just testing, it’s reliable testing, accurate testing. And then it’s getting the results back very quickly: 24, 48 hours, tops. And where you’re seeing now a backlog, where it’s taking six days, eight days, ten days, well, what’s the point of even getting that test back? Because then you have to contact trace. And then you have to isolate. People like the sound bite about tests, but if you’re just testing and those tests aren’t reliable, or you’re not doing anything about the results, or the results come back a week later, then it’s almost useless. You have to have all of these pieces working well together.

That’s what’s so heartbreaking to me, why I’m so furious. This is not rocket science, but there’s a real discipline to it that other countries have been relentless on, and we have acted like it was optional. Had we done what we should have done in March and April and May, you and I wouldn’t even be talking right now. We’d just be opening schools, and it would be a nonissue. The fact that we’ve had such horrific leadership with such disregard for science is why we’re having this debate.

It’s embarrassing now — I was naïve. I pushed very hard in April and May to have summer schools starting now, in July, to help kids catch up. I honestly thought that was going to be possible. My thinking was that it didn’t have to be mandatory, but we could bring kids back, bring teachers back, let parents get back to work. You’ve got this “COVID slide” — we know about the “summer slide” — so let’s get ahead of it. Forget the school-calendar year; why even wait for the fall? Clearly, that was not even close to possible.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/202...haky-plan-for-reopening-american-schools.html

14. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

On the vaccine front, at the Senate COVID hearings, when asked how long it takes to develop a safe vaccine Fauci answered 7 years and that the fastest one ever made was Zika (year and half) but by then wasn’t needed because Zika faded away. I’m all for everyone being safe etc. (My family has maintained masks And all precautions) but I don’t feel great about trotting my kids out first for a new vaccine developed this quickly either. Fauci even just said this month he considered a vaccine to be “finite” in its benefits at this point and may end up being taken numerous times for “boosts”. It’s a tough situation for all of us
    no doubt but doesn’t appear (so far) that the vaccine will be a cure all like some are betting on.

FrontRunner likes this.
  15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

This is just sad

Texas Teachers Writing Their Wills as State Promises to Open Schools in Fall+
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/texas-teachers-writing-their-wills-state-promises-open-schools-fall-1517493?amp=1

Teachers are so worried about returning to school that they're preparing wills
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...ronavirus-teachers-preparing-wills/index.html

T_Man

#215 T_Man, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member