1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keep Kubiak/fire Marciano/draft defense heavy

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tmacfor35, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think he'll be back - but I'd fire him. I've said it before, I'll say it again (and again...) - IMO, they've been a playoff contender since 2009. Five seasons - and he's had as many losing seasons (2, assuming they don't finish 6-2 this year) as playoff seasons. That's unacceptable.

Keenum's play, assuming it stays above expectations, combined with the health concerns almost guarantee he's not going anywhere. If that's the case, fire Smith and bring in a non-pipeline GM to restructure this roster. And, frankly, it'd be great if Wade retired and they could go out and upgrade on that side of the ball. (I wouldn't mind them jettisoning Dennison, either; again, bring in non-pipeline minds to augment what I still think is a widly productive offensive system.)

2. Nook

Nook Member

No, we need someone that understands that the NFL is now a very complicated, result driven league. A coach that understands that the league is constantly evolving and play calling and innovation is key.

Kubiak IS a tough guy. He is a very good man, a role model and loyal to his players... would be one hell of a football coach 25 years ago... unfortunately it isn't about teaching or being a role model.

Look at coaches like McCarthy, Belichick, Payton and Harbaugh all understand that the game is evolving and the coach better do so as well. Further, all these guys are not exactly perfect role models.

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

I have no doubt kubs is a good guy and he may wind up on a team as an offensive coordinator and adjust his way of thinking a little and be great, Del Rio fits the bill as head coach not off co/playcaller, Kubiak is just in over his head and mcnair didnt do him any favors by not taking a load off coming into this season.

4. buckaroo

buckaroo Contributing Member

To be fair to kubiak, any team with this set of injuries, would probably have a similar record. though qb is a net postive:)

starting qb (pro bowl)
    starting rb (pro bowl)
    backup rb
    starting te (pro bowl)
    starting lb (pro bowl)
    starting wr (pro bowl)
    start lt (pro bowl)
    starting s (pro bowl)

That being said, decent special teams play would have netted at least a couple more wins.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

What should the Texans do:
    1. Cut Schaub and eat the 10 mil hit for next year
    2. Thank Ben Tate for his services and wish him the best. Let Antonio Smith go and thank him for his services.

3. Consider a draft day trade for picks
    a. Owen Daniels: We all know that Kubiak can find servicable TE's. I think the Texans should look to either part ways with OD or trade him for a 3rd (unlikely) or 4th round pick(likely...team like Atlanta)

4. Lock up JJ Watt and Kareem Jackson.
    5. Fire Joe Marciano at the end of the season. Cut Ed Reed. Cut Daniel Manning. Cut Randy Bullock. Cut McCain
    6. Move Kareem Jackson to SS or FS, and pair him up with Swearinger. Down grade JJoe to the #2 CB and find a free Agent CB(ie DRC - may be too expensive; or DeAngelo Hall - 2 to 3 year deal for like 8 mil)

7. Draft order:
    a. 1st round - draft best available Defensive player or trade down to get more 2nd round picks - ILB
    b. 2nd round: draft a QB - have to have competition
    c. 3rd round: draft a big NT/DT
    d. 4th round: draft a RB or big TE
    e. 5th round: OLine
    f. 6th round: a DB
    g. 7th round: OLB
    h. extra pick for Owen Daniels(4th - get a linebacker)

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Kubiak may not be as much of the problem as we thought. Perhaps he is in the sense that his loyalties get in the way of his judgement personnel wise. Special teams have to be revamped from the top down. The defense needs a serious overhaul. I thought we were set in the secondary; we are not. Actually, I agree that it would be nice if Wade retired. We need a fresh face there. Perhaps a new OC too. Talent wise we are not where I thought we were. Did the loss of Manning and Cushing affect us that much? Apparently yes. I think the Colts are more elite than most of us think, and we really beat them up for a half. That's something.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You don't need elite db's to have an elite defense.

It's all about the guys in the box. The biggest hole in our team is LB/slot cover and nose tackle.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

we have an elite level player in the box and average "assistants"...but the reason why we are losing to elite level QBs is primarily, bc they picked apart our secondary...Wade Philips defenses are built to allow single coverage on the outside, primarily bc of the activity and blitzes he set up inside. But if you have an accurate QB in the middle, and allow him to sit and pick apart the secondary, you negate any sort of pass rush. That is what happened in the second half.

The Keys for a successful Wade Philips defense:
    1. playing with a lead. It allows him to be more exotic on his blitzes...
    2. tight man coverage on the outside.

Having elite level speed and coverage allows for the DC to send an extra guy on blitzes that often go uncovered. When JJoe was playing elite ball, recall how many times we had an unblocked pass rusher hit home...

In the first half of yesterday's game, the Texans got by b/c the pass rush got home, and we played with a lead... the colts receivers were dropping passes left and right. If we actually had elite level secondary coverage, the Texans would prevent such completions and forces the offense into more check downs. This is what enables the Texans zone coverage to be effective. I think Wade's defense is a good defense, and it has its weaknesses...but its totally predicated on having terrific secondary play, and timely LB/secondary blitzes...

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wade's defense still needs above average LB play more than above average DB play.

Hell, with the NFL rules now, you won't ever see true shut-down corners dominate entire games. The key is still all about getting to the QB. When the Texans defense doesn't do that, they're vulnerable.

10. spankyou

spankyou Member

News report: Texans kicker Randy bullock tried to hang himself but was unable to kick the chair from underneath him.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

12. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

you stole this from another thread.. ugh, nice try :confused:

13. spankyou

spankyou Member

I did? Awww. I first saw it on FB lol. Didn't know someone beat me to it already. I had a great laugh.

14. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I would keep Kubiak ... as an Offensive Coordinator.
    We need a new coach, guys, let's face it.

15. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I'd say why couldn't he, if a giant like Mario Williams can succede why can't Clowney and Clowney is much more talented and a better prospect than Williams coming out of School.

That or Anthony Barr would also fit our system as a 3/4 who has the the ability to stay in coverage with TEs with speed. He'd compliment Watt and Cushing very well.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't think Kubiak will be back next season. I think he'll take time off to "re-evaluate his health", etc. Ala Urban Meyer a few years back. And he should. I really like Kubiak, the man. As a coach, I still like him, but I think it may be beneficial for both parties to part ways.

I'd love to see Kevin Sumlin brought in. I'd even be up for keeping Wade as a mentor. I think it'd work perfectly.

I'm iffy on Rick Smith.

And I still think Khalil Mack is perfect for this team.

#96 Two Sandwiches, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  17. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

To be honest I haven't seen much tape on Mack, but from what it sounds if we go 8-8 or something and are out of reach from Anthony Barr i'd be all over it.

The thing about Pass rushing is that you can never have enough.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I honestly think we're going to be way out of reach for those top guys, and that's why I think Mack would be a good fit. I'm not going to lie, he reminds me a little of a Demarcus Ware. Small school, small conference, huge playmaker, about the same size. Supposedly was clocked at a 4.5 40 a few weeks ago, which is what Ware ran. Mack is good in pass coverage, too, and moves around a lot in their defense, something that I'm sure Wade would love. He's got 3 interceptions this year, including two pick sixes.

19. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Why does he deserves it, for 7 years as a head coach, his record is 61-59, he is terrible playcaller, stubborn HC when it comes to addressing problems, one of the worst in the NFL when it comes to clock management, and how do you know that the players love playing for him...?

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I've been lucky enough to be around Sharpton/Whitney Merc a few times and they absolutely love the guy. They both mentioned how the guy breathes football and is genuinely a great human being. It's also not hard to see how hard they play. So please.

And play calling has never been a problem. It has been Matt Schaub unwilling to throw past the down marker. Db's jump routes when your not throwing the ball down field.

End of the day, it's the players that have to perform.