1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

keep 'em coming

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by wrath_of_khan, May 2, 2001.

1. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2001/0502/1190298.html

St. John's preparing for Cook's early departure

By Andy Katz
    ESPN.com

TEMPE, Ariz. – St. John's freshman Omar Cook, Kentucky sophomore Keith Bogans and junior Tayshaun Prince, Fresno State freshman Tito Maddox and North Carolina sophomore Joseph Forte all are expected to declare for the NBA draft before the May 13 deadline, sources within the league and close to each player told ESPN.com.

Sources close to Cook said he would make an announcement soon and the Red Storm coaching staff is already prepared for him to leave. The signing of Tallahassee (Fla.) Community College guard Marcus Hatten has put them at ease over Cook's pending departure. Cook met with the coaching staff within the last week but didn't disclose his plans.

Sources close to Bogans and Prince said they would declare, possibly next week once school is over. It's not clear if they will hold a joint news conference, but sources close to the Kentucky coaching staff said the Wildcats are aware that they will test the draft process. They don't expect either player to stay in the draft. Underclassmen have until June 20 to withdraw their names from the draft.

Maddox is expected to meet with the Fresno State coaching staff and tell them he would declare. Representatives with Franchise Sports America, a sports agency out of Las Vegas, said he would declare, too.

Sources close to Forte said he's waiting until school is over next week before meeting with former North Carolina coaches Dean Smith and Bill Guthridge and present North Carolina coach Matt Doherty to make a final decision. But the North Carolina coaching staff is expecting Forte to test the draft process and wouldn't be surprised if he leaves.

Three more players, all because of eligibility concerns, are also expected to officially declare, sources said. Candidates interviewing for the George Washington search have been told sophomore SirValiant Brown won't return to the team and will declare for the draft. Rhode Island coach Jim Baron has said sophomore guard Zach Marbury intends on doing the same. Meanwhile, Compton Centennial (Calif.) High School center Tony Key will declare as well.

Representatives with Franchise Sports America brought Key to the Phoenix area for NBA personnel to watch Key workout while they attend the Nike Desert Classic draft camp at Arizona State. Key would be a record fifth high school senior to declare for the draft.

As a Rockets fan, I would very much like to see Forte come out. He could go early enough to move some of our targets (Jefferson, etc.) to the mid or late first round. Perhaps Tayshaun Prince as well.

------------------

2. Live

Live Member

OK, it's getting kind of ridiculous now, how many HSers are going to come out this year?!

Is there going to be a college Bball season next year with all these players leaving early?

Hell, I think I'm going to forego my eligibility and declare for the draft!

Anyone want to join me?

------------------

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm getting the feeling that the NBA will do something very soon (in a year or two) about curtailing the number of HSers coming out. They liked it when it was just the cream of the crop coming, but there's so many now, they're going to cap it.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Do you think it will be possible legally?

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Oh I know for sure now after this years draft that they will change rules. Too many High Schoolers coming in the draft.

Should we give one of them a shot with one of the picks? Sure its a project but they can turn to something.

How about going after some Euro player, after last nights dirk diggler performance, I WANT A EURO PLAyer!.

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cook, stock wise is probably making an OK choice. With the two Williams (Frank and Jason) both staying, the only upper tier PG is Tinsley, coming off the loss to Hampton. Cook joins Satterfield as the #2/#3 PGs, and those 3 are probably the only 3 that will go top 25.

I haven't heard anything about this Tony Key fellow...2nd rounder, possibly undrafted.

I like Tayshaun Prince, I think he has over a 7'0'' wingspan, his arms are LONG, and he's tall (6'9''). Maybe a Donny Marshall type?

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

7. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"I like Tayshaun Prince, I think he has over a 7'0'' wingspan, his arms are LONG, and he's tall (6'9''). Maybe a Donny Marshall type?"

Bad comparison. Donyell was a low post presence in college, playing exclusively on the front line. Tayshaun has to weigh less than 200 lbs at his 6'9" height. Terrific ball handler for his size. Has the ugliest shot in the world, but he makes them. Great athleticism. But he's strictly a perimeter player as oppose to Marshall who was an All-American because of his board work and his inside-outside versatility.

------------------

8. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Speaking of wing spans, did any of you know Cuttino has a 7'1 wing span? I was shocked when I read about it.

------------------

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Da Man-Look at in the NBA now. Prince isn't the quickest of guys (not by any means), but like Marshall uses his size to rebound and shoot over his match-up, the SF. Marshall now stays on the perimeter a lot (because Malone controls the post). Prince, IMO, weighs more than T. Morris, who's about 205.

The Donny Marshall out of college was supposed to be a superstar (for Golden State?), but was more or less a bust till now. His game has adapted to mainly roaming the perimeter and exploiting his size, which is what Prince can do to be effective in the NBA.

tpl-I doubt that, his arms can't be that long.

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

10. Hydra

Hydra Member

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Actually, Donyell had a brother named Donny, and he sucked.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

12. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I don't think they were brothers...they just had the same last names (and similar first ones) and both went to UConn....but yeah, either way, Donny sucked...he was still around in the CBA and I'd guess he's with IBL now.

------------------
    P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

13. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

If you are looking for a comparison for Tayshaun Prince then look no further than Scottie Pippen in his earlier days. Being a huge UK fan I have seen alot of his game. He is a point forward, obviously good ball handeling skills, quirky but effective outside shot, and a very nice hook shot that allows for an effective college post game. He won't post up in the NBA until he bulks up. Its all for not though because he will end up undeclaring for the draft.

------------------

14. verse

verse Contributing Member

tayshaun needs to meet joe weder.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Companies won't hire w/out degrees. So why can't the NBA?

------------------
    Im too drunk to walk ... Im driving home!

16. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Not necessarily true. Some companies do. I think the NBA should be able to do whatever it wants. They are a private company. But what kind of degree for an aspiring NBA player ? Businessmen get business degrees (generally), computer science gets CS degrees.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

17. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I don't think the legality argument pops up when talking about degrees or schooling or anything like that...where it comes up is the right to work issue--where if someone is 18 and qualified to do something then there is no reason why he shouldn't be able to do it...and in terms of that, if teams were to agree not to take in high school players, wouldn't that be a form of collusion? That's what I always thought the sticking point was, but I could very well be wrong.

------------------
    P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If it became "illegal" for high school players to declare for the draft, would there be any way to stop teams signing them to a minimum contract for a year?

Surely if someone wants to play basketball at the highest level, and if they are good enough to play at that level, then let them play! I couldn't care less if the college game suffers because all the best players jump straight to the NBA. Makes sense to me. Whether their game would benefit from 4 years in college as opposed to 4 years in the NBA is highly debatable anyway!

------------------

19. junglerules

junglerules Member

I think the bottom line is that if the NBA wants to do something about it, they'll find a way. David Stern is a smart man. I think there are so many "arbitrary" rules in society that it wouldn't be too difficult to come with something that keeps HSers from entering the draft. I mean, you have to be a certain age to vote, to drink, to rent a car, to WORK in certain environments....I don't see why the NBA couldn't address the issue from a perspective of optimal maturity like many of these other rules or laws. In addition, though it might appear quite collusive, couldn't the NBA as a business decide all of a sudden that it requires a certain amount of basketball experience, (i.e. college ball) similar to ways businesses require degrees or internship experience? Just a thought....I think it'll happen within the next 3 or 4 years....

------------------
    "I think what I'm supposed to say is, 'I'm out.'"

20. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Bogans and Prince have officialy declared.

------------------