1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keep Calm & Carry On. The Rockets don't need a PG upgrade right now...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hooroo, Jul 5, 2015.

1. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

We did have a successful season. We did accomplish a lot with the injuries that we accumulated last season. We did go the WCF and were competitive for most of the series. However, OKC wasn't healthy. San Antonio just got better. Golden State brought everyone back to defend their title. Many people think that Dallas got better too. The west is going to be tough next year and we brought two pieces back from last year. Yet we still haven't addressed the issue of adding playmakers to our roster. Our star player has even stated that he would like help at the gaurd position. We haven't addressed it and I really hope we do before the trade deadline. Being patient panned out last, but it won't always work that way. We do need help at the PG

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I understand the point but I do think they need a real PG IMO. Asking Harden to play like superman every game in the long run won't work. James Harden and Josh Smith are basically their only two play makers but the problem with that is neither player truly values every possession with their nonchalant bounce passes between 2 or 3 defenders during crucial possessions. Harden would have several 50pt games with someone feeding him the ball at times on back cuts ect. They aren't real contenders IMO until they get a real PG who can make Curry, Parker and Paul ect play some defense. I love the resigning of Beverly but they need more at that position. At least the rockets have a lot of time from now until the trade deadline to address it thank god.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

"I just don't like the idea of settling for mediocrity. I don't mean with the Rockets themselves. They're a terrific team."

Apparently you didn't read my post(or understand it). I used the word "mediocrity", but I was quite clear I wasn't referring to the Rockets as a team. Just certain areas of concern. I don't care how big a fan you are, you cannot deny that turnovers are a problem. And I don't just mean James Harden in Game 5 vs the Warriors. Turnovers cost us Game 1 vs the Clippers. They cost us down the stretch in Games 1 and 2 vs the Warriors(including the final play of Game 2). And they were an issue all throughout the regular season. It's a big reason we constantly had to fight tooth and nail for some of those 56 wins instead of being able to rest our starters in the 4th quarter.

And that's just one problem. There are many other areas(such as 3-point shooting) where the Rockets are again mediocre. And they're even worse when it comes to free throw shooting. We agree that the Rockets need help at the PG spot and I agree with you that Morey has time to address it. But I disagree with anyone who thinks this can be put off til the trade deadline next season. If anything, Morey seems more inclined to deal away a point guard(Brooks, Canaan) after the All-Star Break than to acquire one. They need to have their guy on the roster by the time training camp opens.

4. Airdough

Airdough Member

Regardless of the timing, roster improvements are needed. If you aren't addressing your weaknesses then you are going backwards, especially in this conference with multiple title contenders (at least on paper for now). The Rockets outplayed their point differential last season and that kind of luck doesn't usually translate year to year.

If no other moves were made other than bringing back our remaining free agents, the Rockets would be expecting multiple leaps in output from their contributors not named Harden/Howard/Ariza while not experiencing regression or further injury issues. I seriously doubt Morey is going to ride into the season with the current roster and will tweak now and then again at the deadline as needed.

The trade market right now is just developing given the moratorium is still in effect and Summer League hasn't kicked off yet. The Rockets accumulated a couple of intriguing prospects for Summer League and versus make a deal now, Morey is betting on a few of these players to flash potential to see what kind of depth he has to pull off deals before training camp. This is how the Rockets acquired Artest for peanuts and Morey is likely looking for a similar deal and one in which only injuries prevented that team from going for a title.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Playoff leaders in TOs

Harden
    Lebron
    Curry

Newsflash. Your best play makers control the ball more than anyone on the team. The more you control the ball the more turnovers you will inevitably have. This isn't a Harden problem it's an inevitability with having the ball that much. The last game was an extreme outlier. He needs some playmaking help, but it doesn't have to be a PG.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The West is always tough.

I think SAS got better but we don't even know what their roster is going to look like yet. We know their starting roster is going to be damn good when all is healthy and fairly rested. We know nothing about their bench yet. Tim Duncan has only averaged 30 minutes a game once in the last 5 seasons and that was just barely 30 minutes. How about this season? I'm wait and see on the Spurs being better.

OKC will be better but how much better? New coach, KD coming off of injury and the team was really bad when trying to get into the play-offs last season. Kanter is really good on the offensive end but just as bad on the defensive end. No great wing defender. They should be a play-off team but I'm still curious to see if they are actually elite.

LAC has gotten worse.

Dallas is better but only marginally IMO.

NOP might be scary if AD's defense lives up to the hype. He's a great shot blocker but teams scored at will on the Pelicans in the post even with AD blocking so many shots.

Time will tell and none in the media will give the Rockets any credit for being really good, they never do. But until i see what other teams look like on the court, the Rockets are the clear cut 2nd best team in the West. Some internal growth from the right players or the right addition between now and the play-offs could push them over the top IMO. A full season of health would also be great.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'm fine with being patient and waiting until the trade deadline just so long as one condition is met: James Harden is okay with this approach also.

He's asked for help and we all know this is a league of divas. Keeping your superstars happy is part of the equation.

8. count_dough-ku

It's not just about Harden. Yes, Game 5 was an anomaly, but it's also one that cost us the season. And there were plenty of other games where the team's turnovers cost us. I already cited them in an earlier post. Game 1 against the Clippers would've been an easy win had the Rockets taken care of the damn ball. Games 1 and 2 vs the Warriors were also lost in large part due to turnovers. When you have guys who aren't playmakers trying to make plays, the result will not be good.

9. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

Curry also has Thompson, Green, and company to take the pressure when the defense is forcing the issue. Lebron has Kyrie, Love, Shumpert, and had JR smith to make plays when the defense is forcing the issue. How many guys do the Rockets have that actually handle the ball effieciently? We don't have many guys that can create offense. When the defense shuts Harden down our offense becomes sluggish and inefficient. We don't have the play-makers or the facilitators compared to the other elite teams. We need more facilitators otherwise we are in the same position we were in last year.

10. crash5179

So why exactly do you think this can't be addressed at the trade deadline? The Rockets are an elite team as is. They are not going to suddenly start losing more than they win. If healthy, the team goes into 2015/2016 season better than they were at the end of last season.

11. hakeemthagreat

This simplistic POV is a scapegoat for James Harden. Yes primary ball handlers turn the ball over. But Harden's turnovers are mostly unforced and when nobody's guarding him, or because hes doing that stupid no look pocket pass. It's a very concerning problem. He looks very uninterested at times where he should be aggressive. Yes he's very talented. But I've never seen a superstar look so lost at times.

12. count_dough-ku

They could easily lose more than they win. They went 3-1 against the Mavs who have improved from last season. They went 3-0 against the Thunder who will be way better. They swept the Kings. They'll be better. They swept the T'Wolves. They'll be better. You get the idea.

As for the trade deadline, I'm not saying Morey can't land a PG then. But I think it's a terrible idea to let it drag on that long. First of all, the team will have already played 2/3 of the season by late February. I'd rather have a quality backup or starting PG for 82 games rather than 30(if that). Second, what happens if we wind up with nothing? Morey knew this team needed a PG and 2nd playmaker all season long last year. He made it a priority to get one by the trade deadline. Plenty of PGs were dealt at the deadline. And the Rockets wound up with Pepperoni.

13. jogo

jogo Member

I wish we were the clear cut 2nd best team but that's a tough one to swallow. Obvi GSW is #1. Even my hatred of SAS can't stop me from thinking they are at least #2. Remember they almost got the #2 seed last year. Yes, we had injuries but now they also have Aldridge. I suspect they will play possum for much of the year and then swoop in for the #1 or #2 seed at the playoffs (with their older players well rested).

OKC we don't know. Dallas is better, how much we'll have to see. I do think Jordan benefited greatly from CP so we'll see how he adjusts to being a Mav.

The forgotten team here is Memphis. We had one more win than them last season. They made some good pickups this offseason and could easily pass us and then we're looking at a #4 seed or worse.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol oh yeah. The if he just cared more he wouldn't turn it over so much argument. Love it.

Most Hardens turnovers are losing the ball while attacking the basket. Not unforced throw always.

15. crash5179

Look, I respect your opinion but if you seriously think there is anyway we lose more than we win by bringing back the same team then I don't know where to go with this conversation. Baring injuries that is just a ludicrous suggestion.

Having said that I like your passion. But I disagree with your thought that the team can not exercise patience in order to make the best moves possible to improve an already elite team.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

We had more player games lost to injury than any other playoff team by a long shot.

These other teams may have gotten better, but so did we just by getting healthy. And this is before we make the inevitable roster improvements.

I agree we need some more playmaking but I disagree that it has to be before the season starts. It just has to be done before the real season starts and we will be fine.

17. count_dough-ku

You really think the Rockets can't win fewer than 56 games next season even with the same roster? I'm not talking 45 wins here. They could win "only" 54 games like they did in 2013-14. All it takes is a few balls bouncing the other way. Think of how many close games they pulled out last season. Nick Johnson's game winner in Minnesota. The last minute comeback against Dallas. The last minute comeback against Brooklyn. The OT win at Sactown. The win at OKC where the Rockets couldn't crack 70.

And keep in mind that all it took was one less win last season and the Rockets would've been as low as the 6th seed instead of finishing 2nd. If you wanna know why I'm so concerned about not addressing the need at PG before the season starts, that's why. Every game matters. Yes, we could trade for someone by late February before the deadline, but the damage in the standings could already be done by then. We may already be too far back of teams like the Spurs, Warriors, Thunder, or Grizzlies to make up enough ground and overtake them by season's end.

18. crash5179

My problem with SAS is that Duncan, Parker and Ginobli are all a year older. Duncan is going to be asked to officially man the middle. No more Aaron Baynes or Tiago Splitter to fight the big centers in the West most of the game. We don't know what their bench will look like. I agree that Parker, Green, Leonard, Aldridge and Duncan are going to be outstanding. But who backs up Grandpa Duncan and Aldridge? Boris Diaw is all they have at the moment. They are over the cap with no MLE to use so I'm not sure who they get to fill the holes.

Having said all that, I need to see the product on the floor before I put them over the Rockets. Remember, the Rockets were the most injured team in the league last season. I expect better health this season.

19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Bev didn't win so much as he hustled while everyone else was super sloppy. I'm not knocking Bev, but the consensus I heard was this was one of the poorest skills competitions ever.

20. crash5179

My comment was about the Rockets losing more than they win. That was what I was commenting on.

If your were just typing fast and meant something else or if I just misunderstood your point then no problem.

And yes, I do agree with you that the Rockets could finish the season with fewer wins next season than this past season. But I still think they will be right at the top of the Southwest or within a game or two of the leader even without a new point guard. This is why I say Daryl Morey has time to make what ever improvements are needed.