1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kazakh gold medallist is played Borat anthem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Child_Plz, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17491344

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B39cenrIQW0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. conquistador#11

why they no laugh?

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Niiiiiiiiiiice

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

She is my seester

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Great success!

6. Asian Sensation

I liiiike a Kongkenpuchic muzeek bery much

bing bong bing bong bing!

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One thing I didn't get about the Borat movie was why fake everything else but not just make up a fake country. That would avoid any awkwardness like this or potential legal issues.

8. Apps

Apps Member

I think Cohen's underlying point, which got obscured by the sensationalism of what his Borat character eventually devolved into, was to play on people's ignorance about geography and the ignorance people have of cultures in places seldom thought of. He tried to see how ridiculous and offensive he could get and how much people would tolerate that ridiculousness due to their pure lack of knowledge of the [Kazakh] culture to begin with. Had anyone really known anything about Central Asia (one of the most overlooked places on Earth), or heck, even Middle Eastern culture, they probably would've been easily able to see through his facade.

As you see in this thread, the character eventually became nothing more than a catchphrase machine, from which the real social commentary became forever obscured. Incidentally, the mistake the Kuwaitis made is exactly the kind of point I think Cohen was going for in the first place.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Or maybe he just wanted to chase a fat man through a hotel whilst naked.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

sleeve of wizard.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

So much win lol Cohen is a genius

Though I always though Ali G was by far the cleverest character out of the three.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: Props to the Kazakhstan chick for not GOING BALLISTIC and "DID BARON COHEN KILL ALL KAZAKHSTANIANS?!?!?!?!?!?! :mad: " during the anthem.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

This music makes me want to sexy time explosion.

14. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

It's funnier that way, plus the millions of khazaki-Americans can relate better (;

15. bloop

bloop Member

Because like with his Ali G routine the point of Borat is to mock muslims. That doesn't work if you use a fake country. The original guy that Cohen ripped off for Borat Mahir Cagri (the I love you world meme guy) is Turkish but there would have been too much backlash for Turkey so he just picked a random Turk/muslim country. Kazakhstan being next door and small enough to slur.

The ironic thing is Kazakhs are pretty much half Asian, since they are whites mixed with Mongol invade blood they dont really look middle eastern or arab for the most part.

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

Not that any of that is important for the purposes of Borat. which is to make fun of anti-semiticism and muslims.

16. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium.
    Other countries have inferior potassium.

:grin:

17. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

The joke isn't on Kazakhstan or Muslims, but rather our ignorance of Kazakhstan. When I watch the Borat, it's hard to mistake him for a "real" person/muslim. Especially in the TV series, most of the humor is generated by the reactions of those around him (taking Borat for real, and being afraid of offending Borat despite his best efforts to offend). When I watch Borat, I don't come away thinking any worse of Muslims.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Those pesky Islamists.

DD

19. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

but how do i find out if she will be a... uh... ah... CHEAT?