1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kawhi Leonard out indefinitely

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Jan 17, 2018.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I like it

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Gerald Green got a shoe deal. Kwahi can’t get one. New World Order.

4. Fantasma Negro

Gerald has a supply deal, he's on Team Harden with Taurean Prince. Kashi wants his own signature shoe like Westbrick just got but Nike doesn't think he's marketable. Maybe after he's traded then they'll see that he's actually underrated

malakas, RyanB and RasaqBoi like this.
  5. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Time for Adidas to snatch up another spurned Nike victim.

RyanB likes this.
  6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

He’s not marketable. Never will be.

7. Fantasma Negro

An nba champion, finals mvp, two time defensive player of the year is not marketable? Paul George ain't done **** but he's got his own shoe, what the **** is so marketable about Paul George? Kashi is in Popabitch's shadow, in Duncan's shadow but he's not that guy. Yeah he's quiet but he's got character, that's suppressed in San Antonio and its obvious he's tired of being a drone. Once he gets traded to a Boston or a Philly you'll see how marketable he is.

JunkyardDwg likes this.
  8. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Because Paul George is...
    uh...
    He's from Los Angeles? So is Leonard.
    Best "two-way" player? Leonard is better at both
    Is it because he's rumored to go to the Lakers? DING-DING-DING!

9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Doing all that doesn’t mean you’re a marketable player. He’s quiet. He’s not flashy. He’s never around anyone. Doesn’t stay active online. Dates no celebrity model. That’s what these shoe companies like. Someone who’s out n about. I can name 20 more players that are nowhere near Leonard skills but I would invest more money in them.

jsingles and BigMaloe like this.
  10. Fantasma Negro

Name them, I can literally think of two, Giannis and Ben Simmons. Neither bang famous skanks, or are super active on social media or hang with famous ppl. Their game on the court makes them marketable. And now that I think about it both have shoe deals with Adidas and Nike respectively. Giannis shoe will be out next season, so yeah name them

11. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

They both signed with Nike I believe, Giannis has the big fancy dunks which make him marketable, and Ben Simmons plays for Philly and is surgically attached to LeBron. The only time anyone cares about the Spurs is when the media has to show them, in the playoffs.

Rockets1994 likes this.
  12. Fantasma Negro

Giannis is signed to Adidas. You're right about Ben Siimons, LeBron has been riding his jock for about five years now. But your statement about Kawhi proves my point what's more marketable than a player that biggest in big moments? Isn't that Dame Lillards entire marketing persona, and he hasn't even won ****. Kawhi needs to chunk the duece on that Jordan brand bullshit, he's the only one on that brand that's won anything (no disrespect to CP3 and Iso Joe but its the truth), and get a better marketing team. Getting traded to a larger market couldn't hurt either

#252 Fantasma Negro, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Kawhi's game isn't flashy and he isn't very charismatic so he's not marketable. Duncan wasn't exactly a brand darling despite being one of the most accomplished basketball players in NBA history.

today likes this.
  14. today

today Contributing Member

Exactly. Being boring and playing without emotion doesn't sell anything. <Joe Johnson Faints />

Kevin Garnett wasn't the player that Duncan was, but boy was he fun to watch because of his emotion and passion.

15. Fantasma Negro

Because they play/played for Popabitch in San Antonio. His uncle who is now his agent knows this and this is probably why he's trying to get him traded

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

[probably......] Meanwhile, behind the scenes NIKE/Jordan Brand tell Leonard's uncle (his manager) that he can get a better shoe deal if he is in LA instead of San Antonio.

Vivi, Stormy1234 and malakas like this.
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A "local hero," with loads of local ad play from companies like HEB that's pretty lucrative , but nationwide? I don't recall much in the way of nationwide ads featuring The Big Fundamental. Those are the big paying gigs, the kind CP3 has had for years, the kind Harden and Ariza are cashing in on now, thanks to Chris.

18. Fantasma Negro

My bad, they are both with Nike. Which leave plenty of money for Kashi from Adidas. I'm really hoping he gets traded possibly to Boston

19. malakas

malakas Member

Giannis just signed with Nike again with his own signature shoe coming next year. He almost signed with Adidas but in the end Nike caved in and gave him the shoe deal.
    I don't think that Simmons has his own shoe deal. It's only a rookie 5 year contract with more bonus. The way he got it too it was because his agency negotiated hard and almost got him signed with Adidas.
    As you said the problem is also with Kawhi and his marketing team. Instead of talking with Jordan only they should be open about other brands too since 5 per it's really too little.

20. Fantasma Negro

His contract with Jordan ends October 1 but he can negotiate with the other companies in August, Jordan brand would then have 10 days to match. But he needs to burn that bridge and move on, he's too big for Jordan brand. They don't pay players well besides Westbrick, Melo makes about 7, Cp3 about 8 and Kashi is having trouble getting 10. Meanwhile Harden gets 15 a year from Adidas plus a beautiful marketing campaign that has pretty much made him the face of Adidas basketball. No one even knows what Kashi sounds like, why, because Michael Jordan does the voice overs for Jordan brand commercials, its criminal what's being done to this man's earning potential

Stormy1234, malakas and BigShasta like this.