1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kawhi Leonard named Defensive Player of the Year

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 23, 2015.

1. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Winning Finals MVP is kind of arbitrary. Leonard could have had a stinker of a season all year, not show up for any practice, and poop on the court but have 4 games where he just plays EXTREMELY well and wins Finals MVP.

As for DPOY. Well. Tyson Chandler won that once and I don't think he will sniff HOF

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. More so with DeAndre getting DPOY

3. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I do agree that Kawhi is the superior defender. Team defense and man on man. Just doesn't lock down the paint like Jordan

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

One thing that i just realize that Kawhi has not played more than 66 games in a season since he came into the league. That is sort of surprising actually - I dont know if he is "injury prone" but you would hope he would have had at least one season by now where he plays in 90% of the games.

But in terms of this season sure he only played in 64 games but he played 2033 minutes over those 64 games

Last year's winner Joakim Noah played in 67 games and 2049 minutes

Two seasons ago when Tyson Chandler won it he played 62 games and 2061 minutes.

so him not playing that much and all isnt really super out of the question when it comes to the DPOY when two of out of the three most recent winners logged around the same amount of minutes and games as he did this season

1 person likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Wait? I thought they didn't care about all these rewards?

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kerr says the amount of people who left Draymond off the ballot was &quot;a little tough to swallow&quot;</p>&mdash; Ethan Strauss (@SherwoodStrauss) <a href="https://twitter.com/SherwoodStrauss/status/591287899800276992">April 23, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Just got an advance copy of Kawhi Leonard's DPOY speech. Feel free to share. <a href="http://t.co/ywU6aY4fW2">pic.twitter.com/ywU6aY4fW2</a></p>&mdash; Taco Trey Kerby (@treykerby) <a href="https://twitter.com/treykerby/status/591282931198533632">April 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

exactly what i was thinking. now they seem all hurt

9. Nook

Nook Member

It is the Warriors love fest going on. Zach Lowe did the same thing. Here is what I don't understand..... according to Lowe and others, Green is the best defender in the NBA, Bogut is the 3rd best in the NBA..... Klay T is an elite defender.... and Curry is "okay"..... so why are the Warriors not an all time great defensive team.

I am not buying it.

Yet Curry is also the MVP, and doesn't really get much help.........

But the Warriors are winning the title.

10. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

For a team that doesnt care about awards they sure do get mad when they dont win

Cant stand the warriors

11. dianelo

dianelo Member

Lebron had 17 TO, more TO than assist. Yes, it's not like he didn't get his points, but in a less efficient way. How many guys in this league can do this to Lebron?

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Did he just call him Kia Leonard? That's some solid marketing. <a href="https://t.co/4m1L8kXyx4">https://t.co/4m1L8kXyx4</a></p>&mdash; Royce Young (@royceyoung) <a href="https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/591318860948762625">April 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

In last season,

Jeremy Lin had a higher FG % than James Harden in the last 15 seconds of the game.

So he must be the most clutch player in the Rockets and miles better than Harden.

14. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Wtf is this crap ? So ur saying you would rather play the clippers with deandre playing against Dwight is better ?

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Another part of me dies

Mook Morris eh Maury since he has higher ceiling

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Leonard's statement on winning DPOY. Probably the longest single stretch he's ever spoken in his entire life. <a href="http://t.co/ZN6PXFsPbU">pic.twitter.com/ZN6PXFsPbU</a></p>&mdash; Dan McCarney (@danmccarneySAEN) <a href="https://twitter.com/danmccarneySAEN/status/591327090688962560">April 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Tremendous work Nook on covering all of the "narratives!"

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think every single FMVP winner has been inducted into the hall of fame.

I guess Billups will be a point of contention when his time comes if he deserves to go in.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Interesting fact. Cedric Maxwell is the only player eligible to be in the HOF that is not that has won the award.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You're kidding right? He had more turnovers than assists because no one else on his team could do anything. And to the extent Kwahi was the best of a great defensive group, that matters.

But it also points again to the fact that the Spurs as a team were just way way better.

Got his points in a less efficient way? He had a 68% true shooting percentage, and shot 52% from three.

The counter, of course, is Kawhi was crazy efficient offensively... though at a much much lesser volume/usage, AND on a team where EVERYBODY was crazy efficient offensively.