1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Karl Towns - 6-foot-10 freshman in high school

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, Feb 16, 2012.

1. gah

gah Member

For what is worth, I saw him play in garbage time against Lithuania in the Olympics qualifier and he seemed to belong in there. Team USA is going against DR tonight, maybe we'll get a chance to see him get a taste of the real deal. You can watch it for 3 bucks at nba.tv

2. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

He just had a nice assist

3. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

He must be on cloud nine right now playing against all these stars at only 16!

4. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Kid is going to be good

5. Chinahype

Chinahype Member

size 20 shoe, can he be the next greg oden? ... or is he already ;)

6. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

I want this thread to live on forever so we can laugh whole-heartedly at people who have remarked he is slow and won't play inside.

You can always learn a post game when you are 6'10" and up....but you don't go back and learn ball skills or how to shoot a 3 though. That's just common sense....if a kid has the ability to play outside while still being massive....you let him. At least if you care about the development of the kid. A coach taking the easy way out just shoves him in the middle, killing his overall game development and lets him dominate with rebounds, blocks and dunks. All things he can and will learn to do later anyways.

Too slow? lol....he was 15/16 in the video and probably had been you know 6 foot ****ing 10 inches for all of a few months. He isn't slow, he is slightly uncoordinated....you know....due to being 6 foot ****ing 10 at 16 years old.

I'm not going to bother to try and analyze his stroke, footwork or basketball IQ because I'm not a scout (and neither are any of you), so I'll just stick with common sense and make those assessments above.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Fundamental Back to the Basket Game needs to be developed!
    Any Inside Moves?

Rocket River

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Why are people saying he's too skinny? He's incredibly filled out for a 14 year old kid being almost 7 feet tall..

9. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Cause most people are idiots that just repeat whatever they here the majority say....even if they are aware of the fact they don't truly know anything about human growth and development.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

For the past month, everyone's been watching workout videos of draft prospects. It's created unreasonable expectations that 14/15 year old kids should be as jacked as 21/22 year old men that have been training day and night for the draft. I wonder if they'd think the same thing about Lebron at 16 years old:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/29SDllawaw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, anyone who thinks Towns is too skinny would probably jump for joy if they could draft Anthony Davis.

11. Xcellerator

Xcellerator Member

12. MykTek

MykTek Member

for some reason, I think of the Big O .... Oliver Miller when I look at his face.... lol

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

He wants to reclassify for 2014. I don't understand why these kids wanna grow up so fast.... $$$$$$

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

This video came up in my Youtube suggestions and I remembered the name. Looks like he's come a long way athletically. He's throwing down double clutch jams and putbacks. Apparently, he's also 7'1" now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aJ5LtaMIttE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. jbasket

jbasket Member

With his skill set, almost looks like a massive stretch 4/5. It will be interesting to see what skillset he will show in the pros, whether it is face-up, post, floor-stretching, or a combo of all three (which could be deadly).

16. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

Meh, andray blatche, serge ibaka and Javale mcgee say Hi. :rolleyes:

Just because youre 7 foot and can walk and chew gum dont mean your gonna "dominate the nba"

17. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Looks like a decent prospect. What worries me is he has all those knee braces and stuff on already, and hes like 16 or 17. What happens when he gets into the way more intensive college level, and finally if he gets into the ultimate intensity of the NBA?