1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Karl Towns - 6-foot-10 freshman in high school

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Zackery

Zackery Member

Andrew Bynum with a sweet jumper.

2. Coherent

Coherent Member

I'm not impressed at all. Nice looking stroke, but no lift on his shot. Not one dunk highlight for a guy who is 6'10. He's playing guys who are 5 inches short than him at all times Not to mention that looks like a JV squad. Looks like he is a solid passer, can finish and score well. He reminds me of Craig Brackins. This kid will be a good college player, but a mediocre NBA player, unless he hits the weight room and becomes more athletic.

3. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

You should probably be a scout.

1 person likes this.
  4. Coherent

Coherent Member

I'd love to be a scout, but I don't have much of a basketball background for anyone to give me a chance. I know the game pretty well though.

5. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

6. Handles

Handles Member

Looks similar to Al Horford. Moves like Bynum. Plays like.... Brian Cook. Show me this kid when he's a senior so I can get a better assessment of his skills. He's too young to make any assumptions. For all I know he may give up basketball for golf or some **** like that.

7. JD88

JD88 Member

Looks to be coming to UK. He's already playing for Cal on the DR national team. There's video of him pulling up from the volleyball line on his court and draining threes

8. Mr.Rocket85

Mr.Rocket85 Member

I understand your giving your non bias opinion. But he's just a Freshman in High School. He has nothing but time on his hands. At least judge him when he's a senior.

9. joediamonds

joediamonds New Member

I saw 18 of Karl's games last season. Don't think his coach wanted him in the paint too much. He didn't want to clog up the paint so it would be open for Quenton DeCosey who will be going to Temple this year.
    Karl's playoff highlights can be found on YouTube here.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q9W6M_NGj94" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Wow he has better moves and a better shot than a lot of NBA guys that size.

11. delishman

delishman Member

Hehe.

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Weak competition, plays too much outside, and is slow.

Oh wait, he is only 15. Growth spurt may push him to 7 plus easily, will obviously fill out/become more coordinated with age. If he has the right people around him, she should be something to really watch for in two years.

Too me my negatives are honestly his age(lack of athletic ability because of it) and the people he is playing against.

Incredible though. If he works hard, I see a future KG.

13. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

he's a freshman in HS.. damn

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

His skillset and frame are amazing for 15. The critics in this thread are being ridiculous, bashing his strength and explosiveness. No kidding, he's a freshman. Would you be saying the same thing if he were 13? "Yeah, he's just hit puberty, but he doesn't look very strong and explosive compared to NBA players." :rolleyes:

I see a fairly fluid athlete already. Good range, turnaround jumpers in either direction, can finish with either hand, hook shots with either hand, spin moves and behind the back dribbles on the break. If he were a senior I'd already be impressed. At 15, his potential is off the charts.

15. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

For a 6'10" 15 year old, this guy impresses me with three things: his agility, his shot, and his enthusiasm. A lot of big kids just end up playing ball cuz they're big, but don't have the drive to get better. This guy looks like he enjoys playing. I'm thinking he could be like an Arvydas Sabonis with dominant size and a great outside shot--we'll see if he has his passing. I always wanted to see what Sabonis looked like when he was younger--maybe we'll see that in a few years.

16. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

He shows A LOT of promise. too early to proclaim him as the next _________ (Bynum, Horford, etc.) Like other posters have said, lets see him in 3-4 years.

17. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Watching this second video you can see he definitely has good footwork and can put the ball on the floor. His outside shot reminds me a lot of Sam Perkins back in the day.

The only thing I notice right now which we have to wait for is to see if he can get more lift on his post moves and turn arounds. Against this competition he towers over them so it's easy to not have to jump. If he plays guys his size he needs to be able to get a bit more lift and jump on those shots or he will be easily blocked in my opinion.

18. Coherent

Coherent Member

Yeah, he definitely has time to grow as a player. He is a scoring machine, but athleticism/rebound/defense are all unknown commodities to Towns. He has time to become an excellent player, but I don't see it yet is all.

19. smr6

smr6 Member

His release is scary quick for a kid that size.

20. Mariachi ROCKET

I want to see sledge hammer throw downs from this Kid! What god giving height man I swear!