1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Karl Towns - 6-foot-10 freshman in high school

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, Feb 16, 2012.

1. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

see what he's like in 3 years. looks like a cross between early yao with bynum-like movement. hopefully he improves his vertical, quickness, and adds some muscle.

2. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

You don't know anything about the human body. You don't know anything about natural growth and development. And apparently you have also forgot what it's like to be 14 and how your body was....

You aren't very smart....about anything it seems.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I know plenty about natural growth, i also know plenty about how difficult it would be for anyone to get into the nba, their isn't going to be anything natural about it. It will take hard *****ing work. Now you can sit here and call me ignorant about the human body with no facts all you want but i will promise you getting in better shape could not hurt anything. It would make him more durable, give him more stamina, make him stronger and quicker with hops. Now if your telling me those things wouldn't help out any 14/15 year old then your out of your mind, and no buddy i didn't forget how my body was when i was 14, i am 14.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Plays for the same HS as Andrew Bynum.

Impressive skillset for a guy that young with that size.

5. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Rasheed Wallace at Ralph Sampsons height...needs to work on his vertical, and yes hit the weight room.

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

He moves like an old man.

7. jtagtp

jtagtp Member

down in the post and never dunked it, weak sauce but probably helping with developing jump shot

8. CertifiedTroll

Lets draft him, turn him into a point guard, and throw him in the d league!

9. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Is 6’11 HS Freshman Karl Towns Jr The Next Kevin Durant?

Click on link to see story and video

http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/is_6_11_freshman_karl_towns_jr_the_next_kevin_durant

While the real Kevin Durant is busy winning 3 consecutive NBA scoring crowns and attempting to lead his Thunder teammates to the franchise’s first NBA Championship in OKC, the next KD is already tearing up HS varsity competition as a 6’11 freshman in New Jersey.

Even though some may think it’s unfair to compare a 15 year old freshman phenom to an NBA superstar, consider the fact that Towns has already been selected for the Dominican Republic National Team, alongside some current elite level NBA stars like Al Horford and Francisco Garcia.

Dominican team head coach John Calipari has gone on record saying that the future is very bright for the multi-talented center, who is the #1 rated player in the 2015 recruiting class. Coach Cal should know, as he has helped guide the careers of future NBA stars like Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, and John Wall in recent years at Kentucky. Not surprisingly, Towns now lists Kentucky as his #1 choice to play college ball in a few seasons.

Already a legitimate 6’11 and 225lbs, Towns has an unbelievable skill set where he runs the floor and plays like a big man, yet has amazingly advanced ball-handling skills and can shoot the 3 with an alarming amount of distance and accuracy, which draws the instant comparison to Durant. Towns may be more comparable to former NBA MVP Dirk Nowitzki since Towns is probably a better post player at this stage of his career than that of Durant as a HS freshman.

Hailing from Metuchen, New Jersey, Towns helped lead his St Joseph’s HS squad to a NJ State Class A Title and made a deep run in the NJ Tournament of Champions, regularly holding his own against incoming Division I recruits on top teams like the famed St Benedicts, St. Anthony’s and St Patrick’s high schools.

At only 15 years of age, Towns already sports a size 20 shoe and is no where near finished growing into his larger than life frame. One look at some of his HS highlight footage and Towns looks almost freakish as he towers over everyone on both teams but also appears graceful and athletic with the basketball.

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

John Calipari is the head coach of the Dominican Republic National Team???

11. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Kids pretty smooth for his size and still growing into his frame.

Rockets, sign him, now!

12. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Excuse me, 15 y.o.? This kid isn't even done growing?! I am afraid...

13. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Pointy elbows. 3/10. Would not draft.

14. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Wow, a 6'11" 15 y.o. freshman? Good lord. :eek: Hope he has the passion to continue improving and sticking with the game...15 is too young to claim someone is the next great player...way too much happens between 15 and 18 to know how someone's life is going to pan out, but he is one of the few that have one of the better opportunities to get to the NBA just on his genetics alone.

15. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Hope we're not stuck with the 14th pick again when he enters the draft in 5 years.

16. roksoer

roksoer Member

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If this guy is already 6'11, 225 lbs at only 15 years-old, he will be nothing like KD by the time he joins the NBA. Probably compares more to Andrea Bargnani.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Previous thread about Towns here

He's got nice finess skills for someone so big at a young age. He looks like a reverse Greg Oden, looking big and 13 instead of big and 33. His game now is kinda like a Brian Cook, which is darn good for a 15 year. So its if/WHEN he grows into his body to be more of a banger.

19. valorita

valorita Member

a young brian cook?

20. gah

gah Member

Yep, since last year and Del Harris is an assistant. He's going to coach us in our last chance to make the Olympics.

Towns has already seen action with the team albeit only on garbage time, which is understandable. I'm stoked that he chose to play for us even though he doesn't seem to be that much of a Dominican, I think the first time he came to the country was only with the national team in mind. It should be great for him to be going against our guys in practice, he needs to compete and scrimmage against real men.