1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Karl Malone calls Bullard a "punk"?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 9, 2000.

1. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

I wonder if Malone would have reacted differently if Hakeem had said what Bullard did. Bullard's an easy target.

2. Firstly Jenna, I can no longer believe you are a true rox fan. Sorry, I just dont see it now that the rox are losing. So please, have all the fun in the world cheering for Karl "Quick somebody replenish my rogaine" Malone.

Secondly...Who cares what Malone has to say. He, and his team, was Hakeems whipping boy(s) until injuries; and we have the Spazz to thank for laying down like dogs en route to 2 titles, which is 2 more than Utah fans can ever, or ever will, brag about.

This brings back vivid memories, of a crying, moaning Karla complaining why he and his team dont get as much exposure as the teams that actually have won titles...the answer was given so eloquantly by the failman himself.

3. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

This is what you can do when people like Karl say things like that.

Think back at how many times he was Olajuwons biatch over and over again. Of course, during those days, he never would of said those things because he would of gotten about 40 points dropped on his head. And why piss a player off when he is better than you in every way possible and also has $150 million more than you.
    So now, we got young guys here who have yet to prove themselves and now he sure can talk because he knows that we have nobody now. He didn't even speak about the Rocks when Barkley was here.

And when Rodman said things about him during the Finals? Did he dog Rodman? Piss off the Bulls? No. Jordan was there and why piss a player off when he is better than you in every way possible and also has $150 million more than you.

Now, Karl doesn't ride Shaq like he use to because Shaq is the Diesel and can pick up Malone with one hand or drop 40 on his team. And why piss a player off when he is better than you in every way possible and also has $150 million more than you.

Bottom line, Malone is what we call a BULLY. When you are bigger and better, he is your friend. He is your fan. He tries to be what he isn't. When you are not, he becomes a bully. He did it to Grant. He did it to Robinson. He did it to Bradley.

Too bad that Dream never lost his temper like he use to and just beat the f**k out of him. Oh wait, he did. But on the court. Between Jordan and Dream, Karl lost 8 opportunities to win a ring. And now they are all gone. Awwww, so sad.

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited January 09, 2000).]

4. mantronix

mantronix Member

Jenna, I am tired of this nonsense sticking up for Malone, I have no respect for Malones try to hurt you type play and I have no respect for simpletons who stick up for him. Let's get something straight about the failman Jenna the guy is a low class cheapshot flagrant fouling punk. That is what you cheer for Jenna a real low life in a basketball sense. I really hope Malone gets hurt by an elbow from someone else so he can feel the pain of a cheap shot. Bullard should have undercut malone on a lay up and maybe Karla would have blown his knee out.

5. mantronix

mantronix Member

Almu, It never ceases to amaze me how you always seem it slip Jordan's name into your posts. Why dont you give up already with this Jordan crap. Malones an idiot but so is M.j.

6. popeye

popeye Member

Jenna and Karl

The General Consensus
    I too, cannot stand Karl Malone,and agree with Almu that I see him as the stereotypical "bully in the schoolyard". I have gone to great lengths to voice that opinion. We are assuredly, not alone in that feeling on this BBS.

Jenna, on the other hand, has a history with Karl closer than you or I could imagine. She is also a true sports fan and has been a Rockets fan for years. She has the invested time, and more importantly the scars to prove her loyalty to this franchise. She has not just arrived on the scene. She is no bandwaggoner or fly-by-night supporter. She is able to balance the love of the game, the affection of knowing Karl and the pride in being a Rocket fan. All without apparent conflict.

You can question her reasoning, or her taste in heroes/villians. But please do not question her Rocket sincerity.

Voicing an Unpopular Opinion
    Some of us have had unpopular opinions in the past and have been chastised for it. Some have come strongly to my defensive in the past. For that reason, but not solely for that reason, I will continue to defend jenna's right to voice any unpopular supportive post about this guy.

Some may not have earned that privilege of steadfastly holding to an argument for an unsavoury subject. But as I said, she has history. But she has earned it.

This is not a mere question of argument versus argument for her. This is truly how she has experienced Karl. Despite everything that has been said about Karl Malone. Depsite evidence that sometimes puts him categorically in the same "time zone" as someone like Rocker. She has held him in high regard.

She defends him, because she is worthy enough to find things about him that make up for everything we find abhorrent.

We can only wish that each of us has someone of equal character to defend us, not because they agree with our outrageous picadillos and socially unacceptable behaviors, but in spite of it.

Cheers.

[​IMG]

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Thanks for the support guys!

Jenna, sorry if I hit a nerve with you. I didn't mean to offend you in anyway, but I stand by my words. Hell, I've already told you that I respect the fact that you are a Jazz and Karl Malone fan and that you are willing to defend them both. You have your opinion of him and the Jazz organization and I have mine.

"So, since he's from a very poor part of Louisiana and does not have the best speaking skills in the world, he's a "trailer park trash country hillbilly"?

Did I say anything about where he was from or how he speaks?

No.

Does coming from a poor background and having poor speaking skills make one trailer park trash country hillbilly?

No.

If that were the case then Hakeem would have to be in that category and we all know that just isn't so. Hakeem has at least one thing Malone will NEVER have.

Class

You can't buy class with any amount of money.

"Bullard said a ton of things to the media on Friday regarding the Nelson/Malone confrontation. Mostly, he completely trashed Karl and praised Nelson."

What Bullard said about the Malone/Nelson situation is totally irrelevant. It was the media that asked Bullard about it directly I assume and Malone played right into the media's hands when they went to him about it, as any good hillbilly would do.

As it would be Bullard didn't even say anything to warrant the reaction from Malone. One thing about people like Karl, when they know they are wrong they get defensible, which is exactly what Malone did. One thing he said I found very contradictory...

"He's a wimp and a punk to go on TV and run his mouth"

Hmmm, Karl...what does that make you? A wimp and a punk perhaps?

"Matt's mouth was running, but only when Karl turned his back to him - in other words, Matt wouldn't say anything to his face. When Karl would turn to him to ask him what he was saying, he got quiet really, really fast."

I highly doubt that. This is a man's game and no player would let himself be shown up like your saying, especially in front of his teammates. Pig Miller and Cuttino Mobley sure as hell didn't have a problem commenting to Malone when they wanted to and I highly doubt Matt backed down.

Its just my opinion Jenna. Don't take it personal cause no offense is intended.

------------------
    Without a good defense, there is no offense.

We don't need no stinking badges!!! We need some stinking WINS!!!

8. Jenna

Jenna Member

Popeye -

Thanks, Spinich Boy. It's not often that someone will help me out on this subject - and if anyone is gonna get my back around here, I certainly want it to be you. I don't think half of these guys will ever understand my position - they just don't see exactly where I'm coming from. It's not easy being me around here sometimes, and I greatly appreciate the lengths you go to in order to create peace between me and everyone else. Thank you!!

RocketsPimp -

Most of what was said after the Friday interview, which Karl saw in its entirety and used as motivation for a game he was sure he was going to be bored with, came both prior to going on the floor and during shootaround 2 and a little during the game. Bullard refused to say anything to Karl's face - why, I don't know. I can only go on what I see and hear.

thedreamshake99 -

Apparently you've missed something about me - while I am a Rockets fan, if Karl Malone is involved in anything, I'm on his side no matter what. I don't care if he's playing against the Clippers, Lakers, Heat (and I am also a Heat fan thanks to PJ Brown) or the Rockets, I'm going for Karl. That's just how it is for me - Karl comes first, everyone else comes next. I am a Rockets fan - I've been to about a zillion Rockets games in the past few seasons (I've got season tickets), cheering my head off for them (unless they're playing the Jazz or Heat). I chose the Rockets a long time ago - I didn't choose the Jazz, I automatically became a Jazz fan when they had the 13th pick in the 1985 draft. Since Karl is on the Jazz, I'm a Jazz fan. But I'm also a Rockets fan because I wanted to be a Rockets fan.

mantronix -

My sticking up for Karl is not "nonsense." My sticking up for Karl is part of my everyday routine - has been for years and will be until the day I die.

Let's just leave it at this, guys. Most of you seem to think I'm the daughter of Satan for my position, and there's no chance of me changing at all. Not to mention, I don't have time for this right now - I've got to go get ready to cheer for Karl and the Jazz tomorrow night.

Popeye - thanks, again!!

------------------
    Jen
    Next round of Nelson vs. Malone: February 24 @ Reunion Arena

9. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Ok, Mantronix. This one is for you.

This is what you can do when people like Karl say things like that.
    Think back at how many times he was Olajuwons biatch over and over again. Of course, during those days, he never would of said those things because he would of gotten about 40 points dropped on his head. And why piss a player off when he is better than you in every way possible and also has $150 million more than you.
    So now, we got young guys here who have yet to prove themselves and now he sure can talk because he knows that we have nobody now. He didn't even speak about the Rocks when Barkley was here.

And when Rodman said things about him during the Finals? Did he dog Rodman? Piss off the Bulls? No. QUITTEN was there and why piss a player off when he is better than you in every way possible and also has $1 million more than you.

Now, Karl doesn't ride Shaq like he use to because Shaq is the Diesel and can pick up Malone with one hand or drop 40 on his team. And why piss a player off when he is better than you in every way possible and also has $150 million more than you.

Bottom line, Malone is what we call a BULLY. When you are bigger and better, he is your friend. He is your fan. He tries to be what he isn't. When you are not, he becomes a bully. He did it to Grant. He did it to Robinson. He did it to Bradley.

Too bad that Dream never lost his temper like he use to and just beat the f**k out of him. Oh wait, he did. But on the court. Between QUITTEN and Dream, Karl lost 8 opportunities to win a ring. And now they are all gone. Awwww, so sad.

Happy? Didn't mean to hurt your feelings there. Let me know what else I can do for you when you see a post that you don't like that has Jordans name on it. I will change it ASAP for you, ok? My email address is right there in the profile and I usually get paged when I get a message. That way, I will go to my laptop and change it. No matter where I am. Anywhere in the U.S.! How dat sound? Just for you, Manny. Just for you and you only.

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

10. No your not the daughter of Satan. Maybe I have a different understanding of what a true "FAN" is.

The way I percieved it is that to be a fan of a team, it supercedes (sp?) any loyalty to any one player. Including someone on your favorite team. ie: Hakeem.

To say that Houston comes 5th behind
    1. Hooked on Phonics Malone
    2. PJ Brown
    3. the Spazz
    4. the Heat

in my book means your truely not a fan of the Rockets. My opinion. Casually your a fan, to the point where you wear a Rox jersey to a Houston-Spazz matchup, and wear it while they are winning, and as soon as the Spazz go up in the game you switch over to your Male pattern Baldness spokesperson Jersey (Yes I remember that tale). That in itself is as Popeye denies it-bandwagoning to an even worse degree. Done in one game to support who is winning for the moment. I could maybe understand if you were a mother of two children playing on two sepreate teams, and cheering for both, and personally Id still have a hard time with it. Pick a team and cheer for it untill your lungs bleed the teams colors...but unless your holding some ill got secret as to mothering Karl Malone himself. To me you are not a Rox fan. Merely much like I am, with the Titans (GO SKINS, its been seven long years baby), Lightly entertained with another team.

So Ill stick to my guns.

11. rocketscat

rocketscat New Member

why karl didn't shake hand to matt? was he because matt was his wearing champianship ring?

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'm not going to go into the "true fan" debate because Clutch and many of you know where that lead a few years ago, but I will say I'm with you on this one dreamshake99.

We'll leave it at that for now.

------------------
    I follow the NBA, but I am a ROCKETS FAN!!

13. popeye

popeye Member

Just to clarify something:

Let's Not Use This Name Tag "fan" Thing
    I hope no one got the opinion that my support was predicated on either you agree with me or you are not a "true Rocket Fan", or you must do "such and such" etc ... to be considered a "true fan, blah, blah blah", ad nauseum.

On the contrary, as I understand the definition, the fact that we represent a number of different backgrounds, with a number of views and a great deal of personal history with the game, is what makes us as interesting as we are at this unique BBS.

We therefore can certainly enjoy our own version and personal meaning of what the Rockets mean to us individually. The intensity of our celebration or the level of attention we give others in this game should not be some benchmark used to measure our "true fan" bearing either.

Let's just leave that label elsewhere, it serves no purpose. If I inadvertedly escalated it as a topic it was unintentional.

For Most ... We all Started as A Fan of The Game
    A great deal of us started with the game and slowly worked our way around to our present allegiance. My chance meeting of Bob Cousy many years ago, and thereafter cheering for the Celtics does not diminish my feelings for the Rockets who I followed earnestly since they were San Diego. We all have many influences that affect how we react to this game. Rockets or otherwise. We each have our own way of dealing with these, sometimes, conflicting aspects.

Dreamshake
    Actually Dreamshake I was going to use that very scenario of a parent with two or more children playing against one another. Looks like you beat me to it.

Over the years jenna has found a way to justify her intensity and favor when she watches a game. She does not waver on it, nor does she jump from one idealogical stance to another, as you suggested. She makes no excuses, nor should she. It is the way she experiences the game. She is comfortable with her position. It does not bother me. It may bother some.It obviously bothers you.

"Pick a team and cheer for it until your lungs bleed the teams colors...but unless your holding some ill got secret as to mothering Karl Malone himself. To me you are not a Rox fan."

That does not address her situation nor does it justify the intelligent responses we expect of you. Her allegiance is true to the mark. Rockets first, unless her friend Karl, who she has known persionally for a number of years, is playing. Then she tries to spare the emotion of one for the other, and cheers the individual player over the the team she loves. Wishing both the fortune of the game.

Explained as she does, it causes no conflict with me. I still think Karl is a Bully. I still think he stretches the definition of sportsmanship. But, I am not going to start dismissing someone who disagrees with my opinion.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Francis3 -- you need to be careful ... you've crossed the line way too much.

Pole -- I BUSTED out laughing on that one!

15. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Ok fine... But I mean everything i said.

16. Popeye...sometimes man, your so complex its hard to understand exactly where your coming from.

But as to the issue of Jenna wearing a Rox jersey and cheering for the Rox until they lost the lead, at which point she switched to her "Im a crybaby thug" jersey, and cheered for the spazz the rest of the game: Those were her own words.

I really don't want to get into who is a true fan, and who isn't either...yet, all I was doing was pointing out that by her own admissions, it should be hard for anyone, including herself, to admit that she is truely endeared to the Rox, much less a fan.

17. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Guys one big question:

Why was Bullard questioning Malone a few days before the Jazz game? Last thing Bullard needs to be doing is pi$$ing off the mailman.

Maybe Bullard should watch the WWF and understand: Shut your mouth and know your role.

18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Karl Malone.

Just another backwoods Louisiana truck driving ignorant piece of Cajun trash.

Who hasn't won an NBA title.

------------------
    Just Win Baby! More Than Four Times!

19. Jenna

Jenna Member

thedreamshake99 -

You know, I'm not pro-Rockets 100% of the time. My friends come first. You should see me at a Jazz/Heat game - talk about problems. If one of my boys is involved in something (ie: game), I'm on their side. My loyalty is to them.

You seem to think the whole Rockets jersey switching is a slap in my face or something. It's not. Usually the jersey would come off once a certain person saw me in it and gave me a certain look. There was no way the rest of my day could be good if I continued to wear it. Just the fact that I did in the first place was points against me.

Basketball hasn't always been in my life - it just walked into it one day while I was sitting on the floor in my dad's office playing with my Barbies. Who knew my life would be completely changed that day by a man no one had ever heard of at the time. He's had a gigantic influence on my life, and for that, I will be forever greatful. I've been able to do things, see things and meet people I never would have before. I am by far a stronger, more well-rounded person than I would have been. I'm not afraid to say or do anything anymore. All this because some guy needed help with a speech. Not too bad.

You say I'm not a "true" Rockets fan. Maybe I'm not. I have been to hundreds of Rockets games over just the past few seasons cheering my little heart out for them, have all the memorabillia one could want, and more useless knowledge about the team that should be allowed. But, there are a couple of people that I let stand in my way of my being a Rockets fan. I guess my friends just mean too much to me.

I've been cheering for these guys since they were total no ones eating the entire town of the the cold chicken in their refridgerators; since they were redshirted because they didn't make the grades; since Karl Malone wore #53. There's no way on this planet I'm going to stop now - even if it means I can't be a true Rockets fan. If given the choice of the Rockets or Karl, there really is no decision to be made - Karl wins, each and every time. I don't expect you to like him, but don't think for one second that you'll ever make me like him one tiny bit less than I do now - I just continue to like him more and more. I'd much rather go through life being loyal to him than to anyone or anything else.

I wouldn't risk my life for the Rockets (well, maybe one of them), but I would gladly risk my life for my friends.

I swear, I gotta get out of this room - my waffles have never arrived and I'm starving to death!!!! Gotta have a big breakfast to get me ready for my Tim Duncan bash-fest tonight!!!!

------------------
    Jen
    Next round of Nelson vs. Malone: February 24 @ Reunion Arena

[This message has been edited by Jenna (edited January 10, 2000).]

20. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Jenna,

It seems impossible for you to be objective about this matter.

Your profile notes you as a student.
    I hope that you appreciate your good fortune in life because the typical student can't afford room service to bring them waffles. Nor do they have the contacts/resources to be able to enjoy the luxuries in life that you seem to enjoy.

Mango