1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Karl-Anthony Towns named Rookie of the Year

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 16, 2016.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

true superstar exist on teams than can barely win 10 games. All hail okafor

2. andersongo

andersongo Member

A superstar is a superstar wherever he might be, be it on the stacked Cavs or the D-league Sixers. A superstar is defined by his ability to score at will against set defenses. Thus, Kawhi, while one of the best defenders the game has ever seen, is not a true superstar. The current narrative is that Kawhi choked once again when he had to create and make a shot in the playoffs but I think that he is just limited on that end and can't take over a game.Durant struggled with his shot all game long VS GSW but he still came through with a tough clutch shot over Iggy after he missed his seven earlier shots. In the end, superstars win you playoffs games.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

definitely don't agree. that's your definition of superstar and yours only. well just leave it at that.

4. andersongo

andersongo Member

And yet, that's the working definition of superstars for GM when it comes to giving away superstar-tier money. A superstar must get you buckets when the rest of your team can't buy one by himself so that your offense don't peter out and forces you into a hole.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

its actually not. $ isn't truly correlated with the real value of a player. I guess guys like parsons and hayward are superstars to you and in the exact same breath as Curry and Lebron.

6. andersongo

andersongo Member

I am speaking of Superstar tier of $$. Parsons' and Haywards' contract took into account the expanding cap and don't fall into that category. I'm talking about what Durant will fetch in free-agency and Curry's next contract.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

superstar tier $ is max level which is dealt according to the players eligibility themselves. Max is max no matter what.

8. andersongo

andersongo Member

Today's max contract is tomorrow's roleplayer contract based on expanding capspace. Mavs poison pilling of the Rockets was brillant because Cuban, being the shark that he is, realised that the Roxs' window is right now while the Mavs could afford to be more forward looking with respect to capspace.

9. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Whats wrong with him in the last 15 games or so?
    Single digit shots taken and haven't been dominating as much.
    Wonder if hes injured or hit a wall ...

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why don't the wolves go to him more more often. It seems they stop passing him the ball at times. He can score from the inside. He can score from the outside. He can post up. He can hit his FTs. He doesn't play much defense, but offensively he is so good and wolves don't utilize him nearly enough.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Thibs is obviously not a great coach, at least on offense, the Bulls were trash too. With that said, they don't have a great mix of players imo, the talent is definitely there but not in the right mix, Butler and Towns are ok and can play well together even though Butler is not Harden. But Wiggins and Teague are not team players, they hog the ball too much without making other guys around them better and they're just not worth the contracts they have. I actually never understood why Thibs went after Teague when Hill would've been a much better fit for them but whatever, he wants Rose, that's all you need to know...

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Season average 20.2 points, 12.2 rebounds

Last 15 games, 19.9 points, 12.4 rebounds

macho GRANDE and BigMaloe like this.
  13. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Its because Thibs is offensively inept and refuses to run the offense around the man who has the second highest shots-to-points ratio in the NBA (behind harden) and would rather have that overrated bum Wiggins take the most shots.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Don't you think they did last year, and won only 31 games? He got as many shots as any big...and score 25ppg

Sometimes less is more ... and in KATs case, everything points to Thibs is using him better for efficiency and wins than last year when he shot at Anthony Davis' level and scored 25 ppg.

This year he's much more efficient (shooting 42% from 3 :eek:) and they already have 36 wins. Probably going to get 20 more wins than last year, and that's not all due to Butler in and Rubio out.

KAT is:
    • 2nd in the league in eFG% for players scoring more than 15 points (Only Curry ahead of him) ... 7th overall at 20ppg
    • 2nd in the league in TS% for players with > 15ppg ... 4th overall at 20 ppg
    • Minny will get 20 more wins this year than last
    • It's a fallacy to say more FGAs will increase scoring at same efficiency and wins.
    methinks you need him to score more for your fantasy team. :p

Towns produced 31 wins last year doing what you're saying. Thibs has Towns at significantly higher efficiency, shooting less, but Minny might win 20 more games...vs AD and Cousins who score more but still don't know how to win.

I don't see a problem, since Minny needed to play better defense to win.

#34 heypartner, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Vivi likes this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

KAT is great finisher but not good enough to initiate an offense. When he can just abuse single coverage and forces defenses to flex, is when you can you should just feed him the ball. That is why Embiid is a better player even though his stats are lower. With Embiid, there a games where you know he could score 40 if they single cover him and he causes defenses to adjust which creates openings for other players.

16. heypartner

also, Thibs has Minny at the 3rd Best Offense in the league. Yes, Thibs owns the 3rd Best ORtg.

What is he doing wrong?

Had Pops taken over Minny this year instead, and KAT made that significant jump in efficiency at less FGAs ala Duncan, getting Minny to 3rd best ORtg (from 10th last year) at 20 more wins, what would we be saying? We would be saying, look how Pops is using Towns correctly vs last year dumping the ball to him. And we wouldn't be criticizing him for not winning 55-60 games, yet

Minny just has zero depth, and KAT is still hurting their DRtg....as they are still bottom-tier defense, even with Thibs and Butler.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

T-Wolves need more 3-point shooting. The make the 2nd fewest in the NBA. Their roster and offense is built for the NBA 25 years ago.

They also need Wiggins to play like an alpha dog every night instead of going through the motions so often. Maybe he'll flip the switch at some point but I don't think he's programmed that way.

DudeWah likes this.
  18. heypartner

I mean, they have the 3rd best ORtg....only HOU/GSW better.

• If the new NBA analytics say don't ever argue with ORtg, well, then you can't argue with what they are doing on offense.
    • As for old-style roster and offense, no centers 25 yrs ago shot 42% from 3 and 3.5 shots per game. So, there's that. They have the best Stretch 5 in the game...setting him up for 2nd Best eFG% and TS% in the league for players with >15 ppg.

this criticism that popped up after we trounce them is odd, imo. Offense is *not* their problem. They have a major depth problem, and the DRtg still sucks.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

I mean, they added Butler, Gibson, swapped Teague with Rubio, Towns like most of young players is getting better...they have a ton of talent in the starting five, if you consider they play a lot of minutes it's not really shocking they're scoring a lot, can this be enough to justify having the third ORtg? I don't know but still...i don't exactly like how they play, to me it doesn't look good team ball, and i'm not even sure it's something possible with that roster.

Also, about the depth, they have no depth cause they, or better, Thibs, decided to overpay players like Dieng, Aldrich, Wiggins, Teague and yeah, i'd throw in Crawford too. Should've sign better players spending less money on bad ones like Pop did :D

20. heypartner

You mean like Morey just did. :D

Vivi likes this.