1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Karen of the Day

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really think they need to find a balance here. Beaches are not where the virus is being spread. Not only is it outdoors and people naturally spread out, there a breeze.

I think if people wear masks when they are indoors or in crowded spaces that's enough.

London'sBurning, B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Os Trigonum likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

She must be rich if she has a conversation with an attorney about wearing a mask to a dental office

superfob, CometsWin and RayRay10 like this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That has nothing to do with masks as no one in the bar is wearing a mask. She's very drunk and obviously got bounced for being intoxicated.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"No, We Don't Need Harsher Criminal Penalties To Fight the 'Karens' of the World
    Politicians appear to have learned all the wrong lessons about over-policing":

https://reason.com/2020/07/08/no-we...l-penalties-to-fight-the-karens-of-the-world/

excerpt:

Two California Bay Area Democrats are responding to the current push for police reform by giving police and prosecutors more tools to punish people.

San Francisco Supervisor Shamann Walton and Bay Area Assemblyman Rob Bonta (D–18th District) are teaming up to introduce a local ordinance and a state bill, respectively, that will create both criminal and civil penalties for those who use 911 calls in order to harass people on the basis of their race, religion, sex, or other protected status.

In San Francisco, Walton dubbed his proposed ordinance the Caution Against Racially Exploitative Non-Emergencies Act, or CAREN Act, an obvious allusion to recent viral news stories about white women who use the police to harass people, commonly referred to as "Karens." Walton said Tuesday the purpose of the ordinance is to create "consequences" for people who would weaponize 911 with racist intentions.

But California already has laws against false 911 calls, so it's worth exploring what these proposals actually do. Under current state law, a fake 911 call is a misdemeanor with a maximum sentence of 1 year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. If the 911 response to a false call results in death or great bodily injury, the crime becomes a felony with a larger possible fine and a longer maximum sentence.

Bonta's Assembly Bill 1550 (A.B. 1550) would make a person who is the subject of an unnecessary police call a "victim," and allow prosecutors to use the state's hate crime law enhancement against the 911 caller.

Determining whether a person has malicious intent when calling 911, or whether they've actually misinterpreted another person's behavior is its own can of worms. But there's more to A.B. 1550 than this, and the full text doesn't seem to be getting much attention in the media reports I've read.

A.B. 1550 also permits anybody who is affected by one of these false 911 calls to take the caller to court and attempt to recover civil damages. This does not require that the caller be convicted in a criminal court of making a false 911 call, only that the plaintiff prove that race-, sex-, religion-, or other protected status-motivated call led to an encounter with a police officer during which police do any of the following:
    • (1) Infringe upon the person's rights under either the California Constitution or the United States Constitution.
    • (2) Unlawfully discriminate against the person.
    • (3) Cause the person to feel harassed, humiliated, or embarrassed.
    • (4) Cause the person to be expelled from a place in which the other person is lawfully located.
    • (5) Damage the person's reputation or standing within the community.
    • (6) Damage the person's financial, economic, consumer, or business prospects or interests.
    The bill doesn't hold police liable for the above violations, just the person who called 911. And while criminal prosecutions of this law would require a high burden of proof, civil cases would conceivably see a lot of spelunking through 911 callers' social media accounts in search of wrongthink, or perhaps the commission of perfectly legal acts meant to antagonize someone into calling 911 simply as grounds to sue the caller. This bill might impoverish some Karens, sure, but it might also lead to the emergence of an entirely new archetypal nuisance. Either way, the bill seems like a civil lawsuit factory and a boon for trial lawyers.
    more at the link

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That guy seems to be an ******* and was looking to start ****.

She seems to have brought mask for her and her mother to wear.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is what I was afraid of people with a modicum of power or a platform tripping over themselves to moral grandstand ( I love this much better than virtue signalling)

I am glad they are getting called out.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

moral grandstanding is the subject of a book just out this week--I have a copy and it's very good so far

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The big orange Karen

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Legalzoom.com

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not really groundbreaking IMO.

Republicans have been doing it since McCarthy as a tool and now all of a sudden they have issues with it.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

no, I think the original term "virtue signaling" got tagged as a right-wing or Republican "talking point." Ethicists who had been using the term all along realized they needed a new, less politically incorrect phrase. Hence Tosi's and Warmke's work on it.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Moral grandstanding is not a new term I have heard of it way before virtue signalling.

There both the same thing IMO.

Here is another good article.

https://mjps.ssmu.ca/2019/05/27/opinion-moral-grandstanding/

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Yes but to his point virtue signaling was the domain of the right with the talk of "family values" during the 90's and 00's. It was used to condemn politicians for affairs outside of marriage, gays, national pride, godliness, Muslims, blacks, etc by people who were of far less "moral fiber" than those they criticized. That's the epitome of what virtue signaling is and yes, it now has become a label the right uses against anyone on the left who tried to take moral stances as being a SJW.

Point being it's been used for so long and pervasively in politics it seems odd it became a new term in its own right.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that history just isn't consistent with anything that most folks who have looked at the term ("virtue signaling") have said or written

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_signalling#History

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

My point is the term is new, but the practice is old and well practiced by both sides

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that's not we were talking about, we were talking about the term itself. Go back far enough and Jesus Christ himself preached against virtue signaling:

https://lbf.church/the-age-old-danger-of-virtue-signaling/

So yes, moral ostentation has a long and well-studied history; but "virtue signaling" as such is a recent label

#217 Os Trigonum, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    RayRay10 and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

my bad, carry on

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She got booked
    @Os Trigonum

I know, i'm the only member who follows up on posts.

Cause I have no political agenda like every other person here.

@rocketsjudoka , they got this one

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

I saw on Telemundo a clip of a black Karen not wearing a mask and purposely spitting on her lyft driver, a compadre.
    Can't we all get along like Shakira and Wyclef.

vlaurelio, RayRay10 and tinman like this.