1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

K.J. McDaniels

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Wibie, Mar 23, 2015.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

KJ after this season is only a trade asset the following December if he signs a value deal as a RFA and looks to be worth it in the couple months prior. If he accepts a one-year QO, he has to play the full season with the Rockets to become a UFA the following Summer. So they can't trade him next season in that case.

So KJ as a trade asset.... doesn't really make sense to me.

KPap... He's gone unless he explodes in the playoffs, and becomes invaluable. The Pap contract was structured similar to the Dalembert contract, and the Delfino contract that Morey loves to play with that have a large non-guaranteed dollar amount that following year. Makes for a good draft night trade asset. I'd be surprised if the contract wasn't used or at least heavily shopped on draft night to move around or make a deal.

The questions for this offseason more or less revolve around what happens with trades, and especially whether or not Morey will consider moving Ariza.

Brewer and Smith... their situations will reside on what they are willing to accept to come back. Sounds like Brewer is leaving for a final pay day. After the season he's having, I could see a team that makes major signings this Summer, then using their full MLE on Brewer. Smith... probably has to accept a vet min deal which could be unlikely unless he just loves it here that much.

The more I look at it, the one player I actually have a hard time NOT seeing be back would actually be McDaniels. Somehow I see him back. Ariza is the unlikeliest because of his importance on the court in the short term but I wouldn't be shocked if Morey is tempted with the idea in order to play more in free agency.

The other big thing about free agency is the Bev free agency situation. I really don't think the Rockets want to pay him more than a veteran contract amount. You might hear them say they will pay whatever, but I would think that's more to drive his price up. I see them going in another direction this offseason unless.... again he has a terrific postseason.

All being said, its looking like next years lineup will have-

PG???
    SG- Harden, Johnson
    SF- Ariza, McDaniels
    PF- D-Mo, Jones
    C- Howard, Capela

Other than that, I think we could see a ton of change.... Unless we get a deep playoff run then maybe they bring everyone back at any cost.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He'd be UN-restricted next Summer in 2016.

3. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

from the CBA FAQ:

Further explanation from the faq:

Summer 2016 he would only have two years of experience and still be subject to restricted free agency.